Tag Archives: Environment Committee

Notice of a Meeting of the Environment Committee (31/01/17)

GOTHAM PARISH COUNCIL

Mrs J A Raven
Clerk to the Council
33 Leake Road
Gotham
Notts
NG11 0HW
Tel: 0115 9830863
Email: gothamparishclerk@outlook.com

25 January 2017

Dear Councillor,

YOU ARE duly summoned to attend an ENVIRONMENT COMMITTEE MEETING to be held on

TUESDAY, 31st January, 2017

commencing at 7.30 p.m. in the Weldon Room of the Memorial Hall.

Yours sincerely,

J.A.Raven, Clerk to the Council

AGENDA

1. Acceptance of G.May as a member of the Environment Committee.
2. Election of Chairman
3. Election of Vice Chairman
4. Apologies
5. Declaration of Interest
6. Minutes of previous Meeting held on the 15th November, 2016
7. Progress Arising from the Minutes
8. Removal of Elders along the Railway Walk
9. Relocation of 5 Village Seats from the Well House and The Square.
10. Choice of Tree for The Square
11. Matters to Report
12. Date and Time of Next Meeting.

Committee Members: C.Dabell, J.M.F.Royce, G.Hutter, D.Bexon, M.Wilkins, P.Bower, G.May.

Distribution: All Councillors.

Members of the Public and Press are cordially invited to attend.

Minutes of a Meeting of the Environment Committee (15/11/16)

Members present: Councillors,  J.M.F. Royce, M. Wilkins, G.Hutter, P.Bower, C.Dabell.

1/ Election of Chairman:

Nomination for Chairman of this meeting: C.Dabell.

PROPOSED: J.M.F.Royce SECONDED: M.Wilkins. Vote: All in favour.

C.Dabell accepted the Chair but could not undertake the permanent Chairmanship due to work pressures.

2/ Apologies:  D.Bexon.

Acceptance of Apologies: PROPOSED: J.M.F.Royce, SECONDED: M.Wilkins. Vote: All in favour.

3/ Declaration of Interest: Nil.

4/ Minutes of previous meeting:

RESOLVED:  That the Minutes of the Environment Committee, held on the 18th October, 2016 as previously circulated, be confirmed and signed as a true record of the business transacted, with the following amendment: Item 7: Flooding: 2nd paragraph, third sentence. Replace ‘drain underneath’ to ‘open ditch’.

PROPOSED:  M.Wilkins SECONDED:.P.Bower. Vote: All in favour.

5/ Progress From the Minutes:

GPC Tabards: The Clerk had not yet received the GPC high vis tabards back following the Remembrance Day parade. Four, out of ten, went missing after the Heritage Day held on the 18th September, 2016. G.Hutter to contact the Scouts who kindly marshalled during the Heritage Day.

Licenses: Hanging Basket and Christmas Lighting licenses applications submitted to NCC.

6/ Christmas Tree Installation:

C.Dabell reported erection of the Christmas tree to commence on the 2nd December, 2016. A. Howick to assist with the tree lighting with the loan of a cherry picker for C. Dabell to stand in to hang the lights. The tree has been kindly donated by a parishioner.

7/ Well House Refurbishment (Conclusion):

C. Dabell to collect the Well House timer from G.Holbrook and arrange its fitting by A.Howick.

G.Hutter had ordered two black benches from Broxap at a cost £1,437.60, plus VAT. The benches require a central support post. Expected delivery within three to four weeks. Saunders Bros. to be asked to fit them.

8/  Flooding – Up to date progress:

The NCC drain guzzler had been in action on Leake Road last week. G.Hutter had contacted Jim Freeman, of NCC, re the need for a village ditch survey. Jim Freeman progressing with ACL. (Drain clearance Company)

Nottm City Transport had promised to clear the bus drain and had removed trees that had rooted within the drain. Copies of correspondence concerning flooding to be sent to County Councillor A.Brown.

The Clerk had submitted an application to RBC for a supply of sandbags to be stored in the Memorial Hall shed, with the kind permission of the Trustees.

9/ Railway Walk Elder Tree Removal:

The Clerk had obtained a quotation for complete elder tree removal from J.Taylor.

C.Dabell to obtain two more quotations. The amount of elder trees to be removed could be lessened to cut the price. It was suggested, marking the trees to be removed with a painted cross.  C.Dabell to carry out elder inspection.

10/ Planting along Nottingham Road, between Bidwell Cres. and Gotham Garage:

The Clerk was in contact with K.Hourd of NCC who had requested an underground service map to be sent, as soon as possible. To date, no map had appeared. Clerk to progress.

11/ Improvements/Village Noticeboard:

Councillor Bexon progressing.

The Clerk had received details of a company who were able to supply a three compartment noticeboard.

12/ Replacement Seating in The Square using old Well House seats:

J.M.F.Royce reported, four matching seats with RBC logo. Two in The Square (in poor condition), one outside the New Rectory by the bus stop (fair condition) one in front of the Village Sculpture.  J.M.F.Royce offered to inspect all four seats and ask for the help of A.Howick re refurbishment, if possible. Members of the Environment Committee asked to inspect the seats prior to the next meeting, for a final decision on their condition and possible replacement using the redundant Well House seats.

13/ Choice of Tree Replacements in The Square:

J.Taylor had removed the dead Rowan Trees root balls.

A third quotation for removing the root balls had been received from J. Taylor totalling £425 plus VAT.

PROPOSAL: Purchase of one white beam and one sweet chestnut from Six Acre Nurseries.

PROPOSED: M.Wilkins SECONDED: J.M.F.Royce. Vote: Four in favour, one abstention.

C.Dabell to enquire correct soil medium for best planting.

14/ NCC Community Improvement Scheme. (New scheme suggestions)

The previously suggested kissing gate at the Railway Walk, Brickyard track was considered unnecessary due to it preventing easy passage for wheelchair users.

G.Hutter to refer this item to the Trustees of the Memorial Hall for the benefit of new playground equipment..

15/  Matters to Report:

Hill Road Litter etc.: H. Taylor had reported, no police presence to the reported site of possible drug dealing, opposite to Elliott’s Transport garage.

Chairmanship. J.M.F.Royce suggested it is perhaps time to wind Environment Committee meetings down if no one is prepared to take on the Chairmanship. Environment matters would be covered during main GPC meetings.

Broadband: M.Wilkins reported Broadband offers, sent recently via email from Steven Adams, new Broadband Engagement Officer for the Better Broadband for Nottinghamshire programme being run by Nottinghamshire County Council, did not benefit parts of the village, including Kegworth Road as these areas are not activated. Clerk to alert S.Adams of the situation.

Fracking: Today’s meeting of the County Council had voted to approve drilling exploration at Misson.

Centenarian: The Clerk reported a parishioner is due to celebrate her 100th birthday on the 20th November, 2016. As it is customary for GPC to mark the event, she had purchased a plant and card for presentation on the day, by G.Hutter, Vice Chairman.

December Main Meeting: The Clerk suggested a small pre meeting drink and refreshment at the December meeting. Councillors invited to donate a plate of nibbles. Clerk and G. Hutter to bring wine, beer and nibbles. Clerk to supply glasses.

16/  Date and Time of Next Meeting:

The next meeting will be held in the Weldon Room of the Memorial Hall on Tuesday, 17th January, 2017 at  8.30 p.m.

Meeting closed: 10.00 p.m.

Minutes of a Meeting of the Environment Committee (18/10/16)

Members present: Councillors, G.Holbrook,  J.M.F. Royce, M. Wilkins, M.J.Sheppard.

In Attendance: Councillors, B.J.Walker, P.Bower.

1/ Apologies:  D.Bexon, C.Dabell, G.Hutter.

2/ Declaration of Interest: Nil.

3/ Minutes of previous meeting:

RESOLVED:  That the Minutes of the Environment Committee, held on the 20th September, 2016 as previously circulated, be confirmed and signed as a true record of the business transacted:

PROPOSED:  M.J.Sheppard SECONDED:.J .M.F.Royce Vote: All in favour.

4/ Progress From the Minutes:

Item 4: Cuckoo Bush Mound: K.Thorpe had reported that A.Urry had carried out an excellent job in clearing and tidying the Cuckoo Bush Mound.

5/ Well House Refurbishment (Conclusion): deferred until the next meeting.

6/  Choice of Tree Replacements in The Square: deferred until next meeting.

A third quotation for removing the root balls had been received from J. Taylor totalling £425 plus VAT.

PROPOSAL: Acceptance of J.Taylor’s quotation to remove Rowan Trees root balls leaving a space for new trees one cubic metre in size and infilled with topsoil. PROPOSED: M.Wilkins SECONDED: M.J.Sheppard. Vote: All in favour..

7/ Flooding – Report on Flooding Meeting held on the 13th October, 2016:

M.J.Sheppard reported, 38 parishioners had attended, including Councillors and guests. A very informative meeting. The County/Borough Councils are aiming to write informing homeowners detailing their responsibilities re riparian* (Riparian landowner – one through whose land a natural or manmade watercourse runs).

The Village Flood Survey resulted in a slow response over six weeks which was unhelpful in planning the next step. A. Howick and C. Taylor of NCC, had inspected the village drainage systems today and will circulate a report to affected homeowners. The Diocese own the farm land off Leake Road and would be responsible for the open ditch. Chris Wright of 70 Leake Road offered to help on a village flood committee. It was suggested that each affected sector should elect an inspection team to regularly check numbered gulleys on a map, recording their findings to keep an up to date  observation diary. There are currently only two Council gulley guzzlers in the County. M.J.Sheppard to speak to British Gypsum about this and ask if they would clean out the Gotham gulleys with their equipment. Another approach would be to obtain quotations from private drainage clearance contractors and ask the Council to pay for it, if they are unable to carry out the work themselves. M.J.Sheppard offered to produce a map of village gulleys as a first step.

8/ Budget 2017/18:

The Clerk circulated the current budget for 2016/17 showing up to date spending. It was agreed an added item of two strims of the Railway Walk ditch in April and October should be incorporated into the 2017/18 budget. The Railway Walk needs the removal of elders. J.Taylor to be asked to quote. He had already calculated it would take two days’ work.

The Clerk reported Horizon Contractors were not increasing mowing charges for 2017/18.

PROPOSAL: 2017/18 Environment Budget to be similar to 2016/17 i.e. £4,050. PROPOSED: J.M.F.Royce      SECONDED: M.Wilkins. Vote: All in favour.

Recommendation Capital Proposals: a/ Pump Sinking Fund – £1,000.

b/ The Square Furniture Maintenance £2,000.

PROPOSED: J.M.F.Royce SECONDED: M.Wilkins. Vote: All in favour.

9/ Tree Planning along Nottingham Road, between Bidwell Cres. and Gotham Garage:

Clerk to obtain Services Map before proceeding further.

10/ Improvements/Village Noticeboard:

The Clerk had obtained confirmation from Councillor Bexon that she would progress this item with the parent at Gotham School re his interest in refurbishing the noticeboard.

J.M.F.Royce had attempted a repair to the locks on the noticeboard but they do not work under load.

There are too many long term notices left in the noticeboard. The back board is too difficult to insert drawing pins into.

11/ Replacement Seating in The Square using old Well House seats:

J.M.F.Royce to ask A. Howick to cost  removal of the two damaged seats in The Square and the seat outside the New Rectory to be replaced by the seats removed from the Well House.

12/ NCC Community Improvement Scheme. (New scheme suggestions)

G.Holbrook to ask A. Copson to quote for improving the winged fencing at the Brick Yard entrance to the Railway Walk with the installation of a kissing gate in the middle.

13/  Matters to Report:

Remembrance Day: M.J.Sheppard to organise the appropriate road closure during the Remembrance Day march. J.M.F.Royce offered to steward on Remembrance Day. The march will not extend to Bidwell Crescent as there will not be a police presence.

Arrangements for Remembrance Day to be a main agenda item.

Hanging Baskets: The Clerk is currently progressing the NCC  Hanging Basket licence.

Well House Timer: G.Holbrook not yet fixed the new timer.

New Environment Committee Member: G.Holbrook nominated P. Bower to join the Environment Committee.

Seconded: M.Wilkins. P. Bower accepted.

14/  Date and Time of Next Meeting:

The next meeting will be held in the Weldon Room of the Memorial Hall on Tuesday, 15th  November, 2016 at  8.30 p.m.

Meeting closed: 10.10 p.m.

Notice of a Meeting of the Environment Committee (15/11/16)

GOTHAM PARISH COUNCIL

Mrs J A Raven
Clerk to the Council
33 Leake Road
Gotham
Notts
NG11 0HW
Tel: 0115 9830863
Email: gothamclerk@yahoo.co.uk

10 November 2016

Dear Councillor,

YOU ARE duly summoned to attend an ENVIRONMENT COMMITTEE MEETING to be held on

TUESDAY, 15th November, 2016

commencing at 8.30 p.m. in the Weldon Room of the Memorial Hall.

Yours sincerely,

J.A.Raven, Clerk to the Council

AGENDA

1. Election of Chairman
2. Apologies
3. Declaration of Interest
4. Minutes of previous Meeting held on the 18th October, 2016
5. Progress Arising from the Minutes
6. Christmas Tree Installation
7. Well House Refurbishment. (Conclusion) New Timer
8. Flooding – Up to date progress
9. Railway Walk ElderTree Removal
10 Planting along Nottingham Road, between Bidwell Cres. and Gotham Garage (email – K.Hourd)
11. Improvements/ Village Noticeboard
12. Replacement Seating in The Square and outside New Rectory
13. Choice of Tree Replacements in The Square – Progress
14. NCC Community Improvement Scheme. (Kissing Gate at entrance to Railway Walk)
15. Matters to Report
16. Date and Time of Next Meeting.

Committee Members: C.Dabell (Vice Chairman), P.Bower, J.M.F.Royce, G.Hutter, D.Bexon, M.Wilkins.

Distribution: All Councillors.

Members of the Public and Press are cordially invited to attend.

Notice of a Meeting of the Environment Committee (18/10/16)

GOTHAM PARISH COUNCIL

Mrs J A Raven
Clerk to the Council
33 Leake Road
Gotham
Notts
NG11 0HW
Tel: 0115 9830863
Email: gothamclerk@yahoo.co.uk

11 October 2016

Dear Councillor,

YOU ARE duly summoned to attend an ENVIRONMENT COMMITTEE MEETING to be held on

TUESDAY, 18th October, 2016

commencing at 8.30 p.m. in the Weldon Room of the Memorial Hall.

Yours sincerely,

J.A.Raven, Clerk to the Council

AGENDA

1. Apologies
2. Declaration of Interest
3. Minutes of previous Meeting held on the 20TH September, 2016
4. Progress Arising from the Minutes
5. Well House Refurbishment. (Conclusion)
6. Flooding – Report on Flooding meeting held on the 13th October, 2016
7. Budget for 2017/18
8. Tree Planting along Nottingham Road, between Bidwell Cres. and Gotham Garage (email – K.Hourd)
9. Improvements/ Village Noticeboard
10. Replacement Seating in The Square using old Well House seats
11. NCC Community Improvement Scheme. (New scheme suggestions)
12. Choice of Tree Replacements in The Square
13. Matters to Report
14. Date and Time of Next Meeting.

Committee Members: G.Holbrook (Chairman), C.Dabell (Vice Chairman) M.J. Sheppard, J.M.F.Royce, G.Hutter, D.Bexon, M.Wilkins.

Distribution: All Councillors.

Members of the Public and Press are cordially invited to attend.

Minutes of a Meeting of the Environment Committee (21/06/16)

Members present: Councillors, G.Holbrook, G. Hutter, J.M.F. Royce, M. Wilkins, M. Sheppard,  D Bexon.

In Attendance: Councillor, P.Bower, K.Smith.

PROPOSAL:Suspension of Standing Orders.

PROPOSED: G.Hutter  SECONDED: J.P.Anderson. Vote: All in favour.

Councillor, G.Hutter introduced Kevin Smith of 38 Leake Road who had recently suffered flash flooding to his home.

Mr. Smith described events during the previous week when he had tried, in vain, to obtain help from Notts County Council and Rushcliffe Borough Council. During a perilous weekend, Mr. Smith and his partner had made many telphone calls to the Emergency lines to both Councils and only received assistance after four or five days’. County Councillor Andrew Brown had intervened on his behalf and Severn Trent had supplied crystal filled black bags, resembling sand bags, which had eased the situation. There were two minor car accidents on Leake Road due to flooding.

Mr. Smith had subsequently discovered the drainage channels leading down Leake Road and across the fields to Fairham Brook were severely clogged with silt, debris and weeds. The drainage system required urgent attention.

It was agreed, to post up flood emergency telephone numbers and websites for access via the website and Facebook page for future reference.

M.J.Sheppard had met Kate Emery from the Councils’ Emergency Response Team who will survey the drainage system in Gotham. The culverts under the roads are the responsibility of NCC whereas the ditches in front of properties is the responsibility of the homeowner.

M.J.Sheppard thanked Mr. Smith for his attendance at the meeting and he left at 9.10 p.m.

PROPOSAL:Re-instatement of Standing Orders.

PROPOSED: G.Holbrook  SECONDED: M.J.Sheppard. Vote: All in favour.

G.Hutter criticised the Clerk for not reporting Mr. Smith’s plight when he had called at her house during the flooding.

The Clerk replied, she had not been home at the time and her husband had reported the incident to her on her return. Mr. Smith had not indicated it had been a Parish Council issue but was calling as a neighbour.

1.     Election of Chairman:

It was moved by M.J.Sheppard, seconded by M.Wilkins and duly carried by five votes in favour and one against:

That  G.Holbrook be appointed Chairman for the ensuing year.

G.Holbrook accepted the position of Chairman and thanked the Committee.

2.     Election of Vice-Chairman:

It was moved by G.Hutter, seconded by D.Bexon and duly carried by five votes in favour and one against:

That  C.Dabell be appointed Vice-Chairman for the ensuing year.

3.    Apologies: C.Dabell, G.Clark

4.       Declaration of Interest: Nil.

5.       Minutes of previous meeting:

RESOLVED:  That the Minutes of the Environment Committee, held on the 19th April, 2016 as previously circulated, be confirmed and signed as a true record of the business transacted:

PROPOSED: J.M.F.Royce SECONDED: G.Holbrook.  Vote: All in favour.

Progress: Nil to report.

6.       Well House Refurbishment Progress:

G.Hutter reported, roof bonnets can be included in the refurbishment, under the Heritage Lottery contingency fund of £2,000. (Cost of the bonnets – £1,070).

The electricity supply for the Heritage Day to be confirmed with Scott Young of NCC.

The next meeting of the Project Team Sub-Committee will be held on the 28th June, 2016 at 7.30 p.m in the Weldon Room.

7.       Choice of Tree Replacements in The Square:

M.J.Sheppard had consulted Six Acre Nurseries for advice re suitable tree replacements. It was agreed, English varieties would be preferable.

8.       Improvements/Weatherproofing Village Noticeboard:

The Clerk to price two noticeboards from Arien signs. A double for public use and a single for Parish Council use.

9.       Cuckoo Bush Mound:

G.Hutter to ask the Countryside Trust to tidy the Cuckoo Bush Mound, prior to the Heritage Day Walk on the 18th September, 2016. D.Bexon to inspect the area.

The Heritage Trail maps and information need re-jigging. They will be available from Spar and via PDF to mobile telephones.

10.   Flooding Information for website re sandbags, etc.

It was agreed, RBC and NCC had not performed well during the recent flash flooding which affected over forty homes in Gotham. Information, re sand bag provision and emergency telephone numbers, as previously discussed, will be available both on the Website and Facebook page. County Councillor A.Brown had written an article on flooding for Gotham News. S.Plowright had inspected the dyke, alongside the Railway Walk and would estimate the cost of clearance with a digger. J.M.F.Royce would walk with an RBC representative, explaining the layout of the village drainage system.

11.  Matters to Report:

M.Wilkins had reported flytipping at the Nottingham Road layby, opposite to the junction with Barton Lane, to RBC.

G.Hutter reported, the Weldon Spring Heritage Board required repair to the frame, plus cleaning. She would seek advice from K.Thorpe or A.Vickers. D.Bexon to inspect the Board.

G.Hutter reported the Cheese Hill public seat had become overgrown and the area requred pruning to open up the vista. G.Holbrook has asked A.Urry to carry out the work.

M.J.Sheppard reported, the slabs around the Sculpture seat had been installed but were less than expected. The site was difficult to work with due to a manhole cover and sloping ground.

The public seat, removed from Kegworth Road to outside Gotham Primary School, was acceptable.

The Clerk had reminded K.Hourd to research the possibility of planting trees along the verges of Nottingham Road, between Bidwell Crescent and Gotham Garage.

12.  Date and Time of Next Meeting:

The next meeting will be held in the Weldon Room of the Memorial Hall on Tuesday, 19th  July, 2016 at  8.30 p.m.

Meeting closed: 10.15 p.m.