View of the Well House with Saint Lawrence Church behind

Minutes of a Meeting of the Finance Committee (24/11/15)

Present:     J.M.F.Royce,  J.P.Anderson, B.J.Walker, G.Clark. In attendance: Mrs. P.R.Dines.

1/   Apologies:  M.J.Sheppard.

2/   Acceptance of Apologies:

PROPOSED. G.Clark  SECONDED:  J.P. Anderson All in favour.

3/   Declaration of Interest: Nil.

4/   Minutes of the Finance Committee Meeting held 27th October, 2015:

RESOLVED: The Minutes of the Finance Committee Meeting held on 27th October, 2015, as previously circulated, be confirmed and signed as a true record of the business transacted, with the following amendment, pg. 2 item 10: Precept 2016/17: remove word ‘grant’.

PROPOSED: J.P.Anderson SECONDED: B.J.Walker. Vote: All in favour.

Progress: Nil to report.

5/   Bank Account Balances (As at 18.11.2015)

a)       Co-Op Current Account:                                    £ 20,874.43 (unreconciled)

b)       Co-op 14 Day Account:                                      £          3.77

c)       Handelsbanken current account:                     £ 64,150.85

6/   2015/16 Budget Rolling Balances (additional to date:)

a)       Recreation  Ground Maintenance: GPC has agreed to cover the fence repair costs but had not designated a budget to the clerk. In this instance, the trustees agreed to the unspent tree budget being used.

b)       Recreation Ground Sports Pavilion Annual Refurbishment: £1,000 to be deducted as added to both the Capital and Revenue budgets for 2015/16 in error.

6a/  Recreation Ground Budget for 2016/17: Paper 4 (this item omitted from the Agenda).

P.R. Dines, Treasurer of the Memorial Hall/Recreation Ground, had drawn up Recreation Ground budget requirements for the year 2016/17 of £6,770.

The cost of dog bin emptying had been reduced to £200. It was decided to re-instate the amount of £400 to cover potential expenditure.

The Horizon mowing contract had risen by 2% resulting in the cost rising to £1,938 not £1,920 as stated by the maintenance contractor. It was, therefore, PROPOSED by J.M.F.Royce, SECONDED by G.Clark, to accept the Recreation Ground Budget of £6,988 for the year 2016/17. Vote: All in favour.

7/   Revenue Budget for 2016/17:

a)    Cemetery Gardening update.

J.P.Anderson to call a meeting of the Cemetery Committee to discuss future Cemetery gardening requirements.

b)      Cricket Club Mowing Contract:

The Cricket Mowing Contractor had requested a rise of £50 per annum – total amount £1,150. This amount would be subject to the agreement of the Gotham Cricket Club. The Clerk to contact T. Burton, Chairman of the GCC for instruction.

8/   Asset of Community Value (A.C.V.) Funding Options to raise £50,000:

J.P.Anderson reported, a meeting of the Steering Group is due to take place on the 27th November, 2015 when a proposal to apply to GPC for funding help is expected to be agreed. The deadline for a funding proposal to purchase the former RBL will need to be on the table by March, 2016. J.P.Anderson and P.R.Dines had visited a similar project to study its business plan and will draw up a similar business plan for the proposed shop/community café. A meeting is taking place with Mr. and Mrs. Towle on the 25th November, 2015 to talk about the viability of the project. Following the two meetings, a firm request for funding assistance will be made to GPC. J.M.F.Royce had listed the following funding options:

a)    Capital Account Adjustments:

Adjustments from Capital fund in hand.

b)    Precept one off levy:

Raise new money from the Precept following approval at a Public Meeting.

c)    Precept Annual Period Surcharge – say ten years.

Raise the precept for a maximum of ten years to spread the load.

d)  Precept – Public Works Loan Board (P.W.L.B.) (10 years minimum repayment)

Apply for a Public Works Loan which offers a 2.34% interest rate over a period of ten years. GPC to apply to PBL and give the money as a loan. Interest due on the loan to be repaid by the recipient.

e)  Grants – Liaise with Steering Group:

GPC may qualify for grants that are not available to the Steering Group.

f)    Donations/Gifts – Liaise with Steering Group.

Non binding pledges of £109,000 had been received from 50 residents/interested parties.

g)  Any Other ‘Bright Ideas’

9/  Appointment of Steering Group Liaison Officer:

G.Clark offered to attend the next Steering Group Meeting.

10/ Precept 2016/17 RBC Update:

a) Tax Base –

RBC to produce Tax Base  information by the 27th November, 2015.

b) Transitional Relief:

There will be no transitional relief available for 2016/17.

11/  Any Other Financial Matters to Report: Nil.

12/ Date and Time of Next Meeting: Tuesday, 26th January, 2016 at  7.30 p.m.

Meeting closed at 9.32 p.m.