Minutes of the Meeting of the Planning & Development Committee – 18 December 2012

MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF THE PLANNING & DEVELOPMENT COMMITTEE HELD ON TUESDAY,  18TH DECEMBER, 2012 at 7.30 p.m. IN THE MEMORIAL HALL WELDON ROOM

Present:  J.P.Anderson (Chairman)   E. Rodgers, (Vice-Chairman) B.J.Walker, E.Padden, G.Clark, R.Muir,  K.Steed.

1/    Apologies: M.J.Sheppard,T.Vennett-Smith.  

2/    Acceptance of Apologies:

PROPOSED: R.Muir, SECONDED: B.J.Walker    All in favour.

3/    Declaration of Interest: Nil.

4/    Minutes of the Previous Meeting:  (There had been no meeting held in November, 2012).

RESOLVED:  That the Minutes of the Planning & Development Committee, held on the 30TH October, 2012, as previously circulated, be confirmed and signed as a true record of the business transacted.

PROPOSED: B. J. Walker   SECONDED: E.Padden. Vote: All in favour.

5/    Progress from the last Minutes, not on the Agenda:.

Item 10: Affordable Housing in Gotham: . An NCC representative had inspected the site behind The Royal British Legion and had submitted a report on the site to GPC. It had been copied to St.Gobain for their comments on the scheme.

6/    Planning Decisions Received:

12/13 (ref: 12/01666/FUL)  97 Nottingham Rd – Use part of premises for sale and display of upholstery                                                                                    products and for assembly of furniture – GRANTED

7/    Planning Applications Received: Nil.

8/    A453 Widening:

The Chairman had attended a meeting in Barton, together with representatives of the building contractors, Laing O’Rourke.  The timescale for the A453 widening was January, 2013 until the end of 2015. The main points were, closure of Barton Lane, flooding issues and planting of shrubbery adjacent to Barton. Barton Parish Council was happy with the plans and most of the meeting concentrated on final closure of Barton Lane in March, 2013 with work commencing in January, 2013. The reason for closure is mainly for safety issues regarding heavy plant and spoil storage. The implications of Barton Lane closure for Gotham were significant with extra vehicles rat running through the village and past the school. Some traffic slowing procedures might be implemented such as traffic lights at the Crusader roundabout, pedestrian crossing in Gotham to deter rat runners. A roundabout would eventually be built at Fabis Road crossroads to speed traffic flow. There would be no right turn from the A453 into the Clifton Petrol Station and the junction at the power station would be made difficult for right turners to further deter rat runners through Kegworth and Gotham. None of the above deterrents would be in place by March, 2013 so it would inevitably prove a difficult traffic situation in Gotham in the first months of the Barton Lane closure. NCC representative, Karen Nurse would put GPC in contact with transport manager, Peter Goode who might be able to implement the installation of temporary traffic lights at Gotham School to safeguard children and deter rat running down Kegworth Road. A pedestrian crossing near to the School would prevent inappropriate car parking as parking on the zig zag lines, either side of a crossing, was illegal.

B.J.Walker reported that Midland Station was being closed on a temporary basis in March, 2013 during the development of the transport hub. Rail passengers would use The Parkway Station which could further congest the A453. Public information evenings on the A453 widening were to take place at Clifton Leisure Centre on the 11/12th January and at Kegworth on the 13th January.

9/  Green Belt Issues:

The Chairman reported the Inspector had responded to the RBC Core Strategy critically due to the non conformation to the Regional Spatial Strategy in that too few houses were planned for the urban extension, as dictated in the original Strategy which referred to a ‘B Line Housing Policy’. The whole thrust for Gotham was to get the Regional Strategy repealed by March, 2013. GPC had the support of the Rt. Hon. Kenneth Clark and Planning Consultant, Ken Mafham would consult C.P.R.E. on this point. If the Regional Spatial Strategy was revoked, it would take a great deal of pressure from our situation. The Inspector had also complained about the lack of public consultation which was  another valid point. K.Mafham considered that these points would hold up the whole planning procedure. Their sustainability appraisal was weak and may not be upheld by the European Court. Another point for consideration is the current lack of mortgage availability which was not being taken into account by the Inspector’s insistence that not enough housing numbers were in the RBC Core Strategy. From the traffic aspect, RBC had run mitigation studies which would bring down the number of travellers’ initiatives. Travel options were: walking children to school, cycling, public transport, shuffle buses to the tram. All called ‘Smart Travel’. The report stated ‘there would be congestion in the local villages and it is up to the Developer to sort this problem out’. Without a development brief, RBC had taken the traffic responsibility out of the equation. It was obvious that if Clifton Pastures was developed, the problem of rat running would begin again. When the A453 is working and Barton Lane is closed, we would be able to gauge the affect on Gotham. GPC could run its own traffic study at that time. Finally, GPC needed to await the reaction of RBC to the Inspector’s report. The Chairman would continue to keep the Planning Committee updated on events with relevant emailed bullet points. In the worst case scenario,  with a large housing development at Clifton, the Chairman suggested a continuation of the Gotham by-pass might be an option to cope with extra traffic. The new transport hub at Junction 24 on the M.1. might influence traffic flow through Gotham. A SSSI is no barrier to the Highways Agency who could remove rare specimens to another site. E.Rodgers suggested an extension to the ring road could be routed around the Eastern side of the village, to join the mini roundabout on Leake Road. A discussion took place on the ring road issue and R.Muir suggested a village census on a by-pass continuation.

10/   NET:

The discovery of Iron age remains had stopped work at the Larkhill site.

11 /  Matters to Report:

R.Muir suggested a gift of wine for the Howick family to thank them for their work on the village Christmas Tree installation.

PROPOSAL: A gift of a £50 hamper of wine to be purchased for the Howick family.

PROPOSED: J.P.Anderson  SECONDED: E.Rodgers. Vote: All in favour.

M.J.Sheppard to purchase and deliver the wine.

The Clerk was asked to contact NCC Highways to ask them to cut back vegetation on Leake Road outside St. Gobain and adjacent to the beginning of The Ridgeway.

12/ Date & Time of Next Meeting: The next meeting would be held in the Weldon Room of the Memorial Hall on Tuesday, 22nd January, 2013 at 7.30 p.m.

Meeting closed at 8.55 p.m.