Minutes of a Meeting of the Environment Committee (19/01/16)

Members present: Councillors G.Holbrook, (Vice-Chairman) G. Hutter, J.M.F. Royce, M. Wilkins, M. Sheppard, G.Clark.

In the absence of the Chairman, G. Holbrook chaired the meeting.

1.) Apologies: C.Dabell (Chairman), D Bexon. In attendance: B.J.Walker.

2.) Acceptance of Apologies: Proposed: G.Clark, Seconded: J.M.F.Royce.

3.) Declaration of Interest: None

4.) Minutes of previous meeting:
RESOLVED: That the Minutes of the Environment Committee, held on the 17th November, 2015 as previously circulated, be confirmed and signed as a true record of the business transacted..
PROPOSED:G.Clark, SECONDED: M.J.Sheppard. Vote: All in favour.

5.) Progress Arising from the Minutes:
Pg. 2.
Item 7. The Clerk had sent an email enquiry to NCC requesting an approximate date for the removal of the seat on Kegworth Road to the verge outside Gotham Primary School. No reply to date. It was suggested that the seat could be placed on slabs to prevent wearing of the grass underfoot.
Item 11: The Clerk reported a banister had been installed, by NCC, at the top of the hillside walk, off the Railway Track (Footpath no. 2).
Item 14: The Clerk reported G. Neill had sited the litter bin at the bottom of Cheese Hill. M.J.Sheppard had received a complaint from a neighbour who did not approve of the bin so near to her driveway entrance.
Item 14: G. Holbrook had asked S. Riley if she would continue to log the flora and fauna at the Gotham Nature Reserve but she had declined.

6.) Well House Refurbishment Progress (Quotations for Work).
G.Holbrook reported, two quotations were already in hand but one was still awaited from Bonsers. Two other contractors had not yet submitted a quotation.
The finial was carved in the 1960’s and had recently been removed for safekeeping, prior to being replaced.

B.J.Walker left the meeting at 9.00 p.m.

The Clerk had printed out a recent notification from NALC that estimates for contracts over £25,000 required advertising on a Contracts Finders Website.( Legal Topic Note 87 and LO5-15.)( Main meeting agenda item.)
An application for £1,000 towards the removal of the dais to enable disability access was being considered by the Dr. Gerrard Gotham Benevolent Fund Trustees.
Other sources of income could be the Logan Trust with the history of the Trust detailed on one of the art boards in the roof.
Treatment of the railings could be undertaken by a local contractor. M.J.Sheppard to make enquiries.
J. Wroughton might be able to supply information as to date of banded tiling. The roof was retiled between 1860 and 1960.

7.) Railway Walk Seating refurbishment of middle seat /Removal of seat – Kegworth Rd. end
Clerk to ask NCC Highways when they plan to remove the Rowan Tree stumps/root ball, (in The Square) and ask for replacement suggestions.

8.) Improvements/Waterproofing Village Noticeboard:
Awaiting D. Urry’s quotation for restoring the noticeboard.
G.Holbrook offered to research the cost of a replacement noticeboard, similar to the one installed at the Gotham Nature Reserve.

9.) Matters to Report:
Environment Warden: The Clerk reported, the Environment Warden would be away from the 24th February for one month. She would undertake litter removal from the Railway Walk/Recreation Ground car park during his absence.

Heritage Day: M.J.Sheppard suggested holding a Heritage Day, linked with South Notts Bus Depot and British Gypsum in celebration of the Depot’s 90th anniversary and the Queen’s 90th Birthday. A beacon could be lit.
The Scouts could be involved. (Environment Agenda).

Bulb Planting: G.Hutter reported, the bulbs she planted on the Ridgeway may have suffered from recent strimming by the Golf Club.

Gotham Heritage Trail: A Gotham Heritage Trail map could be left in the local public houses and other venues for use by local walking groups. The document, originally printed by A. Vickers, suggested a walk starting at The Square to include Nottingham Road, Cheese Hill, Soldiers Lane.

10.) Any Other Business: Nil.

11.) Date and Time of Next Meeting:
The next meeting will be held in the Weldon Room of the Memorial Hall on Tuesday, 16th February, 2016 at 7.30 p.m.

Meeting closed: 9.38 p.m.