Minutes of the AGM of Gotham Parish Council (07/05/13)

MINUTES OF THE ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING OF GOTHAM PARISH COUNCIL
HELD ON 7th MAY 2013 IN THE MEMORIAL HALL WELDON ROOM, COMMENCING AT 7.00 P.M.

Present: R.Muir, (Chairman),  M.Sheppard (Vice-Chairman), J.M.F.Royce, E.Padden, G.Clark, J.P.Anderson, B.J.Walker, R.Davis,  C.Dabell, K.Steed.

13/73: Appointment of Chairman for the ensuing year: (2013-2014).
It was moved by R.Davis, seconded by M.J.Sheppard, that R.Muir should be appointed Chairman for the ensuing year. A recorded vote was requested by J.M.F.Royce.
In favour: R.Muir, J.P.Anderson, G.Clark, R.Davis, K.Steed, M.J.Sheppard, C.Dabell.
Against: B.J.Walker, J.M.F.Royce.
R.Muir thanked the Council and agreed to serve as Chairman and signed the Acceptance of Office form.
B.J.Walker stated she was unable to vote for R.Muir to stand as Chairman for 2013/14 in view of the Chairman’s conduct in public had twice fallen below the standard expected of an elected member of the Council.
She questioned the accuracy of the 2012 AGM Minutes stating that R.Muir had received a ‘unanimous vote’ to stand as Chairman for that year as she had not cast her vote in favour. She had not brought this matter to Council’s attention at the next meeting, in June, when the Minutes were formally approved.

13/74: Appointment of Vice-Chairman for the ensuing year: (2013-2014).
It was moved by G.Clark, seconded by C.Dabell, and carried by unanimous vote, that M.J. Sheppard be appointed Vice-Chairman for the ensuing year. M.J.Sheppard thanked the Council and agreed to stand as Vice-Chairman and signed the acceptance of office form.

13/75: Apologies: D. Bexon, L.Rodgers,  T.Vennett-Smith.

13/76: Acceptance of Apologies:
PROPOSED:C.Dabell  SECONDED: G.Clark.  Vote: All in favour.

13/77:  Declaration of Interest: Elected Trustees in any matter concerning the Memorial Hall/Recreation Ground.

13/78: Appointment of Committee Members and 4 Trustees to serve on Memorial Hall/Recreation Ground Trust:

Finance Committee Members:
J.M.F.Royce, G.Clark, B.J.Walker,  J.P.Anderson.
Ex officios – R.Muir, M.J.Sheppard
Planning & Development Committee Members:
J.P.Anderson,  B.J.Walker,    G.Clark,   E.Padden, E. Rodgers, T.Vennett-Smith, K.Steed.
Ex officios – R.Muir, M.J.Sheppard
Nominees to act as Trustees of the Memorial Hall/Recreation Ground.
D.Bexon,  G.Clark, M.Sheppard, K.Steed.
Environment Committee Members:
E.Padden, G.Clark, C.Dabell, R.Davis, K.Steed.
Ex officios – R.Muir, M.J.Sheppard.
Cemetery Sub-Committee:
J.P.Anderson, D.Bexon, C.Dabell, G.Clark. – PCC Representatives: D.Power, A.Farnsworth.
Ex officios – R.Muir, M.J.Sheppard

13/79:  Appointment of Members for Working Parties/Groups:

Sports Arena Management Committee:
J.P.Anderson, M.J.Sheppard.
Gotham News Editorial.
D.Bexon, E.Padden, R.Muir, M.J. Sheppard, K.Steed.
Gotham Website.
K.Steed- website. (Webmaster – S.Butler)

13/80:  Appointment of Delegates/Representatives:
N.A.L.C:    B.J.Walker/Clerk
Parish Paths Partnership:    C.Dabell, R.Muir to assist ex Councillor, K.G.Thorpe.
Neighbourhood Watch:    B.J.Walker
Police Liaison:    D.Bexon, L.Rodgers
C.P.R.E:    B.J.Walker

PROPOSAL: To accept the list of Councillors to serve as representatives on the aforementioned Committees.
PROPOSED: R.Muir  SECONDED: M.J.Sheppard. Vote: All in favour.

The four Trustees of the Memorial Hall/Recreation Ground declared an interest in any business concerning the Memorial Hall and Recreation Ground for the forthcoming year.

The Chairman stated that Committee/Sub-Committee Chairmen would be appointed at the first meeting of the Committee in question.

Mr.T.Priestley arrived at the meeting at 7.25 p.m.

13/81: Minutes of the previous meeting:
RESOLVED: That the Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held  2nd April, 2013 as circulated, be signed as a true record of the business transacted, with the following amendments: 13/57  Minutes of the previous meeting: add Seconded: E.Padden delete R.Davis. Planning and Development Report:  Add Vice-Chairman,  E.Rodgers, absent.
PROPOSED:J.P. Anderson SECONDED: M.J.Sheppard Vote:  All in favour

D.Power arrived at the meeting at 7.30 p.m.

Progress from the Last Minutes:
13/62: Village Sculpture: R.Muir confirmed the reason NCC would not agree to the removal of the village seat from the verge adjacent to The Royal British Legion was the fact that it was implicated in the crash test. A crescent shaped wall constructed out of British Gypsum material (material available at no cost) could replace the seat if built to the required height and would prove a more suitable element of the village sculpture site.
13/64: De-Fibrillator for Gotham: M.J.Sheppard had not approached the Trustees of the Memorial Hall re part funding the acquisition of a de-fibrillator. He would do so when general agreement of a site had been reached.

E.Padden arrived at the meeting at 7.35 p.m.

The Chairman announced Item 20 on the Agenda Chairman’s Report  – parishioners request to NCC for traffic restrictions on Leake Road opposite to the Church. – would be discussed next to allow Mr. T.Priestley to raise his points.

PROPOSAL: Suspension of Standing Orders.
PROPOSED: E.Padden  SECONDED: J.M.F.Royce  vote: All in favour.

Mr. T. Priestley outlined his submission to NCC Highways for traffic restrictions to be installed either side of the entrance to Church Street. He emphasised the danger to car drivers’ pulling out of Church Street due to  car parking on Leake Road, opposite to St.Lawrence Church obscuring the view. He called for three clear places either side of the junction to allow car drivers’ exiting Church Street a view of Leake Road. He called for the Parish Council’s support for his submission.
Mr.D.Power fully understood the difficulty but considered excessive car parking on Leake Road, opposite to St. Lawrence Church,  happened rarely and yellow lines would be an unnecessarily draconian measure. The PCC were in the process of educating visitors to the Church and Church Hall of the necessity to park with courtesy to residents. Notices were posted inside and outside the Hall and articles would appear in the Messenger to emphasise the matter.

Ms.Laura Trussler of NCC Highways had indicated that car parking restrictions would entail a lengthy procedure of up to ten months. An NCC Committee meeting would need to take place to make the parking restrictions legally enforceable.  The process would be helped by written support by GPC.

The Parish Council agreed to approve the submission to NCC for parking restrictions on Leake Road either side of the entrance to Church Street. (dated 7th May, 2013).

Mr.T.Priestley and Mr. D.Power left the meeting at 8.05 p.m.

POROPOSAL: Re-instatement of Standing Orders.
PROPOSED: J.P.Anderson  SECONDED: G.Clark  Vote: All in favour.

13/83: Finance Monthly Payments and Receipts:
Receipts and Payments: RESOLVED: That the receipts, since the last meeting, are noted and the Accounts in Appendix F1 be confirmed and authorised for payment.
J.M.F.Royce reported the first payment of the Council Precept, amounting to £18,416 had been received.
J.M.F.Royce drew Council’s attention to the first recorded claim for £12.01 for a Councillor’s petrol expenses.
The drain scan, conducted by Lane’s, on the Memorial Hall driveway during April had cost £595 plus VAT.
PROPOSAL: That funds of £595 should be drawn from the Car Park Refurbishment Capital of £2,500.
PROPOSED: J.M.F.Royce SECONDED: J.P.Anderson  Vote:  All in favour.
M.J.Sheppard suggested two representatives from GPC and the Trustees ‘project manage the car park project and report back to each party’.
PROPOSAL: Acceptance of the Monthly Finance Sheet for May, 2013.
PROPOSED: J.P.Anderson  SECONDED: M.J.Sheppard. Vote: All in favour.

Acceptance by the Parish Council  of the Audit for Year end  2012/13:
The Chairman read out the financial conditions that the Council had  adhered to during the year 2012/13.
PROPOSAL: To accept the Audit of the Accounts for the year 2012/13.
PROPOSED: J.P.Anderson SECONDED: M.J.Sheppard Vote: All in favour.
The Chairman and Clerk signed the Audit sheet. The Clerk would forward the accounts to the Internal Auditor, Mr.G.Stafford for his  inspection and approval.

Recommendation from Planning Committee to use £500 from the existing green belt budget, currently standing at £2,952, for part payment to commission a report by C.P.R.E. to save the Clifton Pastures green belt land.
PROPOSED: J.P.Anderson SECONDED: R.Muir. Vote: All in favour.

Budget for the Re-Enactment of the Village Tales at the Village Sculpture Unveiling:
PROPOSAL: Diamond Jubilee under spend funds of £620.38 to be vired towards the expenses to be incurred re-running a selection of Village Tales at the Village Sculpture Unveiling Ceremony on the 29th September, 2013.
PROPOSED: R.Muir  SECONDED: J.M.F.Royce. Vote: All in favour.
J.M.F. Royce suggested an early application for additional funding, should it prove necessary, due to a reduced amount of available funds for allocation.

J.M.F.Royce had researched current bank interest rates received from the Co-operative Bank. It had been explained, that the 14 day account currently paid less interest than the Current Account. A Short Term Deposit Bond was available within the Current Account on a one month – six month basis.
PROPOSAL: The Clerk and J.M.F.Royce be given discretionary powers to move funds from the 14 Day Account to the Current Account to benefit from the higher interest rate. A minimum of £25,000 for six months would attract interest of £125.
PROPOSED: J.M.F.Royce  SECONDED: J.P.Anderson. Vote: All in favour.

M.J.Sheppard left the meeting at 8.55 p.m.

13/84: Chairman’s Report: Planning & Development Committee: (J.P.Anderson)
RBC Core Strategy: J.P.Anderson reported an RBC Cabinet Meeting would take place on the 14th May, 2013 when a decision was expected on the siting of 3,500 extra houses within Nottinghamshire. It was expected that 500 would be designated to Clifton Pastures. More consultations, the green belt review and traffic studies would follow which would take a significant length of time. GPC would be entitled to comment on the changes to the Core Strategy and an Examination in Public could be held in the New Year 2014. By that time, it would be known if the houses will be built following the confirmation of Nottingham City housing numbers. The only hope of the housing not being built would be due to Nottingham City housing numbers being reduced. Gotham might obtain traffic calming measures and cycling routes if Clifton Pastures were developed. K.Mafham was unconvinced of the requirement for such large housing numbers which had been ‘plucked from the air’. It might be worth fighting the case with a legal case. He had spoken to Anna Soubry M.P. on the viability of such high housing numbers in the current financial downturn. J.M.F.Royce reported a new community charge (instruction levy per house) plus the planning permission costs had been implemented which would increase the costs of new building.

Affordable Housing in Gotham: No news from A.Gorringe of St.Gobain re release of land to the rear of The Royal British Legion.
A453: The closure of Barton Lane had been delayed. A repeat village traffic count would take place, following the Barton Lane closure, to compare the amount of traffic through Gotham.

13/85: Planning Decisions Received:     Nil.

13/86: Planning Applications Received:
13/5     (ref: 13/00705/FUL) – 18 Leake Road – Single storey side and rear extension (demolish existing rear                                  single storey lean-to)
PROPOSAL: NO OBJECTION.      PROPOSED: E.Padden  SECONDED: R.Davis  Vote: All in favour.

13/6: (ref: 13/00707/FUL) – 8 Fairham Avenue – Single storey side extension plus 2 rear bedroom extensions.
PROPOSAL: NO OBJECTION.     PROPOSED: R.Davis  SECONDED: J.P.Anderson. Vote: All in favour.

Village Pump Electrics: The Clerk had received a planning application from Joe Mitson of RBC re extra electrical equipment in the Village Pump. M.J.Sheppard had advised the Clerk that RBC had approved the work.

13/87:  Environmental Matters: (C.Dabell)
Village Sculpture Progress/Village Post Box/Royal Mail postal service:
R.Muir had received a RBC application form entitled ‘Grant to Plant’ which offered a single £200 grant for village planting in celebration of the 2013 Test Cricket Ashes. The question of Village Sculpture background hedging was discussed with the possibility of the grant partially funding the planting. G.Clark thought bare root hedgerow plants would be more successful planted in the Autumn which would be past the closing date for the grant. The application  was passed to the Clerk for submission with the Bidwell Close planters in mind. R.Muir would provide photographs of the planters.
PROPOSAL: Application for Grant to Plant to be submitted to cover cost of Bidwell Crescent plants.
PROPOSED: R.Muir SECONDED: E.Padden  Vote: All in favour.

R.Muir had circulated a virtual reality photograph of the Village Sculpture at the Village Meeting showing a low crescent- shaped wall in the foreground built out of British Gypsum material. The wall might replace the existing village seat.
R.Muir reported, a small group of Councillors, to include ex. Councillor G.Trickett and Trustees, A.Vickers and L.Bramley would assist with the unveiling of the Village Sculpture ceremony. S.Lymn-Brewin was inviting participants from village groups to take part in the presentation of the Village Tales which would commence at the Bus Depot and finish at the Memorial Hall.

Village Post Box: R.Muir had spoken to Philomena Graham of Royal Mail of GPC’s displeasure about the lack of an A4 sized post box. She sought assurance that the replacement of the original box would be carried out in the near future. She had been advised ‘the Royal Mail supplier was manufacturing a new Post Box’. She had taken the matter up with Peter Bennett, Beeston Distribution Supporter, who had been unable to offer any more advice. She suggested applying to the Ombudsman over the matter. C.Dabell had been advised, the correct contact was Post Office Counters and not Royal Mail.

Royal Mail Postal Service: R.Muir had received complaints from parishioners and had also experienced frequent incidents of  items of mail delivered incorrectly. Some items of mail sent in error, should have been delivered to different Counties. The Clerk would make enquiries re poor postage sorting.

13/88: Annual Village Meeting held on the 30th April, 2013:
The Clerk reported 34 parishioners and Councillors attended the Annual Village Meeting.
Reports given by Borough Councillor Trevor Vennett-Smith, Gotham School Headmistress, the Police and the History Society. J.P.Anderson had updated the meeting on Planning issues. Mr. G.Whitehead had given a presentation of a de-fibrillator. Village groups had been advised that news of their societies could be posted on the village website or in Gotham News. The Chairman had welcomed a new family to the village who were keen to participate in village activities.

13/89: Report on the Focus Meeting with Trustees of the Memorial Hall/ Recreation Ground on 23rd April, 2013:
J.P.Anderson reported a positive meeting with work progressing on a ‘Memorandum of Understanding’.
Recreation Ground Car Park: B.J.Walker called for a discussion re GPC responsibility for funding a proportion of the costs of the car park resurfacing. J.M.F.Royce suggested GPC fund half of the car park costs and all the drainage. He confirmed GPC’s commitment to supporting the cost of the car park and funds had been built up over many years and were held in reserve with this project in mind.
PROPOSAL: GPC agree in principle to fund the drainage and part fund the re-furbishment of the Recreation Ground Car Park.
PROPOSED: J.M.F.Royce  SECONDED: B.J.Walker.  Vote: All in favour.

13/90:  Policing Matters:
E.Padden reported, the Police Priority Setting Meetings could be held in the Gotham Memorial Hall. The meetings are routinely run in village halls, free of charge. She asked a GPC Trustee to enquire whether the Weldon Room could be made available, free of charge, for one of the future meetings.

13/91: Gotham News:
J.M.F.Royce reminded Council, that the Gotham News costs were now over £2,400 in deficit. R.Muir would instigate advertising revenue to cover the overspend.

13/92: De-Fibrillator:
Photographs of a de-fibrillator cabinet were circulated. J.M.F.Royce re-iterated his suggestion that GPC would be able to fund a de-fibrillator if necessary. The Trustees  had agreed, in principle, to house the equipment within the grounds of the Memorial Hall. E.Padden offered to research funding opportunities. Agenda item for June, 2013.

13/93:  Chairman’s Report: Nil to report.

13/94: Clerk’s Report:
The Clerk had enquired at RBC re the whereabouts of a ‘St. Lawrence Close’ street sign for the new development of houses on the old Manor Farm site. She had been assured by RBC that the developer’s had a name plate on order which would be erected in the near future.
The Clerk would be out of the office from 13th – 21st June, 2013.

13/95: Matters to Report:
J.P.Anderson reported, members of the Cemetery sub-Committee had met on site to draw up a maintenance list of jobs which had currently been put out to tender. These included, repainting of front railings, re-coping of wall and tidy of front border.
K.Steed reported temporary traffic lights were in position on The Ridgeway for a month.
B.J.Walker reported, Andrew Brown had been elected County Councillor, successor to L.Sykes. The Clerk was asked to invite Mr. Brown to a meeting of GPC.

13/96: Date and Time of Next Meeting:  Tuesday, 4th June, 2013 at  7.30 p.m. in the Weldon Room.
Meeting closed at 10.15 p.m.