Gotham Church Bells
100 years ago, when Armistice was declared on November 11th 1918, church and cathedral bells that had been silent for four years rang out in unison across the country. But does anyone ever wonder about Gotham’s church bells when ringers occasionally practice on a Saturday afternoon?
Sadly Gotham no longer has its own team of bell ringers, and relies on teams from elsewhere, especially Thrumpton. As part of the centenary commemorations, campanologists hope to have recruited 1,400 new bell ringers in honour of the 1,400 who lost their lives during the First World War.
Gotham church has five bells, two dating from 1598, one from 1658 and two more recent ones made by Taylors of Loughborough in 1910. Some villagers will remember that the ringers used to stand on the ground floor, but a new ringing floor was inserted into the tower in 1987.