MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF GOTHAM PARISH COUNCIL
Held on 2nd APRIL 2013 in the Weldon Room, Gotham Memorial Hall at 7.30pm
Present: R.Muir (Chairman), M.J.Sheppard, (Vice-Chairman), J.M.F.Royce, E.Padden, R.Davis, K. Steed, G.Clark. C.Dabell, T.Vennett-Smith, B.J.Walker
13/54: Apologies. J.P.Anderson, E.Rodgers, D.Bexon.
13/55: Acceptance of Apologies:
PROPOSED: R.Davis SECONDED: G.Clark Vote: All in favour.
13/56: Declaration of Interest:
Trustees, M.J.Sheppard, D.Bexon and G.Clark in matters relevant to the Memorial Hall/Recreation Ground.
13/57: Minutes of the previous meeting:
Resolved: That the previously circulated Minutes of the Meeting of the Parish Council held on the 5TH March, 2013, be accepted as a true record, with the following amendment: Pg. 2. 13/49: Chairman’s Report PROPOSAL: 9TH Sentence – add ‘and her complaint was based on ‘hear say’ PROPOSED: T.Vennett-Smith SECONDED: E.Padden. Vote: four in favour, two against and four abstentions. (one declaration of interest)
Pg. 3 13/46: Memorial Hall Focus Group – Report on Meeting held on the 26th February, 2013. Second sentence – remove word ‘near’.
PROPOSAL: E.Padden SECONDED: K.Steed Vote: All in favour.
Progress from the Minutes: Nil to report.
13/58: Finance Monthly Payments and Receipts:
Receipts and Payments: RESOLVED: That the receipts, since the last meeting, are noted and the Accounts in Appendix F1 be confirmed and authorised for payment.
PROPOSED: J.M.F.Royce SECONDED: R.Muir Vote: All in favour.
Appointment of internal auditor:
PROPOSAL: Appointment of G.Stafford to carry out an internal audit of the GPC accounts for 2012/13.
PROPOSED: T.Vennett-Smith SECONDED: M.J.Sheppard Vote: All in favour.
C.Dabell arrived at the meeting at 8.05 p.m.
13/59: Report by Chairman of Planning and Development Committee: (Chairman J.P.Anderson and Vice Chairman E.Rodgers absent)
13/60: Planning Applications Received: Nil.
13/61: Planning Decisions Received:
13/1: (ref: 13/00107/FUL) 2 Pygall Avenue, Gotham – side extension – GRANTED
13/3: (ref:13/00034/FUL) The Grange, Kegworth Rd. – erectiion of single storey pole barn for storage of feed and tractor.- GRANTED
Report on Meeting re A453 on 26th March, 2013 (M.J.Sheppard)
M.J.Sheppard and J.P.Anderson had attended a meeting with members of Barton Parish Council and the contractors, Laing O’Rourke, currently undertaking work on the widening of the A453. The discussion was mainly centred on the closure of Barton Lane at the end of April, 2013 and the inconvenience this would cause Barton residents, especially the access to the Nottingham Road bus stop. Temporary traffic lights at the top of Manor Road, at its junction with the A453, would be installed for Barton residents to allow safe access. They would be activated by traffic from Barton but would be set on green for the A453 traffic for the majority of the time. Access to Top Farm would be retained. J.P.Anderson had re-iterated Gotham’s concerns at an increase in traffic through Gotham when Barton Lane had closed and this matter was being considered by Notts County Council Highways Department. The Contractors had taken bridleways and footpaths in the area into account and these would be undisturbed. The recent GPC traffic study had been complimented by NCC as ‘a well run process’.
Mr. Noakes, of Laing O’Rourke, had inspected the Memorial Hall Car Park with a view to assistance with its re-surfacing. An e-mail had since been received confirming their refusal to carry out the work but advising that ‘another Contractor might be interested in the work in the future’.
An RBC Core Strategy technical meeting 9th April, 2.p.m in the RBC Council chamber would be attended by B.J.Walker.
13/62: Environmental Matters: (C.Dabell).
Village Post Box: The Chairman had received a reply to the Clerk’s enquiry re the continued absence of the A4 sized post box which was to have been replaced before Christmas 2012. A letter from Malcolm McBride, Royal Mail Customer Service Adviser, stated ‘that there had been an assumption that as there were already two lamp-post boxes, a third had to meet approval’. The Clerk would reply to Mr. McBride that this move was unacceptable and that the Village required access to an A4 sized letterbox, as soon as possible.
T.Vennett-Smith reported a letter had been received from the Post Office re the opening of a Post Office Counter in the Spar shop. Progress was slow on arrangements between both parties. The Clerk reported, disability access had been requested in the Local Improvement 2013 initiative and measurements had been carried out to the Spar entrance.
Village Sculpture: R.Muir reported a successful meeting with D.Charlesworth and F.Lunn on the 6th March, also attended by G.Clark and M.Raven (engineering consultant). A final schedule of work was being drawn up to include paint finish, opening ceremony etc. R.Davis reminded Council that a manual of paint finish should be drawn up for future maintenance of the Sculpture. A low key re-enactment of the tales would be arranged by a committee to include D.Whattley, R.Muir, S.Lymn-Brewin and M.J.Sheppard. M.J.Sheppard would liaise the publicity and marketing of the Ceremony.
A background hedgerow had been discussed at the Environment Committee Meeting when Portuguese Laurel had been chosen for Autumn planting. A.Vickers was undertaking work on a Trail Board and Sponsor Board to be placed back to back and sharing a single post. R.Muir reported that NCC had refused to remove the village seat from its present site. The Clerk would seek a reason for this refusal from K.Hourd of NCC.
13/63: Memorial Hall Report: Nil to report.
13/64: De-Fibrillator for Gotham:
K.Steed suggested GPC ask the Bus Company whether or not they would share their de-fibrillator equipment and make it more accessible to the public. T.Vennett-Smith thought the equipment would be best stored in the vicinity of the Memorial Hall/Recreation Ground. M.J.Sheppard would refer the matter to the Trustees for a possible contribution towards the cost of the equipment.Village groups could be contacted re a contribution towards the cost. A group of people would need to be trained in the use of the de-fibrillator. Agenda item at the Village Meeting.
13/65: Policing Matters/Vandalism: (D.Bexon)
D.Bexon had sent a report re the reason for the camera moounted on a lamp post outside 32 Leake Road. The Police had installed the camera in order to monitor traffic through the village following incidents of criminals travelling from Leicester in order to commit crime in the Gotham and surrounding areas.
13/66: Gotham News & Media:
R.Muir thanked the editorial team for their work and contribution to the current issue of Gotham News. She especially thanked K.Steed for her help.
13/67: Annual Village Meeting – 30th April, 2013.
Agenda item – De-Fibrillator.
The Clerk reported County Councillor L.Sykes was unable to attend the Annual Village Meeting. The Clerk had invited Borough Councillor T.Vennett-Smith to report on recent Borough Council events. The Chairman and Clerk would meet to draw up the agenda. It was agreed, there was no requirement for Club and Associations to draw up lengthy written reports due to the availability of the Village website and Gotham News. Should an organisation wish to read out a report or raise a point of interest regarding their society, they would be welcome.
13/68: Chairman’s Report
The Chairman had received the following correspondence:
Canal and River Trent Spring Event – Trent Lock on the 19th May, 2013.
13/69: Clerk’s report:
The Clerk had reported several incidents of fly tipping to Streetwise.
The Clerk had reported the faulty street light in The Square.
13/70: Matters to Report:
J.M.F.Royce had not yet spoken to the Parishioner concerned about the ongoing problem of untidy verges outside Gotham Garage.
E.Padden reported a large amount of mis-directed post. The Clerk would contact Royal Mail.
K.Steed reported a new wave of loud bird scarers on The Ridgeway. T.Vennett-Smith suggested she speak to the farmer concerned.
13/71: Items for Next Agenda: Village Sculpture. De-Fibrillator. Annual Village Meeting.
13/72: Date of Next Meeting: The Annual General Meeting would be held on the 7th May, 2013. Meeting concluded at 9.00 pm.
T.Vennett-Smith tendered his apologies for the A.G.M.