Tag Archives: Minutes

Minutes of the Meeting of Gotham Parish Council 6th November 2012

MAIN MINUTES NOVEMBER, 2012

MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF GOTHAM PARISH COUNCIL 6th NOVEMBER, 2012, held in the Memorial Hall, Weldon Room, COMMENCING AT 7.30 P.M.

Present:    R.Muir (Chairman), M.J.Sheppard, (Vice-Chairman),

C.Dabell, J.M.F.Royce,  J.P.Anderson, E.Padden, R.Davis, T.Vennett-Smith, E.Rodgers, D.Bexon, Mrs. K. Steed.

One minute silence in memory of the War Dead.

The Council stood for one minute of silence in memory of Gotham’s War Dead.

One minute silence in memory of former Council Chairman, Greg Farnsworth.

The Council stood for one minute of silence in memory of former Council Chairman, Greg Farnsworth.

12/201: Apologies: B.J.Walker, G.Clark.

12/202: Acceptance of Apologies:

PROPOSED: R. Davis SECONDED: J.P.Anderson.  Vote: All in favour.

12/203: Declaration of Interest:

Trustees, M.J.Sheppard and  E.Padden in matters relevant to the Memorial Hall/Recreation Ground.

12/204: Minutes of the previous meeting:

The Chairman recorded thanks to E.Padden for producing the October minutes.

Resolved: That the previously circulated Minutes of the Meeting of the Parish Council held on the 2nd October, 2012, be accepted as a true record, with the following amendments:

12/183 Insert ‘K.Steed left the room during the discussion and returned after the vote’.

Last sentence: record T.Vennett-Smith’s apologies for the meeting in December, 2012.

12/186: After ‘Capital Budget’ add: ‘and donated to the Memorial Hall Trust’.

12/187: replace word ‘useless’ with ‘unhelpful’.

12/190: remove ‘sub’ from ‘Committee’ after ‘Oldham’s Farm’ add  ‘Costock’.

12/192: Remove sentence ‘ Awarded to us in order to pay for’ replace with ‘ is currently spent on assisting with the maintenance of the Hall and Recreation Ground’. Delete last sentence.

PROPOSED: J.P.Anderson  SECONDED: M.J.Sheppard. Vote: All in favour.

Progress from the Minutes:

12/198: The Council’s winter gritting salt had been delivered to Councillor J.M.F.Royce for storage.

12/198: J.P.Anderson had ascertained that residents living on an unadopted road, such as Eyres Lane, could not exclude the public from driving, walking or parking along it.

A traffic survey along Nottingham Road had been completed. The purpose of the survey was to assist in the monitoring of the traffic speeds after the Nottingham Road  traffic warning sign.

12/171: The Clerk would circulate a copy of the updated Code of Conduct, to Councillors,  at the December meeting.

12/205: Finance Monthly Payments and Receipts:

Receipts and Payments: RESOLVED: That the receipts, since the last meeting, are noted and the Accounts in Appendix F1 be confirmed and authorised for payment.

PROPOSED: J.M.F.Royce SECONDED: J.P.Anderson Vote: All in favour.

Ongoing Capital Allocations/Provisions/Recommendations 2013/14:

a)    Village Pump                         £ 500                      b)    Cemetery Development Fund  £ 500

c)    Cemetery maintenance       £ 150

PROPOSED: J.M.F.Royce  SECONDED: R.Davis.  Vote: All in favour.

Funding Requests/Applications to date 2012/13:

1)     Netball Club.-  new balls £170

2)    Allocation of £668.97 to Christmas tree planter project budget of £836.

3)     Retention of Boundary Sign budget of £1,500

                          4)     Three additional extra figures to Village Sculpture fund –  £1,500

PROPOSED: J.M.F.Royce  SECONDED: M.J.Sheppard.  Vote: All in favour.

12/206: Report by Chairman of Planning and Development Committee (J.P.Anderson).

J.P.Anderson reported the following planning items:

Four planning applications had been discussed at the meeting on the 23rd October, 2012.

Gotham Newsagents had received the offer of a grant for the setting up of a Post Office Counter within the shop. A disabled access would be necessary. Door widening and pavement improvement could only be carried out by NCC contractors. It was agreed, tactile paving would be advisable. The cost of the new access might be met by the NCC Local Improvement Scheme for 2013/14. The application form would be completed by the Clerk and submitted for approval and countersignature by County Councillor L. Sykes who would forward it for consideration to Sue Jacques at Notts County Council. T.Vennett-Smith declared an interest in the application as he is a neighbour of the property in question.

PROPOSAL: GPC submit an application for the NCC Local Improvement Scheme 2013/14 in favour of a disability access to Gotham Newsagents, Nottingham Road, Gotham.

PROPOSED: J.P. Anderson  SECONDED: R.Davis.  Vote: ten in favour, one abstention.

East Leake Parish Council representatives, C.Oatey and C.Thomas, had attended the GPC Planning Committee Meeting held on the 23rd October, 2012. As part of the Localism Act 2011, the Council’s  aim was to draw up  a Neighbourhood Plan in order to establish some planning principles. As East Leake served as a ‘hub’ for nearby villages, opinions from those villages were being sought to help form a useful document. C.Oatey would write an article for Gotham News re the East Leake Neighbourhood Plan, offering an opportunity for Gotham parishioners to submit their comments/ideas to the East Leake Parish Council Clerk.

Regarding the RBC Core Strategy, J.P.Anderson had been in contact with Planning Consultant, K.Mafham, re his progress on establishing knowledge of other Counties’ Core Strategies and their experience of  Examinations in Public. He had drawn up some conclusions and would attend a meeting with Gotham, Barton and Thrumpton in the near future.

T.Vennett-Smith reported, to date,  the Borough had no new information regarding the progress of the RBC Core Strategy.

Regarding a site in Gotham for affordable housing, J.P.Anderson and M.J.Sheppard had met NCC Highways representative,  P. Ghatiora, re a suitable site for affordable housing. He would submit a report to GPC on his findings with comments on traffic access requirements.

Barton clerk would arrange a meeting with Gotham for a discussion on the progress of the NET 2. The previous meeting date of the 8th November had been cancelled.

A leaflet giving details of a NET 2  ‘drop in session’ at the Clifton Cornerstone on the 28th November, 2012 had been received.

12/207: Environmental Matters:

Village Sculpture Quotation: R.Muir reported, F.Lunn was talking to NCC lamp post suppliers who had in stock, a standard lamp post, priced at £295. The post could be inserted into a sleeve which would be concreted in place into the ground. If, in future,  a replacement post was required, it could simply be inserted into the existing sleeve. A private contractor might prove a cheaper option than NCC contractors to carry out the post sinking. The Clerk would contact two local contractors to provide an estimate for the work.

Post Box: R.Muir reported a complaint re the  current lack of a village post box larger enough to take an A4 envelope. The Royal Mail had confirmed a six week time scale for essential checks, including planning permission, re the relocation of the post box. The Clerk would chase up the planning application for the Post Box.

Christmas Tree: A site plan and risk assessment had been submitted to K.Oakley of NCC Highways. An underground utility survey would be supplied by NCC. The license cost of £320 would be payable one week prior to installation of the fixing post. C.Dabell would purchase white Christmas lights. A lighting up ceremony with carols would be held.

PROPOSAL: GPC would install a re-usable planter suitable to hold a Christmas Tree of between fifteen and twenty feet tall.

PROPOSED: C. Dabell  SECONDED: R.Davis  Vote: All in favour.

12/208:  Memorial Hall Report:

M.J.Sheppard reported the following items:

  • Land Registration of the Recreation Ground ongoing.
  • Quotations sought for a suspended ceiling including lagging in the Moonrakers’ Room, together with improvement to storage room, under discussion.
  • Festive dinner on the 24th November, 2012 – tickets sold out.
  • The Cheeserollers’ Room had been fitted with new electric heaters.

Meeting with MH reps re Recreation Ground responsibilities/Car Park re-surfacing Quotation:

The meeting between representatives of GPC and the Memorial Hall Trustees had been cancelled due to a clash of dates. It had been agreed, to hold two meetings in February and April,  2013. A wish list of future requirements of the Memorial Hall and Recreation Ground would assist GPC in its future budget forecasts. For example, more sport was played which required good car parking facilities. Council applauded the work the Trustees had undertaken since 2005. It was of paramount importance to continue a good relationship but GPC required a better understanding of its role in the future expenditure of the Hall and grounds. PROPOSAL: Creation of a Memorial Hall Liaison Committee consisting of R.Davis, B.J.Walker, E.Rodgers, J.P.Anderson and R.Muir.

PROPOSED: E.Padden  SECONDED: T.Vennett-Smith  Vote: All in favour.

Meetings arranged for the 26th February, 2013 and 30th April, 2013.

Prior to the meetings, the new MH Liaison Committee would draw up a remit of what is expected of both parties.

12/209:  Gotham News & Media:  (R.Muir/J.P.Anderson)

November issue currently at the printers. The Clerk would ask web master, S.Butler, for statistics regarding hits on the village website.

12/210: Policing Matters/Vandalism (E.Rodgers and D.Bexon)

September – one crime concerning an assault to a male by a female who then damaged a window on a property on Nottingham Road. October – four crimes of theft reported.

E.Rodgers left the meeting at 9.40 p.m.

12/211: Chairman’s Report           

Chairman’s Fuddle to be held on Saturday, 1st December, 2012 at the Memorial Hall.

Successful demonstration of the de-fibrillator equipment, currently held at the Gotham Bus Garage, was held on the 26th October, 2012 during the Memorial Hall weekly coffee morning. In an emergency, when a heart attack was suspected, the public could telephone for emergency help from a first response team. The defibrillator could be accessed using a special pin number given by the operator and would be the first treatment option until an ambulance arrived.

Extra funding of £2,000 for the equipment and £1,000 for a metal storage box was required. The Clerk would contact Mr. Greenwood of Thrumpton re advice on equipment. funding.

12/212: Clerk’s report      Nil.

12/213: Matters to Report

A message had been received from B.J.Walker reporting new bollards alongside Leake Road, adjacent to St. Gobain’s entrance, had made the pavement too narrow for a wheelchair to pass.

J.M.F.Royce reported, a Deputy Lord Lieutenant for Nottinghamshire, Wendy Start, O.B.E. J.P. would attend the Gotham Service of Remembrance on the 11th November, 2012 at St.Lawrence Church. Parish Councillors attending – J.M.F.Royce, R.Muir, J.P.Anderson, C.Dabell, M.J.Sheppard.

R.Muir reported the temporary bollards at the junction of The Rushes and Moor Lane had blown into the middle of the road during heavy winds. This could cause a traffic accident and she called for their removal. J.M.F.Royce understood and supported their continued use until building work on Moor Lane, St Lawrence Close, was complete.

J.P.Anderson asked that Councillors who wished to edit the Minutes, should provide an edited copy for easier understanding.

T.Vennett-Smith reported a new parishioner with a dangerous dog had moved into a house on Nottingham Road. The matter had been reported to RBC.

12/214: Items for Next Agenda:

12/215: Date of Next Meeting: The next meeting will be on 4th December, 2012.    Meeting concluded at  9.57 pm.

Apologies for absence at the December meeting submitted by T.Vennett-Smith.

 

Minutes of the Meeting of the Finance Committee 30th October 2012

MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF THE FINANCE COMMITTEE HELD TUESDAY 30th October, 2012 AT 8.00 P.M. IN THE MEMORIAL HALL WELDON ROOM

Present:     J.M.F.Royce, R.Muir, B.J.Walker, G.Clark, M.J. Sheppard.

1/   Apologies: Nil    In attendance: K.Steed

2/   Acceptance of Apologies: N/A

3/   Election of Chairman:

It was moved by M.Sheppard, seconded by B.J.Walker and duly carried, that J.M.F.Royce be appointed Chairman of the Finance Committee.

Vote: four in favour, one against.

J.M.F.Royce thanked the Committee and agreed to stand as Chairman for the ensuing year.

4/   Election of Vice-Chairman:

It was moved by R.Muir, seconded by M.Sheppard and duly carried, that G.Clark be appointed Vice-Chairman of the Finance Committee.

Vote: All in favour.

G.Clark thanked the Committee and agreed to stand as Vice-Chairman for the ensuing year.

5/   Declaration of Interest: Trustees, G.Clark and M.J.Sheppard in any matter pertaining to the Memorial Hall/Recreation Ground.

6/  Minutes of the Finance Committee Meeting held 22nd November, 2011:

RESOLVED: The Minutes of the Finance Committee Meeting held on 22nd November, 2011, as previously circulated, be confirmed and signed as a true record of the business transacted.

PROPOSED: G.Clark   SECONDED: R.Muir Vote: All in favour.   

Progress: Nil to report.

7/   Bank Account Balances

a. current account – current balance: £  1,392.00 (after the payment of the October, 2012 bills)

b. 14 day account –  current balance: £ 52,358.00 (plus account interest)

c. Santander bond – current balance: £54,077.17 (re-invested with Santander at 3.20% for one year).

8/   2012/13 Budget Rolling Balances:

The current ongoing budget papers 1 – 3, prepared by the Clerk, were circulated to the Committee for inspection.

Revenue Paper 2: Nil to report.

Environment Paper 3: An item on the Cemetery Costs concerning the mowing contract had gone over budget due to one extra cut. The Clerk was in contact with the contractor. One Railway Cut too few had been carried out and one more than specified had been carried out on The Square bays.

Capital Paper 1: The repayment of Green Belt costs due from Barton and Thrumpton had not yet been received. The Gotham Tales would not be held until the unveiling of the Sculpture and, therefore, applications for outside funding was in abeyance.

Recreation Ground: Paper 4: To be discussed at the next meeting.

9/ Capital Allocations To Date for 2012/13: (Brought forward from 2011/12)

SSSI land –maintenance fund –        £    500

Village Pump:                                       £    500

Cemetery Sinking Fund:                    £    150

Turf Treatment:                                    £    500

Car Park Resurfacing:                        £ 2,000

Total:                                                      £ 3,650

10. 2012/13 Ongoing capital allocations/provisions/recommendations

a. Village Pump:                                  £    500

b. Cemetery Development Top up:  £    500 (taken out of 2013/14 budget)

PROPOSAL: To main Council that £500 per year is added to the Cemetery Development Fund).

PROPOSED: J.M.F.Royce SECONDED: G.Clark Vote: All in favour.

11/   Funding Requests/Applications to Date:

a)           Netball Club:

An application for funds had been received from E.Lomas of Gotham Netball Club for the purchase of clothing and equipment.

R.Muir and M.J.Sheppard spoke in favour of further support for the Netball Club of up to £250 over the 2012/13 financial year.

R.Muir left the meeting at 9.05 p.m.

Recommendation to main Council to support the Netball Club to the sum of £170 for the purchase of four sets of balls. That the Netball Club would be invited to re-apply for funds at the end of the 2012/13 financial year for any left over small grant funds to cover  further equipment requirements. Equipment invoices would be paid directly by GPC.

PROPOSED: B.J.Walker SECONDED: M.J.Sheppard Vote: All in favour.

b)          Environment Recommendations from Meeting held on: 18/09/2012.

  1. Christmas Tree Planter costs should be drawn from the Planter/Boundary sign embellishment budget of £1,500.

PROPOSAL: That £668.97 be added to Christmas tree project budget of £836 from the underspend for 2012/13).

PROPOSED: J.M.F.Royce SECONDED: M.J.Sheppard Vote: All in favour.

 2. Pump Sinking Fund be increased by £500.

PROPOSAL: Add £500 to the Pump Sinking Fund.

PROPOSED: J.M.F.Royce SECONDED: G.Clark Vote: All in favour.

3. Cemetery Maintenance: Annual Maintenance Fund of £150.

PROPOSED: Continuation of the £150 Cemetery annual maintenance fund.

PROPOSED: J.M.F.Royce SECONDED: G.Clark Vote: All in favour.

 4. Railway Walk Capital – £140 Top up fund.

PROPOSAL: Top Up of  £140 towards Railway Walk Capital.

PROPOSED: M.J.Sheppard SECONDED: B.J.Walker Vote: All in favour.

 5. Christmas Tree Decorations the sum of £200. (Item deleted).

 6. Add three extra figures to the Village Sculpture – the sum of £1,500.

PROPOSAL: Additional £1,500 to fund three extra figures to the Village Sculpture.

PROPOSED: B.J.Walker SECONDED: M.J.Sheppard Vote: Three in favour, one against.

7. Recommendation to add any underspends, up to £1,000  from the 2012/13 Environment Budget, as a ‘one off fund’ towards the Village Sculpture.

PROPOSED: B.J.Walker SECONDED: G.Clark. Vote: Three in favour, one against.

12/   + (For discussion at the next meeting).

13/  Any Other Financial Matters to Report: Nil to report.

14/ Date and Time of Next Meeting: 27th November, 2012 in the Weldon Room of the Memorial Hall at 7.30 p.m.

Meeting closed at 10.00 p.m.

Minutes of the Meeting of Gotham Parish Council 2nd October 2012

MAIN MINUTES OCTOBER, 2012

MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF GOTHAM PARISH COUNCIL 2nd OCTOBER, 2012, held in the Memorial Hall, Weldon Room, COMMENCING AT 7.30 P.M.

Present:    R.Muir (Chairman), M.J.Sheppard, (Vice-Chairman),

J.M.F.Royce, B.J.Walker, G.Clark, J.P.Anderson, E.Padden, R.Davis, T.Vennett-Smith, E.Rodgers, D.Bexon

In the Clerk’s absence, E.Padden recorded the minutes of the meeting which commenced at 7.35 p.m.

12/179: Apologies: C.Dabell.  In attendance: Mrs. K. Steed.

12/180: Acceptance of Apologies:

PROPOSED: R. Davis SECONDED: D.Bexon.  Vote: All in favour.

12/181: Declaration of Interest:

Trustees, M.J.Sheppard, E.Padden and G.Clark in matters relevant to the Memorial Hall/Recreation Ground.

British Legion members, J.M.F.Royce and T.Vennett-Smith on Agenda item 6. Civic Wreath.

12/182: Minutes of the previous meeting:

2/165: delete 7.40pm and insert 7.35 pm in its place.

12/166: last sentence of first paragraph: delete £562 and insert £674.40 in its place.

12/167: delete “amounted” to “estimated” in the fourth sentence.

12/168: in the last sentence, insert “by Trustees” after “submitted and before “to”.

12/176:  in the fourth sentence, insert “, British Gas” after “Telecom” and before “and”.

Resolved: That the previously circulated Minutes of the Meeting of the Parish Council held on the 4th September 2012, be amended as noted above and afterward accepted as a true record.

Progress from the Minutes:

12/66: Regarding the bill for printing costs from Caine Douglas, J.P.Anderson requested a copy for presentation to Barton Parish Council for its records and to allow payment of half the amount to Gotham Parish Council.

12/171: The following Councillors requested a paper copy of the Code of Conduct: T.Vennett-Smith, J.M.F.Royce, and E.Rodgers. C.Dabell had also requested a copy.

12/173: A cheque in payment of a Gotham News advertisement was returned to Richardson’s Carpets due to a payee error. This was still outstanding.

12/183. Casual Vacancy

Resolved: that the Vice-Chairman (M.J.Sheppard) would take the chair during this item.

Proposed: R. Muir Seconded E. Rodgers.

C. Dabell arrived at 7.50pm.

K.Steed left the room during the discussion and returned after the vote.

Resolved: that the meeting go into camera due to the nature of the discussion.

Proposed: J.M.F.Royce   Seconded: J.P. Anderson.

Council voted using ballot papers. There were four applicants.

Following discussion and voting, Mrs Karen Steed was elected by the required majority.

Resolved: the meeting should return to full session.

Proposed: T. Vennett-Smith. Seconded: J.M.F.Royce.

12/184: Finance Monthly Payments and Receipts:

Receipts and Payments: RESOLVED: That the receipts, since the last meeting, are noted and the Accounts in Appendix F1 be confirmed and authorised for payment. (The October payment sheet would be circulated to Council, as soon as possible). The Cheques were signed for payment.

PROPOSED: J.P.Anderson SECONDED: J.M.F.Royce Vote: All in favour.

12/185: Civic Wreath.

Resolved: That a Civic Wreath be obtained through the Gotham and District Branch of the British Legion and that GPC’s donation of £250 be given as in previous years, the cheque to be dated after 11th November 2012.

Proposed: B.J.Walker Seconded: J. P. Anderson. Vote: Ten in favour, Two abstentions (due to interest): T. Vennett-Smith, J.M.F.Royce.   Carried.

12/186: Playground Equipment and letter from Trustees.

A quotation by Wick steeds for a replacement “Sputnik” was received along with a letter from the Trustees advising of its suitability. The item cost was £2,912 plus VAT, the delivery charge being £145.60 plus VAT.  Resolved: that above item is purchased for the playground using funds in the Capital Budget.

Proposed: J.P.Anderson Seconded: J.M.F.Royce. Vote: All in Favour.

12/187: Report by Chairman of Planning and Development Committee (J.P.Anderson).

A training meeting on Localism had been attended by E. Padden and B.Walker which they had found informative and reported to the last Planning subcommittee meeting.

E.Rodgers reported that there was evidence of a traffic survey in the village being carried out in the village, and that David Prior thought it would be unhelpful data given the works at Clifton.  J. P. Anderson felt it was likely to be NCC and offered to try and find out more details.

The Local Plan process appears to have stalled. It was suggested that we write to ask Rushcliffe Borough Council (RBC) for an up to date schedule of all the relevant projected events and activities.  J. P. Anderson plans to investigate the possibility of joining with Barton representatives in meeting with RBC to further our understanding of the procedures after meeting with Ken Mafham.

The Village Walk aimed to identify suitable sites for building affordable homes.  Waterloo Housing Association had completed its report and the results have been received, though from Waterloo Housing Association rather than directly from RBC.  In addition, Midland Housing had already contacted landowners of the four most promising sites from a planning point of view without passing their information to us first.  Some of these have responded but the picture is not clear yet.  Investigations continue with regard to our preferred site behind the British Legion.

12/188:  Planning Decisions Received:     Nil.

12/189:  Planning Applications Received:

 (Ref: 12/01596/FUL) 12/11 Oaklands, Eyres Lane – single storey front and side extension.

PROPOSED: NO OBJECTION.

PROPOSED: R.Muir SECONDED: E.Rodgers. Carried.

12/190: Environmental Matters:

Village Sculpture Quotation: A meeting is being arranged to enable the representatives appointed by the Environment Committee to meet with the relevant professionals assisting with the practical aspects of the project.

Post Box: It is a significant problem that a central post box is no longer available in the centre of the village.  With proper strategic planning, the old box might have been relocated, successfully and to the advantage of all, near to the existing telephone box.  The two small post boxes are not sufficient for the village’s needs, although E. Rodgers suggested that increased frequency of collections might offset this problem.  T. Vennett-Smith has written to Royal Mail and awaits a reply.  BW has asked questions and been told that it would take a minimum of two months to implement change.  J.M.F.Royce is to be provided with the relevant phone number to aid our enquiries.

A strong letter is to be sent to the Royal Mail in view of the distress to villagers caused by a stubborn lack of strategy on the part of the company, despite having information to the effect of several months’ notice that changes would be necessary.

Christmas Tree: The committee continues to consider a range of options with a view to providing a Christmas Tree for the village.  Arthur Howick had offered to help make a large planter, to be placed between the pump and the church wall, which would securely hold a large tree during the Christmas season and provide a raised flowerbed at other times.  Since it may be possible to set up a cascade of sectional planters using the central sleeve when the tree is removed, prices are to be obtained for this.  Suitable trees could cost approximately £80 from Oldham’s farm, Costock.

12/191:  Memorial Hall Report:

Notable events being planned at present are a Curling Tournament and a Christmas Cabaret.  The Curling event will be on Saturday 27th October at 7pm, tickets costing £8 and a hot supper being provided.  The Cabaret will be on 24th November, tables of 8 to be booked at £18 per person and a festive dinner to be provided.

Further matters regarding item 11 were held over until after item 12.

T. Vennett-Smith left the meeting at 9.20 p.m. giving his apologies for next month’s meeting.

12/192: Meeting with Memorial Hall Representatives re Recreation Ground responsibilities: (proposed meeting: 23rd October).

This meeting, of representatives of both the Trustees and the Council, was to take place on the date above but will now be held on Tuesday 27th November at 7.30pm: details are still to be confirmed.

Meeting held on 10th July: E. Rodgers reported that initial discussions had shown that the views of Councillors would be useful to bring forward to the next meeting on the 27th November, 2012.

All members agreed that the Trustees have done noteworthy work maintaining, improving and developing the Hall and the Recreation Grounds.  The following discussion centred on how best to support them in the carrying out of their responsibilities.

Approximately £12,000 of the annual precept is  currently spent on assisting with the maintenance of the Hall and Recreation Ground. A number of members felt that that an annual, or monthly grant of this or a similar amount directly to the Trustees might have benefits for that group, including direct control over its own budgetary decisions and quicker availability of funds when required.  (Some members also felt that such a system would be respectful towards the people who give their time to the Hall and Grounds.)  As the Trust cannot claim VAT exemption, money would not buy as much when spent by this way, so this independence could be expensive, adding to either the fundraising burden of the Trustees or to the tax burden on parishioners.

It was pointed out that if we are to make such an arrangement, the amount should be in line with the proportion of the precept we currently devote to this end, so might be subject to increases or decreases accordingly.  However, some members wished to make it clear that, as Councillors we have a responsibility to support this important facility and should the Trustees need further support in the future this should not be refused purely on the basis that they had been awarded their funds.

B. J. Walker left the meeting at 9.50 p.m.

12/193: Memorial Hall Report (continued)

A letter from A.Vickers (Chairman of the Memorial Hall/Recreation Ground Trustees) was read out giving a résumé of the condition of the car park and some options for its improvement.  Quotes and advice had been obtained. To cover the full list of improvements thought advisable, £25,000 plus VAT would be needed.  In the short term, some urgent improvements are called for and our support was requested.  Environment subcommittee is to consider this in more detail.

There was a call for clarity in the headings of the spreadsheets so that items relating particularly to the Memorial Hall might be easily identified by any councillor.

12/194: Policing Matters/Vandalism (E.Rodgers and D.Bexon)

September crime figures not yet circulated.

12/195:  Gotham News & Media   (R.Muir/J.P.Anderson)

The police are making an appeal to all householders to keep access doors closed, thus preventing opportunist thieves from entering their homes.  They would like this subject mentioned in Gotham News.

12/196: Chairman’s Report            R. Muir thanked all Councillors for their work.

12/197: Clerk’s report      Nil.

12/198: Matters to Report

A villager has requested clarification regarding the status of Eyres Lane as a private road or otherwise.  J.P.Anderson to find out more from the Highways authority.

The Clerk had ordered the Winter Salt supply.

12/199: Items for Next Agenda: A quotation for work on the car park.

12/200: Date of Next Meeting: The next meeting will be on 6th November 2012.    Meeting concluded at 10.10 pm.

T.Vennett-Smith recorded his apologies for the December Council meeting.

Minutes of the Meeting of Gotham Parish Council 4th September 2012

MAIN MINUTES SEPTEMBER, 2012

MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF GOTHAM PARISH COUNCIL 4th SEPTEMBER, 2012, held in the Memorial Hall

Weldon Room, COMMENCING AT 7.30 P.M.

Present:    R.Muir (Chairman), M.J.Sheppard, (Vice-Chairman),

J.M.F.Royce, B.J.Walker, G.Clark, J.P.Anderson, E.Padden, R.Davis, T.Vennett-Smith.

12/159: Apologies: E.Rodgers, D.Bexon, C.Dabell.

12/160: Acceptance of Apologies:

PROPOSED: R. Davis SECONDED: M.J.Sheppard.  Vote: All in favour.

12/161: Declaration of Interest:

Trustees, M.J.Sheppard, E.Padden and G.Clark in matters relevant to the Memorial Hall/Recreation Ground.

12/162: Minutes of the previous meeting:

RESOLVED: That the Minutes of the Meeting of the Parish Council, held on the 3RD July, 2012 as circulated, be signed as a true record of the business transacted.

Progress from the Minutes: Nil to report.

In the absence of Councillor J.M.F.Royce, the Chairman asked that item 6 (Planning Report) be discussed as the next Agenda item.

12/163: Report by Chairman of Planning and Development Committee (J.P.Anderson).

J.P.Anderson reported that no meetings had been held during June and July 2012. The response to the RBC Core Strategy was in the process of being uploaded. A Public Enquiry was likely and would be probably held in February, 2013. The traffic model response had proven that, development on Clifton Pastures would inevitably result in rat running through Gotham.

12/164:            Planning Decisions Received:

(ref 12/00905/FUL) 19 The Rushes – GRANTED

12/165:            Planning Applications Received: Nil.

J.M.F.Royce arrived at the meeting at 7.35 p.m. He apologised for his late arrival.

12/166: Finance Monthly Payments and Receipts:

Receipts and Payments: RESOLVED: That the receipts, since the last meeting, are noted and the Accounts in Appendix F1 be confirmed and authorised for payment.

PROPOSED: J.M.F.Royce SECONDED: J.P.Anderson Vote: All in favour.

T.Vennett-Smith advised Council, that the printers had charged VAT on the production of leaflets and booklets which were not liable for VAT. The Clerk would return the invoices to the printer for alteration. Cheque no. 303279 for £674.40 was therefore withdrawn.

Bank Signatory (one extra): E.Padden suggested the need for an extra bank signatory should be debated at the next Annual General Meeting, especially if the current bank signatories were likely to be unavailable for a specific period of time in the year.

Decision on One Year Bond Investment: The Santander Bond would mature on the 1st October, 2012. The Clerk had received an offer of 3.20% per annum from Santander. J.M.F.Royce had researched offers from Close Brothers (2.9%) and The Cambridge Investment Bank (1.75%). B.J.Walker was unhappy to continue to invest with Santander, due to the current banking crisis in Spain which might ultimately affect the bank. Investment funds were currently underwritten by the FSCS scheme up to the sum of £85,000 so would not be in danger. M.J.Sheppard would speak to Glen Harris, retired banking director, and the Clerk would seek advice from RBC, re future Bond investment.

GNR start up loan of £4,500 (query from Treasurer, D.Power). The Clerk had circulated an email from D.Power, Treasurer of Gotham Nature Reserve, querying the status of the £4,500 ‘start up fund’ currently held in the GPC budget. He sought advice from the Council on whether the loan could be considered a ‘grant’ for GNR costs. It was agreed that the decision would depend on the success of future GNR grant applications

Finance Meeting: Next meeting of the Finance Committee would take place on Tuesday, 30th October, 2012 at 7.30 p.m.

12/167: Environmental Matters:

Village Sculpture Quotation: R.Muir had received a quotation of £11,895 for manufacture of the Village Sculpture from F.Lunn. This sum would cover production of the sign but not landscaping or erection. A further meeting would take place with F.Lunn, D.Charlesworth and NCC for discussion on all matters concerning the sculpture costs. Costs for landscaping, extra figures and the architect estimated to approximately £4,500.

PROPOSAL:  Acceptance of the quotation of £11,895 for the manufacture of a village sculpture.

PROPOSED: B.J.Walker SECONDED: E.Padden A recorded vote was requested by J.M.F.Royce.

Vote: In favour: B.J.Walker, E.Padden, J.P.Anderson, M.J.Sheppard, G.Clark, R.Muir, R.Davis.

Against: J.M.F.Royce. Abstention: T.Vennett-Smith.

The Clerk would write to F.Lunn, a letter of acceptance of the quotation. A firm order would not yet be placed until the outcome of the meeting with the manufacturers had taken place and a satisfactory cost for erection of the sculpture, landscaping, etc. had been agreed.

The next meeting of the Environment Committee would take place on the 18th September, 2012 at 7.30 p.m.

12/168: Memorial Hall Report from GPC reps. (M.J.Sheppard)

M.J.Sheppard reported, no July minutes available.

A Cabaret evening would take place on the 24th November, 2012. Tickets £18.

Improvements underway to include stage extension, lighting, sound system.

A complaint re driveway flooding had been received from a neighbour during a heavy thunderstorm. Temporary drainage improvements had been investigated until future car park resurfacing could be undertaken. B.J.Walker was in favour of a car park upgrade, in line with the hall improvements, together with low level lighting.

An application, by the Trustees,  had been submitted to the Football Association for free football pitch floodlighting.

12/169: Meeting with MH representatives re Recreation Ground responsibilities:

R.Muir would arrange a meeting with Trustees and GPC Focus Group members. Notes taken by E.Rodgers at the GPC Focus Group meeting on the 10th July, 2012. would be debated. The 17th September, 2012 was a possible date and would be confirmed by members’ of the Focus Group.

12/170:            Casual Vacancy:

The Clerk had notified the Electoral Officer of a Casual Vacancy on Gotham Parish Council resulting from the resignation of Councillor Gary Lowe. She had posted a notice of the Casual Vacancy on the noticeboard on the 22nd July, 2012. No applications had been received to date. The Chairman apologised for lack of notification to Council of Councillor Lowe’s resignation, prior to an article in Gotham News. This was due to the imminent copy date and her intent to publish the Casual Vacancy in the July edition.

12/171: Code of Conduct 2011/Declaration of Interest (Comparison with former document).

The Draft Code of Conduct had been accepted by Council at the July, 2012 meeting. The definitive document was now available but the Clerk had encountered difficulty with downloading from the NALC website. She had sought the advice of Hilary Gibbons of NALC who would assist with the download of the document. On receipt of the Code of Conduct, the Clerk would circulate it to Council.

12/172: Policing Matters/Vandalism (E.Rodgers and D.Bexon)

July crime figures circulated. E. Padden explained, the Police Priority Setting procedure whereby Councils emailed the crimes they wished the Police to prioritise and which was re-assessed on a three monthly basis. Car crime was the priority in Gotham at the present time.

12/173:            Gotham News & Media        (R.Muir/J.P.Anderson)        

The July edition of Gotham News had been very well received with excellent photographs of the Jubilee celebrations. Thanks recorded to the editorial team for their hard work. The next edition was due out in November with an end of October deadline for copy.

A small amount of advertising revenue was outstanding.

12/174:  Chairman’s Report:

The Chairman had received the following correspondence:

RBC Super Broadband Campaign.

Post Office Counters – A letter of confirmation re the closure of Gotham Post Office on the 10th September, 2012 with the intention of the continuation of a village service, as soon as possible.

RBC offer of five bags of winter gritting salt. Clerk would submit an application with directions for delivery to Councillor J.M.F.Royce for storage.

12/175:            Clerk’s Report:

The Clerk would attend the Town and Parish Forum on the 13th September, 2012 at the Civic Centre. The subject was ‘Affordable Housing and Housing Needs’.

The Clerk had contacted P.McManus re the Pilot Lengthsman Scheme. More details would be forthcoming of the job criteria. A parishioner had expressed an interest in the pilot scheme.

The Clerk had submitted an application to RBC for a free standing Christmas Tree in The Square. The cost of Blachere illuminations decoration of the existing fir tree in the churchyard would be £2,000.

Appointment of External Auditor, for five years from 2012/13, would be Messrs. Grant Thornton UK LLP.

12/176:  Matters to Report:

The Clerk would contact C.North, Secretary of the Environment Trust, inviting her co-operation in arranging meetings on an alternative weekday, other than a Tuesday, which was becoming overbooked. Councillors who served on sub-committees found they were double booked on a Tuesday evening on numerous occasions.

J.M.F.Royce had strimmed around the seat at the entrance to the Ridgeway.

British Telecom and British Gas, in negotiation over finalisation over pavement improvements at the North side of The Square.

E.Padden reported the Bus Depot was not due for closure for the forseeable future.

B.J.Walker had received a complaint re the reduced street lighting on Kegworth Road.

T.Vennett-Smith had received a complaint re the closure of Gotham Post Office. He had explained that the Parish Council had no control over the closure.

12/177: Items for Next Agenda: Civic Wreath.

12/178: Date and Time of Next Meeting:

The next meeting would be held on Tuesday, 2nd October, 2012 at 7.30 p.m. in the Weldon Room of the Memorial Hall

Meeting closed at 10.00 p.m.

Minutes of the Meeting of Gotham Parish Council 3rd July 2012

MAIN MINUTES JULY, 2012

MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF GOTHAM PARISH COUNCIL 3rd JULY, 2012, held in the Memorial Hall

Weldon Room, COMMENCING AT 7.30 P.M.

Present:    R.Muir (Chairman), M.J.Sheppard, (Vice-Chairman),

J.M.F.Royce, B.J.Walker, G.Clark, E.Rodgers, J.P.Anderson, D.Bexon. C.Dabell. E.Padden.

12/140: Apologies: R.Davis, T.Vennett-Smith, G.Lowe. In attendance: Mr. and Mrs. J.Birtles.

12/141: Acceptance of Apologies:

PROPOSED: G.Clark  SECONDED: M.J.Sheppard.  Vote: All in favour.

12/142: Declaration of Interest:

Trustees, M.J.Sheppard, D.Bexon, E.Padden and G.Clark in matters relative to the Memorial Hall/Recreation Ground.

12/143: Future of Gotham Post Office (.J.Birtles)

The Chairman welcomed Mr. and Mrs. Birtles to the meeting.

PROPOSAL: Suspension of Standing Orders.

PROPOSED: E.Rodgers  SECONDED: J.P.Anderson.  Vote: All in favour.

Mr.Birtles advised Council, that only e-mail communication had taken place with the Post Office. The closing date of Gotham Post Office was the 12th September, 2012. Should the business be taken over by A.Towle and J.Samson of the Spar shop, the usual police checks would be run. If it proved a viable proposition for them to run, the Post Office might continue but would probably take six months’ for re-instatement. The Spar shop had been granted planning permission for an extension which might allow space for the Post Office counter, although it would not contain a sorting office which would most likely be re-located to Clifton. Should the Clifton sorting office prove too small, both Clifton and Gotham mail sorting might be moved to Beeston. A Post Office representative was due to visit the Spar premises and Mr. and Mrs Birtles during mid July. The Clerk would contact RBC and Notts Rural Community Council for advice and help re retention of the Post Office service in the village.

The Chairman thanked Mr. and Mrs. Birtles and they left the meeting at 7.47 p.m.

PROPOSAL: Re-instatement of Standing Orders.

PROPOSED: E.Rodgers  SECONDED: J.P.Anderson.  Vote: All in favour.

12/144: Minutes of the previous meeting:

RESOLVED: That the Minutes Meeting of the Parish Council, held on the 12th June, 2012 as circulated, be signed as a true record of the business transacted, with the following alteration: Pg. 1. Core strategy –(last sentence replace ‘public’ with ‘barrister’).

12/135: Staffing Issue: (R.Muir). Re-write sixth sentence down to end of paragraph, as follows:

‘J.P.Anderson apologised for inadvertently adding his signature to a blank cheque in the cheque book. The Chairman asked several times for Councillor Royce to issue an apology to the Clerk and, after discussion, he eventually proffered an apology. He added that he thought he had apologised at the time of the incident. The Chairman then concluded the matter, asking Councillor Royce for his assurance that such an incident would not occur in the future which he was unable to promise. As a result of this issue, re the blank cheque, GPC would review the payment and signatories’ procedure in line with financial regulations’.

Progress from the Minutes:

B.J.Walker commented, that during her Chairmanship, GPC had almost come to the point of a Quality Parish Council. She considered it was now becoming dragged into the mire. It was the Chairman’s duty to uphold standards.

M.J.Sheppard and R.Muir had attended an RBC Forum on the 2nd July and had taken advice from the Monitoring Officer, re the recent staffing issue.

12/145: Finance Monthly Payments and Receipts:

Receipts and Payments: RESOLVED: That the receipts, since the last meeting, are noted and the Accounts in Appendix F1 be confirmed and authorised for payment.

PROPOSED: J.P.Anderson  SECONDED: J.M.F.Royce  Vote: All in favour.

The Chairman suggested a fifth bank signatory should be appointed. (September agenda item).

12/146: Report by Chairman of Planning and Development Committee (J.P.Anderson).

Green Belt: J.P.Anderson read out a breakdown of expenses incurred in the fight to save the green belt. Costs would be shared by Barton and Thrumpton with Gotham and Barton sharing a fifty-fifty split, as they were more affected by the development on Clifton Pastures than Thrumpton. It had been agreed that Thrumpton would contribute a nominal amount, as follows:

Gotham: £1,500  Barton: £1,500 Thrumpton: £618.39 (£117 to Gotham and £501.39 to Barton).

PROPOSAL: Acceptance of breakdown of costs pertaining to the fight to save the green belt.

PROPOSED: E.Rodgers  SECONDED: J.M.F.Royce. Vote: All in favour.

More costs were expected from K.Mafham for his work on the response to the Nottingham Core Strategy. C.Raynor assisting with details of housing numbers. P.Randle of RBC,  had warned of a delay in the Examination in Public due to a query over the housing numbers required in Nottinghamshire, which might return to the earlier forecast of fifteen thousand.

J.P.Anderson had been unable to contact Wendy Le-las who was away from her office. He would keep Council informed of any progress in discussions with her.

Affordable Housing: J.P.Anderson had spoken to the Housing Officer re affordable housing in the village and the Gotham bus depot would be added to a list of suitable sites. There was concern, that the land behind the British Legion, might be contaminated and on different levels and therefore unsuitable for building. J.P.Anderson would seek further information from A.Gorringe of British Gypsum.

12/147:  Planning Decisions Received:

12/00583/FUL- 12/8:  – 37 Leake Rd – Extensions to form attached double garage & home office  – GRANTED

12/00671/FUL –12/9: –   2 Wallace St. – Demolition of Garage and erection of a two storey side extension. – GRANTED       

12/148:  Planning Applications Received: Nil.

12/149: Environmental Matters:

Village Sculpture Quotation: R.Muir reported that F.Lunn had reported a useful meeting had taken place with a manufacturer. He was keen to draw up a meeting with GPC,  Notts Highways, D.Charlesworth and the manufacturer for a discussion on detail. He would then be in a position to provide a quotation for the sculpture. The meeting would be arranged for mid-July.

Environment Trust: A successful meeting was held on the 14th June, 2012 with formal appointment of T.Jones as Chairman, M.Howard, Vice Chairman, P.R.Dines, Treasurer and C.North, Secretary. R.Davis, G.Clark and D.Bexon would represent GPC. Six other parishioners were appointed Trustees. The Clerk had kept D.Logan informed of progress, to date. The next meeting of the Environment Trust would be held on the 24th July, 2012. G.Clark would suggest another weekday, other than a Tuesday, for regular meetings due to a conflict of Tuesday bookings with GPC meetings.

Gotham Nature Reserve: Lease awaited from solicitor, S.Kassell.

Christmas tree: A site meeting had taken place in The Square re the suggestion for a free standing Christmas tree, next to the Village Pump, planted into a suitable cylinder. The Clerk had contacted Notts Highways for a site meeting re permission. Up to date, this had not taken place. Another suggestion was the lighting of the conifer in the Churchyard, adjacent to the front entrance to the Church. The Clerk would contact Blachere Christmas Lighting Company re a quote for dropping lights over the conifer. The problem of the Church electricity supply might negate the conifer’s use as a Christmas tree. A faculty from Southwell Diocese might be required to use the tree.

12/150: Memorial Hall Report from GPC reps. (M.J.Sheppard)

M.J.Sheppard reported, due to a conflict of dates with the GPC main meeting, there had been no GPC representative at the last meeting of the Memorial Hall Trustees. Reading from the minutes, he reported the following items:

CCTV not receiving clear pictures due to a new part being required. Cost £1,000.

New heater for the Cheeserollers’ would be fitted by C.Anstey.

R.Wilkinson researching new sound system for the stage.

Glen Harris, ex retail banker of Barton, had been approached to join the Trustees.

12/151: Meeting with MH representatives re Recreation Ground responsibilities:

E.Rodgers would take notes during an interim  meeting for a discussion re a list of objectives for discussion with Memorial Hall representatives. The meeting would take place on the 10th July, 2012 at 7.30 p.m. in the Cheeserollers’ Room. The Focus Group would consist of B.J.Walker, J.P.Anderson, E.Rodgers, R.Davis, M.J.Sheppard and G.Clark.

12/152:  Policing Matters/Vandalism (E.Rodgers and D.Bexon)

Crime figures circulated. Three incidents of break-ins and petty vandalism to vehicles occurred in June.

12/153:  Gotham News & Media    (R.Muir/J.P.Anderson)    

R.Muir reported a lengthy issue was due out in July.

12/154:  Chairman’s Report:

The Chairman reported the following matters:

Appraisal with the Clerk. New working conditions were circulated to Councillors. A Sage accountancy package would be priced.

Town and Parish Conference:The Chairman and Vice-Chairman had attended the Town and Parish Conference re the Localism Act 2011. This Act was concerned with Parish involvement with a host of jobs formerly undertaken by the Borough Council. Gotham already undertook a good deal of jobs such as ground maintenance, litter collection, etc. The precept might need to be raised to cover the costs of extra parish involvement with routine jobs. There was a large budget available for the start up and running costs of community shops which could be housed within community halls. West Bridgford Police Station had a new Contact Centre. L.Ogilvie of NALC gave a talk on the General Power of Competence.

Correspondence: The Chairman had received a formal complaint from an elector against a member of the Council.

A letter had been received from a parishioner re the appalling parking habits of some parents of children at Gotham Primary School. The Clerk had explained to the complainant that this was a Police matter and had already been discussed at an earlier meeting when P.C. Kelly Warwick had attended. The Chairman agreed the parking was dangerous, especially in the vicinity of the bus lay-by. An article re this matter would be contained in Gotham News.

A letter of thanks had been received from Mr. and Mrs. Bradley for the gift of a hydrangea from GPC to mark their recent  Diamond Wedding Anniversary.

12/155:  Clerk’s Report:

The Clerk had received notice from NALC that the last Code of Conduct had ended on the 30th June, 2012. The new, simplified, Draft Code of Conduct 2012, circulated to Councillors, was to be formerly adopted by the 1st July or as soon as possible after that date.

PROPOSAL: Adoption of the new Draft Code of Conduct 2012 with appropriate changes suitable for GPC, i.e. name, etc.

PROPOSED: J.P.Anderson  SECONDED: E.Rodgers  Vote: nine in favour, one against.

September agenda (Comparison of documents new with old).

The Clerk had circulated the newly formatted declaration of interest forms for completion by Councillors. She would submit the completed forms to D.Swaine, RBC Monitoring Officer. Absent members had been posted a form with return envelope.

12/156:  Matters to Report:

J.M.F.Royce had attended the Armed Forces Flag Raising Ceremony on Monday, 23rd June, 2012. The ceremony was followed by tea at St.Gile’s Church Hall.

Nottingham Road Verges: Negotiations still underway with Notts Highways South re improvements.

British Telecom and British Gas in negotiation over finalisation over pavement improvements at the North side of The Square.

Temporary bollards were in place, opposite the entrance to Manor Farm, for protection of the pavement during current house building.

D.Bexon had been approached by a parishioner complaining about cars parked on Cheese Hill with suspected drug takers and dealing in the local public houses. She would report the matter to the Police.

J.P.Anderson had received final documents re plans for the widening of the A453.

C.Dabell reported recent storm damage to trees along the Railway Walk. S.Watson had removed a fallen tree from the pathway.

NALC booking form re The Localism Act 2011 at Trowell Village Hall on 23rd July, 2012. B.J.Walker and E.Padden to attend. Cost £60 per head.

12/157: Items for Next Agenda: Code of Conduct (Check variance between old and new).

12/158: Date and Time of Next Meeting: Cancellation of August meeting for Holiday. 

Agreed: Cancellation of the August meeting for the holiday period. J.M.F.Royce suggested a meeting could be held on the 31st July, 2012 should there prove adequate business for discussion and to alleviate a lengthy September agenda. To be agreed by the Chairman and Vice-Chairman by the 20th July. E.Rodgers and D.Bexon would be unavailable to attend on the 31st July. M.J.Sheppard would collect GPC mail from the Post Office during the Clerk’s holiday.

September Meeting would be held on the 4th September, 2012 at 7.30 p.m. in the Weldon Room of the Memorial Hall.  (E.Rodgers tendered her apologies).

Meeting closed at 9.40 p.m.