Minutes of a Meeting of the Environment Committee (15/11/16)

Members present: Councillors,  J.M.F. Royce, M. Wilkins, G.Hutter, P.Bower, C.Dabell.

1/ Election of Chairman:

Nomination for Chairman of this meeting: C.Dabell.

PROPOSED: J.M.F.Royce SECONDED: M.Wilkins. Vote: All in favour.

C.Dabell accepted the Chair but could not undertake the permanent Chairmanship due to work pressures.

2/ Apologies:  D.Bexon.

Acceptance of Apologies: PROPOSED: J.M.F.Royce, SECONDED: M.Wilkins. Vote: All in favour.

3/ Declaration of Interest: Nil.

4/ Minutes of previous meeting:

RESOLVED:  That the Minutes of the Environment Committee, held on the 18th October, 2016 as previously circulated, be confirmed and signed as a true record of the business transacted, with the following amendment: Item 7: Flooding: 2nd paragraph, third sentence. Replace ‘drain underneath’ to ‘open ditch’.

PROPOSED:  M.Wilkins SECONDED:.P.Bower. Vote: All in favour.

5/ Progress From the Minutes:

GPC Tabards: The Clerk had not yet received the GPC high vis tabards back following the Remembrance Day parade. Four, out of ten, went missing after the Heritage Day held on the 18th September, 2016. G.Hutter to contact the Scouts who kindly marshalled during the Heritage Day.

Licenses: Hanging Basket and Christmas Lighting licenses applications submitted to NCC.

6/ Christmas Tree Installation:

C.Dabell reported erection of the Christmas tree to commence on the 2nd December, 2016. A. Howick to assist with the tree lighting with the loan of a cherry picker for C. Dabell to stand in to hang the lights. The tree has been kindly donated by a parishioner.

7/ Well House Refurbishment (Conclusion):

C. Dabell to collect the Well House timer from G.Holbrook and arrange its fitting by A.Howick.

G.Hutter had ordered two black benches from Broxap at a cost £1,437.60, plus VAT. The benches require a central support post. Expected delivery within three to four weeks. Saunders Bros. to be asked to fit them.

8/  Flooding – Up to date progress:

The NCC drain guzzler had been in action on Leake Road last week. G.Hutter had contacted Jim Freeman, of NCC, re the need for a village ditch survey. Jim Freeman progressing with ACL. (Drain clearance Company)

Nottm City Transport had promised to clear the bus drain and had removed trees that had rooted within the drain. Copies of correspondence concerning flooding to be sent to County Councillor A.Brown.

The Clerk had submitted an application to RBC for a supply of sandbags to be stored in the Memorial Hall shed, with the kind permission of the Trustees.

9/ Railway Walk Elder Tree Removal:

The Clerk had obtained a quotation for complete elder tree removal from J.Taylor.

C.Dabell to obtain two more quotations. The amount of elder trees to be removed could be lessened to cut the price. It was suggested, marking the trees to be removed with a painted cross.  C.Dabell to carry out elder inspection.

10/ Planting along Nottingham Road, between Bidwell Cres. and Gotham Garage:

The Clerk was in contact with K.Hourd of NCC who had requested an underground service map to be sent, as soon as possible. To date, no map had appeared. Clerk to progress.

11/ Improvements/Village Noticeboard:

Councillor Bexon progressing.

The Clerk had received details of a company who were able to supply a three compartment noticeboard.

12/ Replacement Seating in The Square using old Well House seats:

J.M.F.Royce reported, four matching seats with RBC logo. Two in The Square (in poor condition), one outside the New Rectory by the bus stop (fair condition) one in front of the Village Sculpture.  J.M.F.Royce offered to inspect all four seats and ask for the help of A.Howick re refurbishment, if possible. Members of the Environment Committee asked to inspect the seats prior to the next meeting, for a final decision on their condition and possible replacement using the redundant Well House seats.

13/ Choice of Tree Replacements in The Square:

J.Taylor had removed the dead Rowan Trees root balls.

A third quotation for removing the root balls had been received from J. Taylor totalling £425 plus VAT.

PROPOSAL: Purchase of one white beam and one sweet chestnut from Six Acre Nurseries.

PROPOSED: M.Wilkins SECONDED: J.M.F.Royce. Vote: Four in favour, one abstention.

C.Dabell to enquire correct soil medium for best planting.

14/ NCC Community Improvement Scheme. (New scheme suggestions)

The previously suggested kissing gate at the Railway Walk, Brickyard track was considered unnecessary due to it preventing easy passage for wheelchair users.

G.Hutter to refer this item to the Trustees of the Memorial Hall for the benefit of new playground equipment..

15/  Matters to Report:

Hill Road Litter etc.: H. Taylor had reported, no police presence to the reported site of possible drug dealing, opposite to Elliott’s Transport garage.

Chairmanship. J.M.F.Royce suggested it is perhaps time to wind Environment Committee meetings down if no one is prepared to take on the Chairmanship. Environment matters would be covered during main GPC meetings.

Broadband: M.Wilkins reported Broadband offers, sent recently via email from Steven Adams, new Broadband Engagement Officer for the Better Broadband for Nottinghamshire programme being run by Nottinghamshire County Council, did not benefit parts of the village, including Kegworth Road as these areas are not activated. Clerk to alert S.Adams of the situation.

Fracking: Today’s meeting of the County Council had voted to approve drilling exploration at Misson.

Centenarian: The Clerk reported a parishioner is due to celebrate her 100th birthday on the 20th November, 2016. As it is customary for GPC to mark the event, she had purchased a plant and card for presentation on the day, by G.Hutter, Vice Chairman.

December Main Meeting: The Clerk suggested a small pre meeting drink and refreshment at the December meeting. Councillors invited to donate a plate of nibbles. Clerk and G. Hutter to bring wine, beer and nibbles. Clerk to supply glasses.

16/  Date and Time of Next Meeting:

The next meeting will be held in the Weldon Room of the Memorial Hall on Tuesday, 17th January, 2017 at  8.30 p.m.

Meeting closed: 10.00 p.m.