Minutes of a Meeting of the Environment Committee (21/06/16)

Members present: Councillors, G.Holbrook, G. Hutter, J.M.F. Royce, M. Wilkins, M. Sheppard,  D Bexon.

In Attendance: Councillor, P.Bower, K.Smith.

PROPOSAL:Suspension of Standing Orders.

PROPOSED: G.Hutter  SECONDED: J.P.Anderson. Vote: All in favour.

Councillor, G.Hutter introduced Kevin Smith of 38 Leake Road who had recently suffered flash flooding to his home.

Mr. Smith described events during the previous week when he had tried, in vain, to obtain help from Notts County Council and Rushcliffe Borough Council. During a perilous weekend, Mr. Smith and his partner had made many telphone calls to the Emergency lines to both Councils and only received assistance after four or five days’. County Councillor Andrew Brown had intervened on his behalf and Severn Trent had supplied crystal filled black bags, resembling sand bags, which had eased the situation. There were two minor car accidents on Leake Road due to flooding.

Mr. Smith had subsequently discovered the drainage channels leading down Leake Road and across the fields to Fairham Brook were severely clogged with silt, debris and weeds. The drainage system required urgent attention.

It was agreed, to post up flood emergency telephone numbers and websites for access via the website and Facebook page for future reference.

M.J.Sheppard had met Kate Emery from the Councils’ Emergency Response Team who will survey the drainage system in Gotham. The culverts under the roads are the responsibility of NCC whereas the ditches in front of properties is the responsibility of the homeowner.

M.J.Sheppard thanked Mr. Smith for his attendance at the meeting and he left at 9.10 p.m.

PROPOSAL:Re-instatement of Standing Orders.

PROPOSED: G.Holbrook  SECONDED: M.J.Sheppard. Vote: All in favour.

G.Hutter criticised the Clerk for not reporting Mr. Smith’s plight when he had called at her house during the flooding.

The Clerk replied, she had not been home at the time and her husband had reported the incident to her on her return. Mr. Smith had not indicated it had been a Parish Council issue but was calling as a neighbour.

1.     Election of Chairman:

It was moved by M.J.Sheppard, seconded by M.Wilkins and duly carried by five votes in favour and one against:

That  G.Holbrook be appointed Chairman for the ensuing year.

G.Holbrook accepted the position of Chairman and thanked the Committee.

2.     Election of Vice-Chairman:

It was moved by G.Hutter, seconded by D.Bexon and duly carried by five votes in favour and one against:

That  C.Dabell be appointed Vice-Chairman for the ensuing year.

3.    Apologies: C.Dabell, G.Clark

4.       Declaration of Interest: Nil.

5.       Minutes of previous meeting:

RESOLVED:  That the Minutes of the Environment Committee, held on the 19th April, 2016 as previously circulated, be confirmed and signed as a true record of the business transacted:

PROPOSED: J.M.F.Royce SECONDED: G.Holbrook.  Vote: All in favour.

Progress: Nil to report.

6.       Well House Refurbishment Progress:

G.Hutter reported, roof bonnets can be included in the refurbishment, under the Heritage Lottery contingency fund of £2,000. (Cost of the bonnets – £1,070).

The electricity supply for the Heritage Day to be confirmed with Scott Young of NCC.

The next meeting of the Project Team Sub-Committee will be held on the 28th June, 2016 at 7.30 p.m in the Weldon Room.

7.       Choice of Tree Replacements in The Square:

M.J.Sheppard had consulted Six Acre Nurseries for advice re suitable tree replacements. It was agreed, English varieties would be preferable.

8.       Improvements/Weatherproofing Village Noticeboard:

The Clerk to price two noticeboards from Arien signs. A double for public use and a single for Parish Council use.

9.       Cuckoo Bush Mound:

G.Hutter to ask the Countryside Trust to tidy the Cuckoo Bush Mound, prior to the Heritage Day Walk on the 18th September, 2016. D.Bexon to inspect the area.

The Heritage Trail maps and information need re-jigging. They will be available from Spar and via PDF to mobile telephones.

10.   Flooding Information for website re sandbags, etc.

It was agreed, RBC and NCC had not performed well during the recent flash flooding which affected over forty homes in Gotham. Information, re sand bag provision and emergency telephone numbers, as previously discussed, will be available both on the Website and Facebook page. County Councillor A.Brown had written an article on flooding for Gotham News. S.Plowright had inspected the dyke, alongside the Railway Walk and would estimate the cost of clearance with a digger. J.M.F.Royce would walk with an RBC representative, explaining the layout of the village drainage system.

11.  Matters to Report:

M.Wilkins had reported flytipping at the Nottingham Road layby, opposite to the junction with Barton Lane, to RBC.

G.Hutter reported, the Weldon Spring Heritage Board required repair to the frame, plus cleaning. She would seek advice from K.Thorpe or A.Vickers. D.Bexon to inspect the Board.

G.Hutter reported the Cheese Hill public seat had become overgrown and the area requred pruning to open up the vista. G.Holbrook has asked A.Urry to carry out the work.

M.J.Sheppard reported, the slabs around the Sculpture seat had been installed but were less than expected. The site was difficult to work with due to a manhole cover and sloping ground.

The public seat, removed from Kegworth Road to outside Gotham Primary School, was acceptable.

The Clerk had reminded K.Hourd to research the possibility of planting trees along the verges of Nottingham Road, between Bidwell Crescent and Gotham Garage.

12.  Date and Time of Next Meeting:

The next meeting will be held in the Weldon Room of the Memorial Hall on Tuesday, 19th  July, 2016 at  8.30 p.m.

Meeting closed: 10.15 p.m.