Minutes of a Meeting of Gotham Parish Council (06/01/15)

Present: M.J.Sheppard, (Chairman) K. Steed (Vice-Chairman) Councillors J.M.F.Royce, B.J.Walker, G.Holbrook, A.Clayworth, G.Clark,  G.Hutter, E.Rodgers.  In attendance: John Scott-Lees, Managing Director of Streetwise.

15/1: Apologies: D.Bexon, J.P.Anderson, C.Dabell, County Councillor A.Brown, Borough Councillor T.Vennett-Smith

15/2: Acceptance of Apologies:

PROPOSED: E.Rodgers SECONDED: K.Steed. Vote: Eight in favour, one abstention.

The Chairman introduced Mr. John Scott-Lees, Managing Director of Streetwise, to the meeting.

PROPOSAL: Suspension of Standing Orders.

PROPOSED: M.J.Sheppard  SECONDED: E.Rodgers. Vote: All in favour.

Mr. Scott-Lees outlined the work undertaken by Streetwise which is owned by Rushcliffe Borough Council but is an independent business, as from 1st September, 2014. Streetwise can offer competitive terms for jobs such as landscaping, pruning, inspecting and installing play equipment, mowing, litter collection, etc. It has the added bonus of having access to machinery and tools owned by RBC. It can also offer competitive prices for litter bins, fencing, etc. Private householders can book Streetwise for gardening duties. Special event tidying or clearing of a site is offered together with marquee hire, portable lavatories, barbecues, marshalls. Mr Scott-Lees left brochures with the Clerk for further reference.

The Chairman thanked him for his attendance and Mr. Scott-Lees left the meeting at 8.05 p.m.

PROPOSAL: Resumption of Standing Orders.

PROPOSED: M.J.Sheppard  SECONDED: E.Rodgers. Vote: All in favour.

15/3: Declaration of Interest:

Trustees, G.Hutter, K.Steed, G.Clark in matters relevant to the Memorial Hall/Recreation Ground.

15/4: Minutes of the previous meeting:

Resolved: That the previously circulated Minutes of the Parish Council held on the 2nd December, 2014, be accepted and signed as a true record of the business transacted.

PROPOSED: G.Hutter SECONDED: K.Steed. Vote: Nine in favour, one abstention.

Progress from the December Minutes:

14/242: Defibrillator procedure cards: M.J.Sheppard thought two hundred cards would suffice to hand out to parishioners. G.Holbrook suggested details of the procedure to follow, re use of the defibrillator, could be printed in Gotham News which is circulated to every household in the village. All agreed this method of reaching parishioners would also be an option.

15/5: Finance Monthly Payments and Receipts:

Receipts and Payments: RESOLVED: That the receipts, since the last meeting, are noted and the Accounts in Appendix F1 be confirmed and authorised for payment.

PROPOSED: M.J.Sheppard  SECONDED: E.Rodgers. Vote: All in favour.

Carol Singing: Sponsorship totalling £130 outstanding. The Clerk would write letters thanking the sponsors and arranging collection of the funds.

GPC Grants Policy Review: a) Continuation and/or Adoption:

The Clerk circulated the GPC Grants Policy (April 2012). J.M.F.Royce explained the GPC Grants Policy was overdue for its two year review. Some Parishes do not have a Grants Policy and he sought approval for its continuation.

PROPOSAL: GPC continues, subject to review, with a formal Grants Policy.

PROPOSED: J.M.F.Royce SECONDED: B.J.Walker  Vote: All in favour.

Due to the Council being unfamiliar with the Grants Policy document,the matter will be further discussed at the next Council Meeting. The Clerk will circulate a list of grant payments, made by GPC, over the last five years for Council to study and discuss as an agenda item at the next council meeting to enable a decision to be made on a reasonable amount of grant aid during 2015/16.

  1. Amount of Total Annual Allocation: For decision at the GPC February Meeting.

Rolling Balance Update (3rd Quarter)

       The Clerk circulated the budget sheets for the third quarter of the year which were within normal limits.

Precept for 2015/16 (February agenda item). The date for the Precept application to RBC is the 15th February, 2015.

Date for next Finance Meeting: Tuesday, 27th January, 2015.

15/6: Report by Chairman of Planning and Development Committee:

RBC/Aligned Core Strategy progress: B.J.Walker had attended the Rushcliffe Borough Council meeting held on the 22nd December, 2014 when the Core Strategy was adopted, following a free, named, vote.

K.Mafham is following up the progress on the RBC approval of the Core Strategy.

                15/7: Planning Decisions Received: Nil.

15/8: Planning Applications Received:

Amended Planning Application for 1 The Rushes – to be discussed at the Planning Committee Meeting on the 20th January, 2015.

15/9: Environmental Matters: (C.Dabell).

                In the absence of C.Dabell, G.Holbrook gave the following report:

Christmas Tree: G.Holbrook had received an emailed report from C.Dabell re the success of the Christmas tree. Thanks to Councillors who assisted with its installation and removal.

Bulb Planting: Bulb Planting nearly completed. Thanks to D.Bexon and G.Holbrook. The Clerk had been supplied with the last  box of bulbs to plant along Leake Road.

Railway Walk Fencing: Two quotations to date. Streetwise and GNR Fencing Contractor to be invited to quote.

15/10: Memorial Hall Report from GPC representatives:

K.Steed reported the intention to hold a wreath laying ceremony in the Memorial Hall this year. The main march and Remembrance Service is due to take place in East Leake.

15/11: Policing Matters/Vandalism:

E.Rodgers had received the crime figures for December. One burglary of a television from a house on Nottingham Road.

T.Coles, Chairman of the Royal British Legion, Gotham and District Branch, had asked GPC to thank the Police for their attendance at the Remembrance Day Parade. M.J.Sheppard offered to write the letter had written a letter of congratulation and thanks .

15/12: Gotham News & Media:    

Editorial Team: Editorial Team: M.J.Sheppard, K.Steed and D.Bexon. (Next Copy date: 15th February, 2015.)

M.J.Sheppard reported, hopefully, there would be photographs of three of the Gotham War heroes in the next edition of Gotham News in an additional 4 page centre spread headed ‘Gotham remembers the fallen’. Ten of the Gotham soldiers had served in the Sherwood Foresters and two in the Lancashire Fusiliers. J.M.F.Royce had researched the history of the Gotham war dead from three sources, The Museum of the Mercian Regiment The Worcestershire and Sherwood Foresters Collection and the Fusilier Museum. A small charge was levied for information. Further details might be available via the Nottingham Evening Post archives. E.Rodgers suggested an article about the Gotham War dead could be incorporated within the Messenger.

M.J.Sheppard called for another Councillor to join the Gotham News editorial team. B.J. Walker volunteered to proof read.

15/13: Chairmans Report:

The Royal British Legion:The Chairman reported he had written a letter of sympathy to T.Coles re the possible closure of The Royal British Legion Social Club on the 31st January, 2015. He had also written a letter to Mike Newth-West, Agent to Earl Howe whose forbear had originally sold the land for £150 for the building of the Gotham Branch of The Royal British Legion. He had agreed to send him a copy of the original Deed of Conveyance dated 31st December, 1948 plus photographs. The future of the empty building is uncertain but it will be boarded up in the first instance.

It was suggested the building would make an excellent shop and post office, (P.O. closed since September 2012)  .

Application for Funds: The Chairman had received an email from George Challand and Phoebe Lomas, two pupils of East Leake Academy chosen to travel to Ghana to assist in building an orphanage and sports arena in the Volta area. G.Challand was seeking funds from GPC and had offered to carry out work for a donation towards funding the trip to be split equally between the two pupils. The Clerk reminded Council that financial regulations prevent Parish Councils from supporting individuals. E.Rodgers suggested the two pupils carry out jobs, such as litter picking for a donation. The Clerk to contact G.Challand with this suggestion.

Chairman’s Reception: Date to be announced.

15/14: Clerks report: Nil to report.

15/15: Matters to Report:

B.J.Walker reported the sad death of John Pank who had supported Gotham Village and originally advised the Trustees of the Memorial Hall on architectural plans for its refurbishment. Clerk to write a letter of condolence to Mrs. E.Pank.

E.Rodgers reported fly tipping on Cheese Hill. Clerk to report to Streetwise.

15/16: Items for Next Agenda:

RBC Parish Forum Wednesday, 11th February, 2015 (planning issues).

Acceptance of Grant Policy Update.

Precept for 2015/16

15/17: Date of Next Meeting: The next Meeting will be held on Tuesday, 3rd February,  2015 at 7.30 p.m.

Meeting closed at 9.50 p.m.