Category Archives: Minutes of Meetings

Minutes of Meetings from July 2012 onwards

Minutes of the Environment Committee Meeting (29/01/13)

ENVIRONMENT MEETING 29th JANUARY, 2013

MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF THE ENVIRONMENT COMMITTEE HELD ON TUESDAY 29th January, 2013

 COMMENCING AT 7.30 P.M. IN THE WELDON ROOM

Members Present: C.Dabell (Chairman), R.Davis, (Vice-Chairman) E.Padden, G.Clark, B.J.Walker, M.J.Sheppard, R.Muir, K.Steed.

1/    Apologies: Nil.

2/    Acceptance of Apologies: N/A

3/   Declaration of Interest: Nil.

4/ Minutes of the Previous Meeting:

RESOLVED:  That the Minutes of the Environment Committee, held on the 20th November, 2012 as previously circulated, be confirmed and signed as a true record of the business transacted.

PROPOSED: G.Clark SECONDED: M.J.Sheppard Vote: All in favour.

5/  Progress arising from previous Minutes:

Pg. 1 Item 8: G.Clark and E. Padden had successfully planted six broad leafed lime trees on Leake Road.

6/ Village Sculpture Progress Report:

E.Padden provided a breakdown of the cost of the sculpture based on the available evidence. An extra cost of £1,923 error factor was added. The  Clerk  had ascertained from  Aon insurers that annual costs would be £200-£250 for replacement value of up to £20,000. She would increase this to £30,000 to cover inflation.

The shortfall in capital amounted to £4,964. A fundraising campaign would take place to cover this amount. M.J.Sheppard had received an anonymous donation of £100 for a plaque.

Village Sculpture Costings

env_accounts

PROPOSAL: Recommendation to main Council to proceed with the production of the village sculpture with the funds already in place. The shortfall of £4,964 to be met by a loan from GPC to be repaid from the proceeds of a fundraising campaign.

PROPOSED: R.Muir  SECONDED: M.J.Sheppard  Vote: All in favour.

7/ Ditch drainage quotations for work adjacent to Railway Walk/BT Exchange:

The Clerk had obtained three quotations for work on the re-establishment of the ditch between the Railway Walk and BT Exchange.

PROPOSAL: Acceptance of Horizon quotation of £680. C.Dabell to manage the project.

PROPOSED: E.Padden  SECONDED: G.Clark  Vote: All in favour.

8/ Village Christmas Tree:

C.Dabell thanked the Committee members who had worked hard on the production of a much appreciated Christmas tree in The Square. M.J.Sheppard had been in discussion with M.Freeman of NCC re reconnection of the pump fuse and to instruct as per correct installation of a transformer in line with NCC safety requirements. A meeting had been arranged within the next fortnight. The unused Christmas lights would be offered for sale in Gotham News for £10 per set.

PROPOSAL: M.J.Sheppard would manage the project of installation of electrical equipment to the Village Pump to meet NCC requirements for lighting a Christmas tree.

PROPOSED: R.Muir  SECONDED: G.Clark  Vote: All in favour.

9/  Environment Budget 13/14: (Paper 1).

The Clerk circulated the Environment Budget forecast for 2013/14. Horizon Maintenance Work had increased in price by 3%. No reduction in the amount of perimeter sprays of herbicide would be requested as two sprays per year to all the designated areas were considered necessary.

PROPOSAL: To maintain the Horizon specification as per 2012/13 at a cost of £3,746.94

PROPOSED: C.Dabell  SECONDED: M.J.Sheppard. Vote: All in favour.

PROPOSAL: Acceptance of the Environment Budget for 2013/14 of £5,322.36.

PROPOSED: C.Dabell  SECONDED: E.Padden  Vote: All in favour.

10/  Pilot Lengthsman Scheme:

The Clerk had received confirmation that the successful scheme was being extended beyond March 2013.

11/ Any Other Business:

The Chairman had received a letter from Royal Mail re the re-establishment of the post box, outside the old post office, which was expected in the very near future.

K.Steed reported collapsed drains along the Leake Road pavement beyond the mini roundabout. Clerk to report to NCC.

B.J.Walker reported leaves under the seats outside the old post office. Clerk would ask D.Healey to clear.

M.J.Sheppard requested loan of the GPC strimmer for a working party session of GNR until such time one could be purchased. C.Dabell would ask J.M.F.Royce who stored the Council strimmer.

B.J.Walker reported street light 36 on Leake Road was out and K.Steed reported street light 10 on Leake Road was out. Clerk to report to S.Young of NCC.

J.P.Anderson had drawn up a list of questions received to put to the MH/GPC steering group re Council responsibilities. The Clerk circulated the list and reminded Councillors to e-mail to J.P.Anderson any further items.

The extra edition of Gotham News had been distributed with advertisement flyers. GPC had received £25 payment for the inclusion of the flyers

12/ Date and Time of Next Meeting:

The next meeting of the Environment Committee would be held in the Weldon Room of the Memorial Hall on the 26th March, 2013   at 8.30 p.m.

Meeting closed at 9.50 p.m.

Minutes of the Meeting of Gotham Parish Council (05/02/13)

MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF GOTHAM PARISH COUNCIL 5th FEBRUARY, 2013

Held in the Memorial Hall, Weldon Room, Commencing at 7.30pm

Present:   R.Muir (Chairman), M.J.Sheppard, (Vice-Chairman), J.M.F.Royce, J.P.Anderson, E.Padden, R.Davis, K. Steed, B.J.Walker, G.Clark. C.Dabell

13/18: Apologies:  T.Vennett-Smith, E.Rodgers, D.Bexon.

13/19: Acceptance of Apologies:

PROPOSED: E.Padden SECONDED: C.Dabell.  Vote: All in favour.

13/20: Declaration of Interest:

Trustees, M.J.Sheppard and G.Clark in matters relevant to the Memorial Hall/Recreation Ground.

13/21: Minutes of the previous meeting:

Resolved: That the previously circulated Minutes of the Meeting of the Parish Council held on the 8TH January, 2013, be accepted as a true record, with the following amendment: Pg. 2. 13/14 Precept: replace ‘downturn’ with ‘reduction’

PROPOSED: J.P.Anderson SECONDED: M.J.Sheppard.  Vote: All in favour.

Progress from the Minutes:

13/6: Village Christmas tree: S.Watson had submitted a bill for £10 for Christmas tree collection from Costock.

13/22: Finance Monthly Payments and Receipts:

Receipts and Payments: RESOLVED: That the receipts, since the last meeting, are noted and the Accounts in Appendix F1 be confirmed and authorised for payment.

PROPOSED: J.M.F.Royce SECONDED: J.P.Anderson   Vote: All in favour.

S.Watson had submitted a bill for payment for his work on tree trunk logging on the Railway Walk (£25).

Unallocated monies/budget underspend to date: J.M.F.Royce confirmed that,  to date, the unallocated funds for 2012/13 amounted to £5,778.

The VAT refund from year 2011/12 was £1,325. The Diamond Jubilee underspend still to be calculated.

M.J.Sheppard reported the forthcoming sale of eleven sets of outdoor Christmas lights at £10 per set would raise an extra £110. They would be advertised in the next edition of Gotham News.

E.Perrell had kindly offered a free Christmas tree for Christmas 2013. (Environment agenda).

Horizon Quote 2013. – £3,634 showing a 3% increase on 2012, had been accepted.

Village Sculpture Funding Shortfall: The funding shortfall for the Village Sculpture was £4,612 (there was no requirement to pay NCC the licence fee of £320 as included in the Environment Minutes (29th January, 2013). J.M.F.Royce suggested the £4,612 shortfall could be raised from the 2012/13 unallocated monies (£5,778).

Approval of Budgets for 2013/14:

Paper 1 – PROPOSAL: Acceptance of the Environment Budget for 2013/14 of £5,322.36. (Agreed at the Environment Meeting – 29th January, 2013).

PROPOSED: C.Dabell  SECONDED: E.Padden  Vote: All in favour.

Paper 2 – Recreation Ground: £8,905.28

PROPOSAL: Acceptance of the recommended Recreation Ground Budget of £8,905.28.

PROPOSED: J.M.F.Royce SECONDED: R.Davis Vote: All in favour.

Paper 3 – Revenue Budget: £30,693.00

PROPOSAL: Acceptance of the recommended Revenue Budget of £30,693.00.

PROPOSED: J.M.F.Royce                SECONDED: R.Davis Vote All in favour.

Paper 4 – 2013/14 Precept: J.M.F.Royce had circulated a finance memo to Council explaining the RBC claw back of £2,420 whatever the amount of Precept accepted. There was no cap on the amount that could be raised in 2013/14. The perceived wisdom was that the Parish Council would be capped in the year 2014/15 and 2015/16 until the May, 2015 General Election. A nil increase in Precept for 2013/14 would only provide a predicted surplus of £1,671 unallocated capital. A 2.5% increase, a predicted surplus of £2,569 after taking into account the capital allocations of £1,150 already approved for the year and taking the claw back of £2,420 into account.

A nil increase for the year 2013/14 would set the predicted cap at that level for the following years. The claw back could be increased in the future. GPC’s standing overheads would inevitably increase by at least the rate of the Consumer Price Index. The Retail Price Index currently stood at 2.7% and 3.1% respectively. (Sourced from the Office for National Statistics 15/1/13).

The Chairman asked Council members to individually comment on the necessity of a nil increase or 2.5% increase in the Precept in the light of the current downturn in the financial situation of the Country. A lenghty discussion ensued.

PROPOSAL: The Precept for the year 2013/14 to be increased by 2.5% – 36,832.00, less the claw back fee of £2,420 leaving  £34,412 resulting in a predicted capital of £2,569 unallocated.

PROPOSED: J.M.F.Royce   SECONDED: R.Davis  Vote: Seven in favour, two against, one abstention.

J.P.Anderson thanked the Clerk and J.M.F.Royce for their work on the calculation of the above figures.

13/23: Memorial Hall Focus Group –meeting on the 26th February, 2013.

J.P.Anderson would draw up a simple agenda for the meeting. GPC complimented the Trustees for the well run Hall over the last seven years. The focus group meeting was required to prove the status quo. There were eight or nine fundamental questions for consideration. Answers would be circulated to Councillors.

J.P.Anderson invited more questions to be sent to him, prior to the meeting.

Focus Group members –J.P.Anderson, R.Muir, B.J.Walker, R.Davis, E.Rodgers.

13/24: Report by Chairman of Planning and Development Committee (J.P.Anderson).

J.P.Anderson reported the following planning items:

RBC Core StrategySeveral members of the Council had attended the Exploratory Meeting on the 31st January in the West  Bridgford Community Hall called by the Inspector, Ms. J. Kingbury, to test the soundness of the RBC  Core Strategy. The outcome of the meeting had proven the Core Strategy unsound. The RBC representatives were on the defensive during the meeting. K.Mafham, representing Barton, Thrumpton and Gotham had raised some valid points and the Inspector had referred to him on several occasions during the meeting. The whole premise of building a large number of houses was unsound, as per Government policy at this time. Council leader, N.Clarke, had confirmed housing numbers could be re-adjusted post 2026. Other Boroughs had extended their end date to 2028. RBC was the only rural Borough the other Boroughs being in the City. The worst case scenario was that the developers would  steamroller Rushcliffe with demands for extra housing. It was vital to get the Rural Spatial Strategy numbers repealed. J.P.Anderson had called a steering group meeting with K.Mafham on the 19th February, 2013.

A453 Widening: J.P.Anderson reported difficulty in ascertaining the numbers of cars rat running through Gotham post closure of Barton Lane. A Gotham traffic count would be held on the 12th and 14th February between the hours of 7.30 – 9.30 a.m. and 4.00 – 6.30 p.m. R.Muir would draw up a rota of Councillors to meet outside Gotham Primary School during those hours. High visibility jackets could be supplied if necessary. R.Muir would inform the Headmistress of the School of the traffic count. A further traffic count would take place post closure of Barton Lane to ascertain the traffic numbers both before and after.

Affordable Housing: Nil to report.

13/25: Planning Applications Received:

1/13: (ref: 13/00107/FUL)    2 Pygall Avenue, Gotham – side extension (revised planning application).

PROPOSAL: NO OBJECTION

PROPOSED: J.P.Anderson  SECONDED: M.J. Sheppard. Vote: All in favour.

2/13: (ref: 12/021129/ADV) Old Co-operative Nursery – 7-9 Wallace Street – Retention of individual lettering                                                                                                                                                            applied sign on front elevation.

PROPOSAL: NO OBJECTION

PROPOSED: J.P.Anderson  SECONDED: E.Padden. Vote: All in favour.

3/13: (ref: 13/00034/FUL) The Grange, Kegworth Road – Erection of single storey pole barn for the storage of tractors and fodder.

J.P.Anderson would contact RBC Planning Department for further information regarding this application.

13/26: Planning Decisions Received:  Nil.

13/27: Environmental Matters: (R.Davis – Vice Chairman).

Village Drainage System: The Environment Committee had accepted a £680 quotation from Horizon to re-instate the ditch, to improve drainage, between the Railway Walk and B.T.Exchange.

Village Pump Lighting: M.J.Sheppard would meet NCC representative M.Freeman on the 7th February, re the correct method of installing electricity to the village pump to meet safety criteria. English Heritage would be informed of the plans to meet the Grade 2 Listed Building rules.

Village Sculpture: D.Charlesworth had produced a virtual reality photograph of the planned Village Sculpture which was passed round for inspection. The height of the finished sculpture would be 22 feet. The chevrons and rubbish bin, presently situated on the grass verge, would be removed to another position. R. Muir had arranged a meeting with K.Hourd of NCC for a final inspection of the site.

PROPOSAL: To place an order for the Village Sculpture a cheque for £4,750 to be issued to cover 40% of the cost.

PROPOSED: R.Muir  SECONDED: R.Davis. Vote: nine in favour, one against.

13/28:  Memorial Hall Report:

M.J.Sheppard reported the following items:

A Soul night based on 60’s and 70’s music would take place on Saturday, 6th April, 2013.

The Moonrakers’ room was under current improvement to include a lagged suspended ceiling. P.Green would paint a wall mural and the storeroom walls would be highered to reach the ceiling.

13/29: Policing Matters/Vandalism:

The Clerk had received the latest crime figures from E.Rodgers. One reported crime of paint thrown over a car parked on Kegworth Road had been reported during January.

E.Padden reported the next Police Priority Setting Meeting would take place at Keyworth Village Hall on the 17th April, 2013 at 10.00 a.m.

13/30: Gotham News & Media:     (R.Muir/J.P.Anderson)

J.P.Anderson confirmed the copy date for the next edition was Friday, 15th February, 2013. R.Muir would bill the advertisers for the forthcoming year.

13/31: Chairman’s Report             

The Chairman thanked Councillors for their hard work on the Village Sculpture project.

13/32: Clerk’s report:

The Clerk would attend an RBC environmental forum on the 7th February, 2013.

13/33: Matters to Report:

M.J.Sheppard had been asked by a parishioner if Wodehouse Avenue could be gritted during the recent icy road conditions. It was decided that, unfortunately, the Parish Council could not undertake the gritting of individual pavements in the village. Grit bins were place in several accessible locations for the public to use. R.Muir had personally gritted several areas of the village.

R.Davis reported anti social behaviour on The Rushes carried out a 4 a.m. on Saturday night. The Police had been informed.

13/34: Items for Next Agenda: Village Sculpture. M.H. meeting

13/35: Date of Next Meeting: The next meeting would be held on the 5th March, 2013.    Meeting concluded at  10.20 pm.

Minutes of the Meeting of Gotham Parish Council – 8th January 2013

MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF GOTHAM PARISH COUNCIL 8TH JANUARY 2013
held in the Memorial Hall Weldon Room COMMENCING AT 7.30 P.M.

Present:    R.Muir (Chairman), M.J.Sheppard, (Vice-Chairman), D.Bexon, J.M.F.Royce,  J.P.Anderson, E.Padden, R.Davis, T.Vennett-Smith, K. Steed, B.J.Walker, G.Clark.

The Chairman wished Council and attendees a very happy New Year.

13/1: Apologies:  E.Rodgers, C.Dabell.  In Attendance: P.R.Dines, J.Turner, E.Perrell, A.Vickers, A.Howick, C.Howe.

The Chairman welcomed the members of the public to the meeting.

13/2: Acceptance of Apologies:

PROPOSED: R. Davis SECONDED: M.J.Sheppard.  Vote: All in favour.

13/3: Declaration of Interest:

Trustees, M.J.Sheppard, D.Bexon and G.Clark in matters relevant to the Memorial Hall/Recreation Ground.

13/4: Minutes of the previous meeting:

Resolved: That the previously circulated Minutes of the Meeting of the Parish Council held on the 4th December, 2012, be accepted as a true record, with the following amendment: Pg. 1. 12/220 W.I. – donation to Over 70’s Christmas Party: Remove title ‘Borough Councillor’ before ‘T.Vennett-Smith’.

PROPOSED: J.P.Anderson SECONDED: G.Clark.  Vote: All in favour.

Progress from the Minutes:

12/224: Post Office: The Clerk confirmed she had written a letter to Ms. A.Wallace, Post Office Field Change Advisor for advice on the re-siting of the village post box.

13/5: Carol Singing Complaint from Parishioner:

The Chairman had received an official complaint from a parishioner over the episode of carol singing outside her home, following the public session held on the 18th December. The Chairman issued a written apology on behalf of GPC for any distress caused. £30 collected at the time had been awarded to the Brooke Donkey Sanctuary, the aforementioned parishioner’s choice of Charity.

Members of the Public involved in the above incident wished to add their comments so a PROPOSAL of Suspension of Standing Orders was PROPOSED by: R.Muir and SECONDED by E.Padden.

A short discussion on the Carol singing incident took place.

Re-instatement of Standing Orders PROPOSED by J.P. Anderson SECONDED: G.Clark.

13/6: Village Christmas Tree:

The Chairman read out an explanation of the successful erection of the first village Christmas Tree in The Square. Unfortunately, the Christmas lights had been displayed minus a transformer which could have proved a risk to the public. The Carol Singing session went ahead with members of the Council and Public instructed to guard the public from the perimeter of the tree. The safety risk had been reported to NCC who had removed the fuse from the lights. A.Howick kindly offered to loan a 24 volt car battery to the Council and had worked hard to achieve a new set of battery lighting. NCC were unable to inspect this method of lighting but the Environment Committee were satisfied there was no risk to the public if the lights remained switched on during the Christmas period with safety barriers protecting the public from the base container. The Chairman thanked Councillor Royce for his advice re the safety of the lighting and, although the experience was a regrettable error, which had not been picked up by the qualified electrician, NCC representatives or the lighting salesman, the Council had resolved to ‘learn from its mistake’ and make good the electricity supply for future displays. The Clerk was asked to contact NCC for exact lighting procedure advice.

PROPOSAL: Suspension of Standing Orders: PROPOSED: R.Muir, SECONDED: G.Clark.

A. Howick explained his initial concern at the lack of an RCD but was too late to act due to NCC’s removal of the fuse. He had been confident that there had been no danger to the public from the 24 volt car battery method of power. The Chairman thanked A.Vickers and A.Howick for their considerable assistance with the Christmas Tree lighting.

Re-instatement of Standing Orders PROPOSED: J.M.F.Royce SECONDED: J.P. Anderson

The Chairman thanked the members of the public for their attendance and they left the meeting at 8.40 p.m.

13/7: Finance Monthly Payments and Receipts:

Receipts and Payments: RESOLVED: That the receipts, since the last meeting, are noted and the Accounts in Appendix F1 be confirmed and authorised for payment.

PROPOSED: R.Davis SECONDED: B.J.Walker   Vote: All in favour.

Budget 12/13 Rolling Balances: The Clerk had circulated budget papers for the three monthly update on rolling balances. J.M.F.Royce commented on the lack of time for preparation of the papers due to the closure of the Council during the Christmas period. The bottom line figures showed the figures were within acceptable limits at this stage of the financial year.

A paper showing the Gotham News budget showed a shortfall of approximately £1,000 due to advertising revenue due in February 2013 which should re-cover the costs of printing. GPC allowed a £600 grant towards printing costs in the event of an   advertising revenue shortfall.

2013/14 Precept: J.M.F.Royce had contacted Ms. Peacock of RBC financial dept. who had confirmed that Parishes would most likely not face capping in the year 2013/14. An increase in tax would be paid up to 2%. GPC needed to be aware that finances would face a reduction in the following year with the expectation of quite dramatic cuts in funding. The RBC Cabinet Meeting on the 15th January, would make the final decision over the tax cuts and GPC would receive confirmation by 16th January, 2013. Taxation workshops for Town and Parish Councils would be held in the Spring for clarification of the new financial circumstances.

13/8: Report by Chairman of Planning and Development Committee (J.P.Anderson).

J.P.Anderson reported the following planning items:

A453 Widening: A meeting in Barton had been held with Laing O’Rourke Construction Co. representatives in attendance. An explanation of the A453 widening plans, to include the final closure of Barton Lane for the storage of spoil and heavy construction equipment. Discussions had included the inevitable rat running Gotham would endure and procedures that could be implemented to impede extra traffic through the village. The Contractors would ensure no heavy lorries involved in the work on the A453 would pass through Gotham. J.P.Anderson had spoken to the Headmistress of Gotham School re concerns over safety to pupils on Kegworth Road due to heavy traffic. Nott’s Highways would be contacted to provide temporary traffic lighting outside school.  A village traffic count in February, prior to Barton Lane closure and then in April following the closure might help calculate the difference in traffic numbers.

RBC Core Strategy: K.Mafham continued with his study of the Core Strategy in order to present the Inspector with a meaningful defence for the Green Belt. The Core Strategy had been criticised by the Inspector for its lack of a 70% build next to the urban area as suggested by the Regional Spatial Strategy. RBC had given a good account for their housing numbers. The justification for building the City’s overspill at Clifton was taken from historical figures which were pathetically outdated. The City would produce its Core Strategy in March 2013. There had been no traffic problems evinced by RBC and no attempt to run a traffic model. K.Mafham was gaining feedback from CPRE and working on a building good relationship with the Inspector in order to present the best defence campaign to save the green belt.

Affordable Housing: J.P.Anderson confirmed good feedback from St.Gobain regarding the possibility of securing land behind the Royal British Legion for affordable housing. Regarding a site in Gotham for affordable housing, J.P.Anderson and M.J.Sheppard had met representatives of The Royal British Legion to explain the possibility of a small housing development on land behind its premises.

13/9: Planning Applications Received: Nil.

13/10: Planning Decisions Received:

12/12 (ref: 12/01127/COU) 17 Moor Lane – Conversion of garage to a dog grooming parlour. –  GRANTED

12/14 (ref:   12/01663/FUL) 309 Leake Road – Single storey rear extension; first floor front extension:                                                                                                         Demolish side extension. – GRANTED

12/15 (ref:  12/01787/FUL)  2 Pygall Ave. – Side Extension. –   WITHDRAWN

13/10: Environmental Matters: (R.Davis – Vice Chairman).

Village Sculpture Quotation: R.Muir had drawn up the full costs of the village sign to include delivery, erection and site license. The batman figure would be cancelled. The cost of the sculpture would be £17,931. There was a shortfall of £2,741 from the present funds in budget. J.M.F.Royce thought the sum would exceed this amount due to a ten per cent allowance for unforeseen costs. The question posed was to either find the extra funding or pull the plug on the scheme which would mean repayment of donated funds and payment to the architect for his work to date. R.Muir asked Council to express their individual views on the project.

T.Vennett-Smith stated he could not personally support the scheme in the light of the fall in the economy. He considered the scheme would cost the wrong amount of money at the wrong time.

A lengthy discussion of the project ensued when the following points were made:

  • The years of work that had been spent on the project would be wasted.
  • The amount of time taken, must prove the project was flawed.
  • The grant monies and other donations would be returned.
  • The sculpture would be a unique piece of work that the village could treasure. The village and its history was worthy of this piece of work.
  • The project would raise the village profile.

T.Vennett-Smith requested a recorded vote:

PROPOSAL: That GPC should continue with the project and place the order with a 40% deposit and full payment when the work had been satisfactorily delivered.

PROPOSED: B.J.Walker   SECONDED: M.J.Sheppard.

Vote In Favour: E.Padden, R.Muir, G. Clark, D.Bexon, J.P.Anderson, R.Davis.

Vote Against: T.Vennett-Smith, J.M.F.Royce, K.Steed.

In accordance with Standing Orders, the Agreement for the erection of a village sculpture would lay on the table for 28 days.

E.Padden accepted R.Muir’s invitation to join the Village Sculpture project management team.

T.Vennett-Smith declared an interest in the next item: (Village Drainage System).

Village Drainage System: T.Vennett-Smith and R.Muir had inspected the Railway Walk drainage system, adjacent to the B.T. premises, which was blocked in several areas. A quotation of £900 had been obtained for drainage clearance.

PROPOSAL: Due to recent heavy rainfall which had caused flooding, the Clerk would obtain two more quotations, as soon as possible, for work to be carried out for a final decision on the best value quotation to be made by the Environment Committee.

13/11:  Memorial Hall Report:

M.J.Sheppard reported the following items:

A good December meeting was held, including enjoyable refreshments.

Future fundraising ideas – a Soul night, Bollywood night, Fashion Show.

J.M.F.Royce left the meeting at 10.25 p.m.

Memorial Hall Focus Group – thoughts on agenda for meeting on the 26th February, 2013.

PROPOSAL: Acceptance of remit drawn up by J.P.Anderson.

PROPOSED: J.P.Anderson  SECONDED: B.J.Walker Vote: eight in favour, two abstentions (declarations of interest).

In order to gain an insight into Councillors’ concerns re GPC’s role and responsibilities to the Memorial Hall/Recreation Ground complex, J.P.Anderson offered to draw up a resume of ideas received via email. The Clerk would inform Councillors’ of the opportunity to submit their thoughts/queries to J.P.Anderson to enable him to build up a list of items for discussion with Trustee representatives.

13/12: Gotham News & Media:     (R.Muir/J.P.Anderson)

J.P.Anderson would produce a four page edition of Gotham News for village information on the A453, RBC Core Strategy, Barton Lane closure, Village Christmas Tree.

K.Steed would join the Gotham News Editorial Team. R.Muir would approach Harry Carlton School for media apprentices.

13/13: Policing Matters/Vandalism (D.Bexon)

D.Bexon reported nil crime reported in Gotham during December, 2012.

E.Padden reported the Police Priority Setting meeting dates. She offered to attend the first meeting on the 16th January. The current priority for Gotham was speeding traffic.

T.Vennett-Smith left the meeting at 10.40 p.m.

13/13: Chairman’s Report             

The Chairman had attended an excellent W.I. Christmas Party. She considered the donation of £25 from GPC was derisory.

13/14: Clerk’s report:

The Clerk had sent a letter of thanks to A.Austin for her past work in organisation of the Gotham Luncheon Club.

A telephone message of thanks for the £250 grant to the Royal British Legion had been received. (Letter to follow).

A letter of thanks was read out from A.Howick for the case of wine received from GPC/MH Trustees thanking the family for their continued hard work towards village projects.

The Chairman and Clerk would attend an RBC environmental forum on the 7th February, 2013.

13/15: Matters to Report:

B.J.Walker reported the need for village noticeboard repairs due to dampness.

B.J.Walker called for shorter reports on environmental and planning issues due to the existence of minuted meetings circulated to Council prior to the main meeting. The item – discussion with the Memorial Hall representatives should gain a higher slot on the February meeting agenda.

13/16: Items for Next Agenda: Village Sculpture. M.H. meeting

13/17: Date of Next Meeting: The next meeting would be held on the 5th February, 2013.    Meeting concluded at  10.55 pm.

Minutes of the Meeting of the Environment Committee – 20 November 2012

MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF THE ENVIRONMENT COMMITTEE
HELD ON TUESDAY 20th NOVEMBER 2012

 COMMENCING AT 7.30 P.M. IN THE WELDON ROOM

Due to the cancellation of the Planning and Development Meeting, the Environment Committee agreed to meet at 7.30 p.m.

Members Present:   C.Dabell (Chairman), R.Davis, (Vice-Chairman) E.Padden, G.Clark, B.J.Walker,   M.J.Sheppard,

1/    Apologies: R.Muir, K.Steed,   British Gypsum representative: A.Gorringe.

2/    Acceptance of Apologies:

PROPOSED: R.Davis SECONDED: M.J.Sheppard     Vote: All in favour.

3/   Declaration of Interest: Nil.

4/ Minutes of the Previous Meeting:

RESOLVED:  That the Minutes of the Environment Committee, held on the 23rd October, 2012 as previously circulated, be confirmed and signed as a true record of the business transacted.

PROPOSED: B.J.Walker SECONDED: M.J.Sheppard Vote: All in favour.

5/  Progress arising from previous Minutes: Nil to report.

6/ Village Sculpture Meeting with Engineers/NCC

R.Davis had obtained the quotation received by R.Muir, from NCC to supply and install a 1 x 7.5m galvanised tubular steel post 168mm diameter in concrete foundation 1.5m x 1.5m x 1.1m on the verge outside the Royal British Legion. The cost would be £911.

PROPOSAL: Acceptance of the above quotation of £911 for the supply and installation of the steel post.

PROPOSED: R.Davis   SECONDED: M.J.Sheppard. Vote: All in favour.

Full costings of the project would be presented to main Council at the December meeting.

7/ Church Christmas Tree: (now referred to as ‘Village Christmas Tree).

C.Dabell reported progress since May, 2012 had steadily been achieved culminating in a vist to Notts Highways to deliver a risk assessment following a previous site meeting. NCC had provided a map of the underground utilities in The Square and had confirmed the project could be given the go ahead. RBC had confirmed in writing there was no requirement for planning permission given the small scale of the project. The fixture beneath the ground would sink to a depth of two feet so would not reach the water pipe which lay 1.7m beneath ground level.  A licence had been applied for with a cheque for £320 being forwarded to NCC. The costs of the tree and planter were as follows:

Christmas Tree                       £   100.00

Licence                                     £   320.00

Lighting                                    £   200.00

Planter/Fixing                          £   900.00

Electrician                                 £     60.00

Total:                                         £1,580.00

B.J.Walker and C.Dabell would obtain small chocolate santas for younger children.

A band would be hired to play carols for approximately one hour.

The local public houses had been invited to provide mulled wine paid for by consumers.

PROPOSAL: The date of the opening Carol Service was Friday, 14th December, 2012 at 6.p.m.

PROPOSED: M.J.Sheppard  SECONDED: C.Davis   Vote: All in favour.

M.J.Sheppard would provide posters.

8/  Lime Trees Planting on Leake Road:

The Clerk had received six broad leafed lime trees at a cost of £117 from Six Acre Nurseries, Costock. E.Padden, C.Dabell, R.Davis and G.Clark would plant the trees at 2.30 p.m. on Monday, 3rd December, 2012. Meet at the Old Rectory for tree collection.

9/  Pilot Lengthsman Scheme:

The Clerk reported she had been unsuccessful in her attempts to find an interested person to take on this responsibility.

10/ Any Other Business:

The Clerk reported several incidents of fly tipping had been reported on Hill Road. She had asked Streetwise to collect it.

B.J.Walker reported bollards, installed outside British Gypsum entrance on Leake Road, obstructed the pathway. The Clerk had spoken to British Gypsum maintenance crew who would question the reason for their installation. The Clerk would follow this up with an email to A.Gorringe.

11/ Date and Time of Next Meeting:

The next meeting of the Environment Committee would be held in the Weldon Room of the Memorial Hall on the 17th January, 2013 at  7.30 p.m.

Meeting closed at  9.05 p.m.

Minutes of the Meeting of the Planning & Development Committee – 18 December 2012

MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF THE PLANNING & DEVELOPMENT COMMITTEE HELD ON TUESDAY,  18TH DECEMBER, 2012 at 7.30 p.m. IN THE MEMORIAL HALL WELDON ROOM

Present:  J.P.Anderson (Chairman)   E. Rodgers, (Vice-Chairman) B.J.Walker, E.Padden, G.Clark, R.Muir,  K.Steed.

1/    Apologies: M.J.Sheppard,T.Vennett-Smith.  

2/    Acceptance of Apologies:

PROPOSED: R.Muir, SECONDED: B.J.Walker    All in favour.

3/    Declaration of Interest: Nil.

4/    Minutes of the Previous Meeting:  (There had been no meeting held in November, 2012).

RESOLVED:  That the Minutes of the Planning & Development Committee, held on the 30TH October, 2012, as previously circulated, be confirmed and signed as a true record of the business transacted.

PROPOSED: B. J. Walker   SECONDED: E.Padden. Vote: All in favour.

5/    Progress from the last Minutes, not on the Agenda:.

Item 10: Affordable Housing in Gotham: . An NCC representative had inspected the site behind The Royal British Legion and had submitted a report on the site to GPC. It had been copied to St.Gobain for their comments on the scheme.

6/    Planning Decisions Received:

12/13 (ref: 12/01666/FUL)  97 Nottingham Rd – Use part of premises for sale and display of upholstery                                                                                    products and for assembly of furniture – GRANTED

7/    Planning Applications Received: Nil.

8/    A453 Widening:

The Chairman had attended a meeting in Barton, together with representatives of the building contractors, Laing O’Rourke.  The timescale for the A453 widening was January, 2013 until the end of 2015. The main points were, closure of Barton Lane, flooding issues and planting of shrubbery adjacent to Barton. Barton Parish Council was happy with the plans and most of the meeting concentrated on final closure of Barton Lane in March, 2013 with work commencing in January, 2013. The reason for closure is mainly for safety issues regarding heavy plant and spoil storage. The implications of Barton Lane closure for Gotham were significant with extra vehicles rat running through the village and past the school. Some traffic slowing procedures might be implemented such as traffic lights at the Crusader roundabout, pedestrian crossing in Gotham to deter rat runners. A roundabout would eventually be built at Fabis Road crossroads to speed traffic flow. There would be no right turn from the A453 into the Clifton Petrol Station and the junction at the power station would be made difficult for right turners to further deter rat runners through Kegworth and Gotham. None of the above deterrents would be in place by March, 2013 so it would inevitably prove a difficult traffic situation in Gotham in the first months of the Barton Lane closure. NCC representative, Karen Nurse would put GPC in contact with transport manager, Peter Goode who might be able to implement the installation of temporary traffic lights at Gotham School to safeguard children and deter rat running down Kegworth Road. A pedestrian crossing near to the School would prevent inappropriate car parking as parking on the zig zag lines, either side of a crossing, was illegal.

B.J.Walker reported that Midland Station was being closed on a temporary basis in March, 2013 during the development of the transport hub. Rail passengers would use The Parkway Station which could further congest the A453. Public information evenings on the A453 widening were to take place at Clifton Leisure Centre on the 11/12th January and at Kegworth on the 13th January.

9/  Green Belt Issues:

The Chairman reported the Inspector had responded to the RBC Core Strategy critically due to the non conformation to the Regional Spatial Strategy in that too few houses were planned for the urban extension, as dictated in the original Strategy which referred to a ‘B Line Housing Policy’. The whole thrust for Gotham was to get the Regional Strategy repealed by March, 2013. GPC had the support of the Rt. Hon. Kenneth Clark and Planning Consultant, Ken Mafham would consult C.P.R.E. on this point. If the Regional Spatial Strategy was revoked, it would take a great deal of pressure from our situation. The Inspector had also complained about the lack of public consultation which was  another valid point. K.Mafham considered that these points would hold up the whole planning procedure. Their sustainability appraisal was weak and may not be upheld by the European Court. Another point for consideration is the current lack of mortgage availability which was not being taken into account by the Inspector’s insistence that not enough housing numbers were in the RBC Core Strategy. From the traffic aspect, RBC had run mitigation studies which would bring down the number of travellers’ initiatives. Travel options were: walking children to school, cycling, public transport, shuffle buses to the tram. All called ‘Smart Travel’. The report stated ‘there would be congestion in the local villages and it is up to the Developer to sort this problem out’. Without a development brief, RBC had taken the traffic responsibility out of the equation. It was obvious that if Clifton Pastures was developed, the problem of rat running would begin again. When the A453 is working and Barton Lane is closed, we would be able to gauge the affect on Gotham. GPC could run its own traffic study at that time. Finally, GPC needed to await the reaction of RBC to the Inspector’s report. The Chairman would continue to keep the Planning Committee updated on events with relevant emailed bullet points. In the worst case scenario,  with a large housing development at Clifton, the Chairman suggested a continuation of the Gotham by-pass might be an option to cope with extra traffic. The new transport hub at Junction 24 on the M.1. might influence traffic flow through Gotham. A SSSI is no barrier to the Highways Agency who could remove rare specimens to another site. E.Rodgers suggested an extension to the ring road could be routed around the Eastern side of the village, to join the mini roundabout on Leake Road. A discussion took place on the ring road issue and R.Muir suggested a village census on a by-pass continuation.

10/   NET:

The discovery of Iron age remains had stopped work at the Larkhill site.

11 /  Matters to Report:

R.Muir suggested a gift of wine for the Howick family to thank them for their work on the village Christmas Tree installation.

PROPOSAL: A gift of a £50 hamper of wine to be purchased for the Howick family.

PROPOSED: J.P.Anderson  SECONDED: E.Rodgers. Vote: All in favour.

M.J.Sheppard to purchase and deliver the wine.

The Clerk was asked to contact NCC Highways to ask them to cut back vegetation on Leake Road outside St. Gobain and adjacent to the beginning of The Ridgeway.

12/ Date & Time of Next Meeting: The next meeting would be held in the Weldon Room of the Memorial Hall on Tuesday, 22nd January, 2013 at 7.30 p.m.

Meeting closed at 8.55 p.m.

Minutes of the Meeting of the Planning & Development Committee 30th October 2012

MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF THE PLANNING & DEVELOPMENT COMMITTEE HELD ON TUESDAY,  30TH OCTOBER, 2012 at 6.30 p.m. IN THE MEMORIAL HALL WELDON ROOM

Present:  J.P.Anderson (Chairman) E. Rodgers, (Vice-Chairman) B.J.Walker, E.Padden, G.Clark, M.J.Sheppard, R.Muir.

1/    Apologies:, T.Vennett-Smith.     In attendance: K.Steed

2/    Acceptance of Apologies:

PROPOSED: R.Muir, SECONDED: B.J.Walker    All in favour.

3/    Declaration of Interest:

R.Muir and G.Clark in planning application: 12/12 (ref: 12/01127/COU) 17 Moor Lane.

K.Steed in planning application: 12/14 (ref: 12/01663/FUL) 309 Leake Road.

4/    Minutes of the Previous Meeting:

RESOLVED:  That the Minutes of the Planning & Development Committee, held on the 18th September, 2012, as previously circulated, be confirmed and signed as a true record of the business transacted.

PROPOSED: B. J. Walker   SECONDED: G.Clark. Vote: All in favour.

5/    Progress from the last Minutes, not on the Agenda: Nil to Report.

6/    Planning Decisions Received: Nil.

7/    Planning Applications Received:

R.Muir left the meeting at 6.35 p.m.

12/12 (ref: 12/01127/COU) 17 Moor Lane – Conversion of garage to a dog grooming parlour.

PROPOSAL: NO OBJECTION

PROPOSED: M.J. Sheppard   SECONDED: E.Rodgers   Vote: All in favour.

R.Muir returned to the meeting at 6.45 p.m.

12/13 (ref: 12/01666/FUL)  97 Nottingham Rd – Use part of premises for sale and display of upholstery                                                                                                                    products and for assembly of furniture.

PROPOSAL: NO OBJECTION

PROPOSED: R.Muir   SECONDED:  M.J. Sheppard   Vote: All in favour.

12/14 (ref:   12/01663/FUL) 309 Leake Road – Single storey rear extension; first floor front extension: Demolish                                                                                                            side extension.

PROPOSAL: NO OBJECTION

PROPOSED: R.Muir   SECONDED:  M.J. Sheppard   Vote: All in favour.

12/15 (ref:  12/01787/FUL)  2 Pygall Ave. – Side Extension   

PROPOSAL: NO OBJECTION

PROPOSED: R.Muir   SECONDED:  E.Rodgers   Vote: All in favour.

The Chairman welcomed East Leake Councillors, C.Oatey and C.Thomas who arrived at the meeting at 7.p.m.

8/    Neighbourhood Plan For East Leake

PROPOSAL: Suspension of Standing Orders.

PROPOSED: R.Muir SECONDED:  M.J. Sheppard   Vote: All in favour.

C.Oatey explained the decision of East Leake Parish Council to produce a Neighbourhood Plan to give some clout to the villages aims and desires for its future. Recently, the Council has received an unprecedented amount of large scale planning applications which might be due to the Local Plan having not yet been adopted causing Developers to believe they have a better chance of getting planning applications passed beforehand.

If the Neighbourhood Plan has gone through the due process and passed a referendum, its content will be taken into account (as part of the 2011 Localism Agenda). It is bound to be adopted by RBC.

Features of the Plan to be recognised are:

Design Principles – draw up a preliminary project plan.

Housing and employment opportunities.

Village Boundary to be as the Civil Plan.

To date, there are precious few guidelines to assist in the drawing up of a Neighbourhood Plan as the Government has recently relaxed planning rules and there is no fixed template.

No specific building sites identified but ideas in principle for future plans to be judged against. (Similar to the Parish Plan drawn up in 2004).

Preservation of the surrounding hillsides and keeping desirable views intact.

It is felt that East Leake is a hub village for surrounding smaller villages so it was important to include those adjacent villages in discussions.

Another group is drawing up a Community Plan which has no statutory power but, as an exercise only and concerned with the functions of the village.

The Neighbourhood Plan is financed by the Parish Council but RBC might also help fund as a referendum is costly.

East Leake Parish Council would value any information regarding infrastructure that would help Gotham and try to evolve the village centre away from the look of a large car park! C.Oatey would write an article for Gotham News giving contact details of East Leake Parish Council and its Clerk would be happy to accept comments and ideas from Gotham parishioners.

The Chairman thanked C.Oatey and C.Thomas for their attendance and they left the meeting at 7.20 p.m.

PROPOSAL: Re-instatement of Standing Orders.

PROPOSED: E.Rodgers  SECONDED: R. Muir. Vote: All in favour.

9/    Green Belt Issues:

The Chairman reported Planning Consultant, Ken Mafham, had continued his research into other Counties Examinations in Public or adopted Core Strategies. There are a number of common themes. The starting point at the Public Examination is that the Strategy is sound unless shown to be otherwise.  There is a general willingness to let local planning authorities attempt to achieve high housing numbers, even if current market conditions are not good. This is the Government’s perception that building is a key component in getting the country out of recession and will be accepted by Inspectors. The Regional Plan for the East Midlands is still a danger as it is the source of all the big housing numbers. In the case of Greater Nottingham, the Regional Plan in turn took them from the last Governments Growth Point Initiative which bypassed the main stream planning system and involved negligible public participation. K.Mafham hopes that by the time the Public Examination takes place, the Regional Plan will have been revoked. He is planning to contact the relevant officials in the department for more information.

The Chairman suggested the need for a meeting of K.Mafham and the original Steering Group in February, 2013.

10/    Affordable Housing in Gotham:

J.P.Anderson and M.J.Sheppard met Notts County Council representative, Paul Ghatiora earlier today to view several sites suitable for affordable housing. British Gypsum is drawing up a concept plan on a suitable site. Four other sites, identified by Midland Homes, had not been offered for sale by their owners. P. Ghatiora would submit a report to GPC on his findings. Building would take up to eighteen months which would see the end of  the current affordable housing scheme.  Planning applications and traffic surveys need to be completed. J.P.Anderson urged other Parish Councillors to view affordable houses in other parishes, such as Cropwell Bishop.

11/   NET update at Barton on the 8th November, 2012)

Meeting postponed until the end of November. Discussions include tree planting and lighting, etc.

12 /  Matters to Report:

J.P.Anderson reported that Barton Lane was due to close in January, 2013 and never be re-opened.

PROPOSAL: Letter of objection to the closure of Barton Lane to be sent to The Highways Agency urging them to retain an access road open for as long as possible.

PROPOSED: J.P.Anderson SECONDED: B.J.Walker  Vote: All in favour.

J.M.F.Royce arrived at the meeting at 7.50 p.m.

Large amount of building waste fly tipped on Hill Road had been removed.

A letter had been received from NCC regarding verge improvements on Nottingham Road. The Commercial Access to the Garage and private house next door – no immediate action to improve the verges but the householder/business holder would be entitled to a private representation with NCC for further discussion. The scheme might meet approval for the next round of Local Improvement Scheme grant funding.

13/ Date & Time of Next Meeting: The next meeting would be held in the Weldon Room of the Memorial Hall on Tuesday, 20th November, 2012 at 7.30 p.m.

Meeting closed at 8.00 p.m.