Minutes of a Meeting of the Environment Committee (16/05/17)

Members present: Councillors, C.Dabell G. May, J.M.F. Royce, P. Bower, S. Kent, J. Youatt.

1.     Election of Chairman:

Nomination: C. Dabell.


C. Dabell thanked the Committee but refused the office of Chairman in favour of a younger face on the Council.

2nd Nomination: G. May.

PROPOSED: C. Dabell  SECONDED: P. Bower Vote: four in favour, one against, one abstention.

2.     Election of Vice-Chairman:

Nomination: P. Bower.

PROPOSED: G. May  SECONDED: S. Kent. Vote: four in favour, one against, one abstention.

3.     Apologies: D. Bexon, G. Hutter.

Acceptance of Apologies: PROPOSED: J.M.F. Royce  SECONDED: G. May. All in favour.

4.     Declaration of Interest: Nil.

5.     Minutes of previous meeting:

RESOLVED:  That the Minutes of the Environment Committee, held on the 20th April, 2017 as previously circulated, be confirmed and signed as a true record of the business transacted, with the following amendment. Pg 2 item 11.   Autumn Bulb Planting: remove words ‘ten sacks’. It was agreed, this would be too many. Amount to be decided.

PROPOSED: P. Bower      SECONDED: G. May.  Vote: All in favour.

6.       Progress Arising from the Minutes:

Item 7. Dog Mess – Progress on signage: M. Wilkins had designed a batman style warning to dog users to clear up dog mess. Clerk to price lamination and production of twelve signs for display around the village.

5.     Flooding – Up to date progress:

The Clerk reported, RBC had confirmed acceptance of the grant for flood prevention equipment and £1,050 would be paid to GPC in due course.

J.M.F. Royce reported, the County Council had used a pressure hose to clear the culvert under Leake Road. The drain measures four feet in diameter. The dyke, adjacent to the New Rectory, is a foot higher than the bottom of the culvert so more digging out work needs to be undertaken to level it down to allow water to flow freely. Diesel from the bus depot has been allow to seep into the drain. NCT need to install a sludge trap.

The manhole, outside the bus depot, has been cleared.

Moor Lane drains – storm water has been diverted into sewer, a practice which needs reversing.

NCC not yet cleared the ditch next to Lowe’s field, adjacent to the Brickyard.

Monks Lane flooded recently due to an obstruction in the pipe. This requires a camera inserting to detect the blockage.

8.     Well House Refurbishment (Conclusion)

The Heritage Lottery Grant final payment had not yet been received.

The Clerk had entered the Well House into the CPRE Best Kept Village Competition 2017.

9.    Railway Walk – Long term planning – revised date of site meeting:

The site meeting to take place on Thursday, 1st June, 2017 at 7.30 p.m. meet outside the former Royal British Legion. (Clerk unable to attend).

10.   Village Seat repairs – progress

J.M.F. Royce reported, D. Urry progressing the Gypsum Way seat repair – cost £120 to repair the seat using treated soft wood. J.M.F. Royce to strim the long grass in front of the Gypsum Way seat.

D. Urry had quoted £265 to clear the visibility in front of the Cheese Hill seat and repair it. (J.M.F. Royce to clarify the amount of clearance of shrubbery to be undertaken).

PROPOSAL: Acceptance of the two quotations for village seat repairs, as above (with shrubbery clearance acceptable).

PROPOSED: G. May SECONDED: P. Bower. Vote: All in favour.

D. Healey in the process of repainting the village seats starting with the Village Sculpture seat. The next to be refurbished will be the two seats outside the old Post Office. (Agenda item at full Council).

The Clerk had asked NCC to price the removal of the dilapidated seat, opposite to the bus depot. J.M.F. Royce suggested the installation of a proper bus shelter in its place.

C. Dabell progressing numbered tags for village seat identification.

11.  Litter:

MacDonald’s restaurant at Clifton is causing extra littering along Nottingham Road.

12.  Progress  on Noticeboard Improvements:

M.Raven had drawn up a lengthy report re the need, plus some prices, for two metal frames on the existing wooden structure. The cheaper version was unsightly and the more attractive version too expensive.

C. Dabell to ask D. Urry for a written quotation. Depending on the cost, two other written quotations to be sought.

13.   Village Verges:

Some of the verges look very messy, especially the one on Nottingham Road against the former British Legion building. G. May to ask S. Watson who is responsible for mowing this verge.

The Village Sculpture verge not to be mown until June to allow bulbs to die back.

14. Matters to Report:

Play Equipment: J.M.F. Royce reported that he and M. Raven had removed a piece of play equipment due to its poor condition. Streetwise had noticed the broken equipment and would be advised of its removal. They could offer a quotation for its repair, if required.

CPRE Best Kept Village Competition 2017: The Clerk had entered the newly refurbished Well House into this competition.

13.   Date and Time of Next Meeting:

The next meeting will be held in the Weldon Room of the Memorial Hall on Tuesday, 20th June, 2017 at 8.30 p.m.

Meeting closed: 10.00 p.m.

Notice of a Meeting of the Environment Committee (18/07/17)


Mrs J A Raven

Clerk to the Council

33 Leake Road



NG11 0HW

Tel: 0115 9830863

Email: gothamparishclerk@outlook.com

13 July 2017

Dear Councillor,

YOU ARE duly summoned to attend an ENVIRONMENT COMMITTEE MEETING to be held on

TUESDAY, 18th July, 2017

commencing at 7.30 p.m. in the Weldon Room of the Memorial Hall.

Yours sincerely,

J.A.Raven, Clerk to the Council


1.           Election of Chairman

2.           Election of Vice-Chairman

3.           Apologies

4.           Declaration of Interest

5.           Minutes of previous Meeting held on the 16th May, 2017

6.           Progress Arising from the Minutes

7.           Flooding –  Up to date progress

8.           Railway Walk – Long term planning and funding

9.           Traffic Calming Interactive Speed Sign.

10.         Village seat repairs – progress

11.         Litter

12.         Progress on Noticeboard improvements

13.         Village Verges

14.         Matters to Report

15.         Date and Time of Next Meeting.

Committee Members: P.Bower (Vice-Chairman), C.Dabell, G.May, J.M.F.Royce, D.Bexon, S.Kent, J.Youatt.

Distribution: All Councillors.

Members of the Public and Press are cordially invited to attend.

Minutes of a Meeting of Gotham Parish Council (06/06/17)

Present: G. Hutter, (Chairman), A. Clayworth, (Vice-Chairman), J.M.F. Royce, P. Bower, S. Kent, J. Youatt ,  G. May, M. Wilkins, J.P. Anderson, D. Bexon,  B.J. Walker.

In Attendance:  County Councillor A. Brown,

17/123: Apologies: H. Taylor, C. Dabell,  County Councillor R. Adair, Borough Councillor S. Matthews.

17/124: Acceptance of Apologies:

PROPOSED: J.P.Anderson  SECONDED: B.J. Walker. Vote: All in favour.

17/125: Report by County Councillor, A. Brown:

County Councillor A. Brown reported the following items:

Councillor Brown has been re-elected to serve Notts County Council for a further four years with the second highest count in the County. Also serving on the Planning, Notts Fire Authority and Joint Strategic Transport Committees.

County Councillor Reg Adair appointed to Deputy Leader of Notts County Council.

A new flashing bus stop sign to be installed outside the Gotham Bus Garage instead of outside 5 Leake Road.

As arranged, the dilapidated public seat, opposite to Gotham Bus Garage, has been removed by NCC

Suggest a wooden bus shelter is installed to match to one outside the Bus Garage.

The NCC Traffic Survey, carried over a week in March 2016, had been handed to J.P. Anderson. Results show an 11% reduction in traffic since the opening of the A453.

The Local Mineral Plan will be reviewed. Nottingham currently have a 10 year supply of minerals.

Councillors A. Brown and R. Adair plan to work together joining forces to cover larger items.

The Council Community Fund remains in place and might be increased.

One million pounds has been pledged for Council road works to reduce pot holes, etc.

The 1960’s Class Building at the County Hall has been demolished. Discussions re the use of the site include a walkway for the public to access the River Trent embankment.

A complaint had been received re the Leake Road pavement which makes pushchair and  wheelchair pushing difficult.

A request in March,  for the clearance of two street gulleys in The Square had not yet been addressed.

The Chairman thanked County Councillor A. Brown for his attendance. He left the meeting at 8.00 p.m.

17/126: Report by Borough Councillor, S. Matthews: Nil.  (Apologies received).

17/127: Declaration of Interest:

Memorial Hall Trustees in any business pertaining to the Memorial Hall.

17/128: Minutes of the previous meeting:

Resolved: That the previously circulated Minutes of the Parish Council Annual meeting held on the 2nd May, 2017 be accepted and signed as a true record of the business transacted with the following alterations:

Pg. 3. 17/111:  Flooding Improvements: 4th sentence: remove ‘seeped into’ replace with ‘contaminated’.

Pg. 3. 17/112: Playgroup Improvements: 3rd sentence: remove ‘chain links from Wicksteeds’.

Pg. 5. 17/120: Matters to Report: reword 6th paragraph: J.M.F. Royce to renovate Cheese Hill seat.

Acceptance of amended Minutes: PROPOSED J.P. Anderson SECONDED: G. Hutter. Vote: All in favour.

17/129: Progress from the Minutes: Nil to report.

17/130: Finance: Monthly Payments and Receipts:

1. Monthly Payments and Receipts

PROPOSAL: Acceptance of Payment and Receipts.

PROPOSED: J.M.F. Royce  SECONDED:  B.J. Walker.

Vote: All in favour.

2. Approval of Audit 2016/17:

The Chairman read out the accounting statements and signed the Audit paper, endorsed by the R.F.O.

PROPOSAL: Acceptance of the Audit for year ending 31st March, 2017:

PROPOSED: J.P.Anderson SECONDED: B.J. Walker Vote: All in favour.

The Clerk reported, G. Stafford no longer willing to undertake the internal audit. A letter of thanks to be sent to him together with a gift, purchased by B.J. Walker.

3. Handelsbanken Change of Signatory:

PROPOSAL: J.P. Anderson to replace ex Councillor M.J. Sheppard as a third bank signatory at Handelsbanken.


Vote: All in favour.

Application form completed for Clerk to submit.

4. Application for Grant in support of Gotham Fest:

The Clerk had received details of the skip hire and First Aid assistance, approximate cost – £500.

PROPOSAL: Invoices to cover the skip hire and first aid to be sent to GPC directly. Clerk to inform M. Lowe. PROPOSED: J.M.F.Royce SECONDED: G. May. Vote: All in favour.

New Monitor for Gotham News Layout £299. Cheque made out to M. Wilkins to cover these costs.

Scouts application for Great North Run – Agreed sum of £130 to be paid in October, 2017 following a successful Run in September.

17/131: Memorial Hall Report:

G. Hutter reported, a vinyl floor had been laid on top of the wooden one in the Memorial Hall main hall.

The Trustees to continue to pay for Playground insurance.

Playground and Maintenance:

J.M.F. Royce had drawn up a specification for removal of the former Witch’s Hat concrete circle which had been highlighted for removal by ROSPA. Suggestion to leave returfing of the area until September was considered unwise by Council. Three contractors had been contacted to carry out the specified work after Council’s approval. S. Kent suggested a methodology statement should be included within the specification.

Following a disagreement between two Councillors, G. Hutter left the meeting at 8.40 p.m.

PROPOSAL: J.M.F. Royce to alter the specification to include an earlier work commencement date, during June, and include a methodology statement. He would submit the tender to the three chosen contractors without further delay.

PROPOSED: A. Clayworth  SECONDED: G. May. Vote: nine in favour, one against.

The basketball white backboard to be retained – football goal net to be replaced.

Vice Chairman, A. Clayworth took the Chair for the remainder of the meeting.

Representative to serve on the Sports Arena Committee:

S. Kent volunteered to serve as a representative on the Sports Arena Committee.


PROPOSED:  J. P. Anderson SECONDED: J. Youatt. Vote: All in favour.

Clerk to inform the Sports Arena Secretary, P. Dines.

17/132: Chairman of Planning and Development Committee:

J.P.Anderson reported, he had received notification from RBC that the former Royal British Legion site was being put on the market again. As GPC hold an Asset of Community Value, it could put a six month  moratorium on the site to allow a decision on its future to be considered.

J.P. Anderson had attempted, unsuccessfully to speak to the Agents handling the sale.

The site is in a state of dereliction.  An appeal to RBL to keep the site in a kempt state could be made.

NCC had recently mown the verges in front of the site.

PROPOSAL: To hold a Public Meeting to allow parishioners a say in the future of the former RBL site.

Agreed date: 27th June, 2017 at 7.30 p.m.  A house to house leaflet drop to be carried out advertising the date. (700  A5 leaflets to be printed by Temple Printers).

PROPOSED: J.P. Anderson  SECONDED: G. May. Vote: Nine in favour, one abstention.

RBC Local Plan Part 2.

The recent traffic survey carried out by GPC and other volunteers had been sent to D. Prior for analysis.

The main flow of traffic was from Nottingham through to East Leake.

The traffic survey should have commenced at 7 a.m. to catch early commuters.

RBC Preferred Option due in September, 2017.

Neighbourhood Plan:

A report had been received from Gotham School re current school numbers.

17/133: Planning Decisions Received: Nil.

17/134: Planning Applications Received:

Ref: 17/01238/FUL – 120 Leake Road – single storey rear extension. – to be discussed at the next Planning Meeting on the 20th June, 2017.

17/135: Report by Chairman of the Environment Committee:

Representative to serve on the Gotham Countryside Trust:

Nomination: G. May.

PROPOSED: A. Clayworth  SECONDED: J.P. Anderson. Vote: All in favour.

Village Seats: The remaining seat, opposite to Gotham Bus Garage, is unused and needs cleaning and repainting.

D. Healey currently carrying out rolling programme of village seat repairs and maintenance.

Well House: The last part of the Heritage Lottery Grant had been received. (£2610). GPC’s contribution to the Well House refurbishment totalled £5,800.

Railway Walk: Five Councillors attended the Railway Walk site meeting. Timetable of work to be drawn up.

Cemetery Sub Committee Meeting: Meeting held on the 16th May, 2017. J.P. Anderson to draw up a specification of the front row of graves to be straightened and tidied. Apron grass cutting to be monitored. Top end of Cemetery looking smarter due to work, undertaken on Orchard Street and pruning of the Leylandii. Some tidying to the top left hand side of the Cemetery to be specified.

Large yew tree showing some dead branches which need removal.

17/136: Flooding Progress Report: (This item to be removed from the main agenda).

There had been no more work carried out since last reported. The grant for sandbags not yet received. Sandbags have a life of between five and ten years and cost £5 each. Two hundred to be ordered for storage and distribution to householders. It is important to make individual householders aware of their own responsibility to store sandbags at their own property for easy and quick access.

PROPOSAL: Meeting to continue to conclude the business on the Agenda.

PROPOSED: A. Clayworth  SECONDED: M. Wilkins. Vote: All in favour.

17/137: Clerk’s Appraisal:

A. Clayworth to carry out appraisal on Monday, 12th June, 2017.

17/138: Policing Matters/Vandalism:

April crime figures received. Attempted vehicle break in.

B.J. Walker to attend a Police Priority Setting meeting in Tollerton on the 14th June, 2017.

17/139: Gotham News and Media:

M. Wilkins progressing the July edition of G.News. Copy date, 29th June, 2017. D. Bexon to proof read.

17/140: Chairman’s Report: Nil.

17/141: Clerk’s Report: Nil.

17/142: Matters to Report:

Interactive Bus Timetable: PROPOSAL: Interactive bus time table sign to be sited outside the Gotham Bus Garage.

PROPOSED: J.P. Anderson SECONDED: G. May Vote: All in favour.

Ridgeway Seat: J.M.F. Royce had strimmed around the Ridgeway public seat.

Next Meeting: B.J. Walker tendered her apologies for the next meeting.

17/143: Items for Next Agenda:  Cancellation of August meeting for Holiday. Policy: Tape recording meetings.

17/144: Date of Next Meeting: The Meeting will be held on Tuesday, 4th July, 2017 at 7.30 p.m.

Meeting closed at 10.15 p.m