Minutes of the Environment Committee Meeting (29/01/13)

ENVIRONMENT MEETING 29th JANUARY, 2013

MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF THE ENVIRONMENT COMMITTEE HELD ON TUESDAY 29th January, 2013

 COMMENCING AT 7.30 P.M. IN THE WELDON ROOM

Members Present: C.Dabell (Chairman), R.Davis, (Vice-Chairman) E.Padden, G.Clark, B.J.Walker, M.J.Sheppard, R.Muir, K.Steed.

1/    Apologies: Nil.

2/    Acceptance of Apologies: N/A

3/   Declaration of Interest: Nil.

4/ Minutes of the Previous Meeting:

RESOLVED:  That the Minutes of the Environment Committee, held on the 20th November, 2012 as previously circulated, be confirmed and signed as a true record of the business transacted.

PROPOSED: G.Clark SECONDED: M.J.Sheppard Vote: All in favour.

5/  Progress arising from previous Minutes:

Pg. 1 Item 8: G.Clark and E. Padden had successfully planted six broad leafed lime trees on Leake Road.

6/ Village Sculpture Progress Report:

E.Padden provided a breakdown of the cost of the sculpture based on the available evidence. An extra cost of £1,923 error factor was added. The  Clerk  had ascertained from  Aon insurers that annual costs would be £200-£250 for replacement value of up to £20,000. She would increase this to £30,000 to cover inflation.

The shortfall in capital amounted to £4,964. A fundraising campaign would take place to cover this amount. M.J.Sheppard had received an anonymous donation of £100 for a plaque.

Village Sculpture Costings

env_accounts

PROPOSAL: Recommendation to main Council to proceed with the production of the village sculpture with the funds already in place. The shortfall of £4,964 to be met by a loan from GPC to be repaid from the proceeds of a fundraising campaign.

PROPOSED: R.Muir  SECONDED: M.J.Sheppard  Vote: All in favour.

7/ Ditch drainage quotations for work adjacent to Railway Walk/BT Exchange:

The Clerk had obtained three quotations for work on the re-establishment of the ditch between the Railway Walk and BT Exchange.

PROPOSAL: Acceptance of Horizon quotation of £680. C.Dabell to manage the project.

PROPOSED: E.Padden  SECONDED: G.Clark  Vote: All in favour.

8/ Village Christmas Tree:

C.Dabell thanked the Committee members who had worked hard on the production of a much appreciated Christmas tree in The Square. M.J.Sheppard had been in discussion with M.Freeman of NCC re reconnection of the pump fuse and to instruct as per correct installation of a transformer in line with NCC safety requirements. A meeting had been arranged within the next fortnight. The unused Christmas lights would be offered for sale in Gotham News for £10 per set.

PROPOSAL: M.J.Sheppard would manage the project of installation of electrical equipment to the Village Pump to meet NCC requirements for lighting a Christmas tree.

PROPOSED: R.Muir  SECONDED: G.Clark  Vote: All in favour.

9/  Environment Budget 13/14: (Paper 1).

The Clerk circulated the Environment Budget forecast for 2013/14. Horizon Maintenance Work had increased in price by 3%. No reduction in the amount of perimeter sprays of herbicide would be requested as two sprays per year to all the designated areas were considered necessary.

PROPOSAL: To maintain the Horizon specification as per 2012/13 at a cost of £3,746.94

PROPOSED: C.Dabell  SECONDED: M.J.Sheppard. Vote: All in favour.

PROPOSAL: Acceptance of the Environment Budget for 2013/14 of £5,322.36.

PROPOSED: C.Dabell  SECONDED: E.Padden  Vote: All in favour.

10/  Pilot Lengthsman Scheme:

The Clerk had received confirmation that the successful scheme was being extended beyond March 2013.

11/ Any Other Business:

The Chairman had received a letter from Royal Mail re the re-establishment of the post box, outside the old post office, which was expected in the very near future.

K.Steed reported collapsed drains along the Leake Road pavement beyond the mini roundabout. Clerk to report to NCC.

B.J.Walker reported leaves under the seats outside the old post office. Clerk would ask D.Healey to clear.

M.J.Sheppard requested loan of the GPC strimmer for a working party session of GNR until such time one could be purchased. C.Dabell would ask J.M.F.Royce who stored the Council strimmer.

B.J.Walker reported street light 36 on Leake Road was out and K.Steed reported street light 10 on Leake Road was out. Clerk to report to S.Young of NCC.

J.P.Anderson had drawn up a list of questions received to put to the MH/GPC steering group re Council responsibilities. The Clerk circulated the list and reminded Councillors to e-mail to J.P.Anderson any further items.

The extra edition of Gotham News had been distributed with advertisement flyers. GPC had received £25 payment for the inclusion of the flyers

12/ Date and Time of Next Meeting:

The next meeting of the Environment Committee would be held in the Weldon Room of the Memorial Hall on the 26th March, 2013   at 8.30 p.m.

Meeting closed at 9.50 p.m.