Minutes of the Meeting of the Finance Committee 30th October 2012

MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF THE FINANCE COMMITTEE HELD TUESDAY 30th October, 2012 AT 8.00 P.M. IN THE MEMORIAL HALL WELDON ROOM

Present:     J.M.F.Royce, R.Muir, B.J.Walker, G.Clark, M.J. Sheppard.

1/   Apologies: Nil    In attendance: K.Steed

2/   Acceptance of Apologies: N/A

3/   Election of Chairman:

It was moved by M.Sheppard, seconded by B.J.Walker and duly carried, that J.M.F.Royce be appointed Chairman of the Finance Committee.

Vote: four in favour, one against.

J.M.F.Royce thanked the Committee and agreed to stand as Chairman for the ensuing year.

4/   Election of Vice-Chairman:

It was moved by R.Muir, seconded by M.Sheppard and duly carried, that G.Clark be appointed Vice-Chairman of the Finance Committee.

Vote: All in favour.

G.Clark thanked the Committee and agreed to stand as Vice-Chairman for the ensuing year.

5/   Declaration of Interest: Trustees, G.Clark and M.J.Sheppard in any matter pertaining to the Memorial Hall/Recreation Ground.

6/  Minutes of the Finance Committee Meeting held 22nd November, 2011:

RESOLVED: The Minutes of the Finance Committee Meeting held on 22nd November, 2011, as previously circulated, be confirmed and signed as a true record of the business transacted.

PROPOSED: G.Clark   SECONDED: R.Muir Vote: All in favour.   

Progress: Nil to report.

7/   Bank Account Balances

a. current account – current balance: £  1,392.00 (after the payment of the October, 2012 bills)

b. 14 day account –  current balance: £ 52,358.00 (plus account interest)

c. Santander bond – current balance: £54,077.17 (re-invested with Santander at 3.20% for one year).

8/   2012/13 Budget Rolling Balances:

The current ongoing budget papers 1 – 3, prepared by the Clerk, were circulated to the Committee for inspection.

Revenue Paper 2: Nil to report.

Environment Paper 3: An item on the Cemetery Costs concerning the mowing contract had gone over budget due to one extra cut. The Clerk was in contact with the contractor. One Railway Cut too few had been carried out and one more than specified had been carried out on The Square bays.

Capital Paper 1: The repayment of Green Belt costs due from Barton and Thrumpton had not yet been received. The Gotham Tales would not be held until the unveiling of the Sculpture and, therefore, applications for outside funding was in abeyance.

Recreation Ground: Paper 4: To be discussed at the next meeting.

9/ Capital Allocations To Date for 2012/13: (Brought forward from 2011/12)

SSSI land –maintenance fund –        £    500

Village Pump:                                       £    500

Cemetery Sinking Fund:                    £    150

Turf Treatment:                                    £    500

Car Park Resurfacing:                        £ 2,000

Total:                                                      £ 3,650

10. 2012/13 Ongoing capital allocations/provisions/recommendations

a. Village Pump:                                  £    500

b. Cemetery Development Top up:  £    500 (taken out of 2013/14 budget)

PROPOSAL: To main Council that £500 per year is added to the Cemetery Development Fund).

PROPOSED: J.M.F.Royce SECONDED: G.Clark Vote: All in favour.

11/   Funding Requests/Applications to Date:

a)           Netball Club:

An application for funds had been received from E.Lomas of Gotham Netball Club for the purchase of clothing and equipment.

R.Muir and M.J.Sheppard spoke in favour of further support for the Netball Club of up to £250 over the 2012/13 financial year.

R.Muir left the meeting at 9.05 p.m.

Recommendation to main Council to support the Netball Club to the sum of £170 for the purchase of four sets of balls. That the Netball Club would be invited to re-apply for funds at the end of the 2012/13 financial year for any left over small grant funds to cover  further equipment requirements. Equipment invoices would be paid directly by GPC.

PROPOSED: B.J.Walker SECONDED: M.J.Sheppard Vote: All in favour.

b)          Environment Recommendations from Meeting held on: 18/09/2012.

  1. Christmas Tree Planter costs should be drawn from the Planter/Boundary sign embellishment budget of £1,500.

PROPOSAL: That £668.97 be added to Christmas tree project budget of £836 from the underspend for 2012/13).

PROPOSED: J.M.F.Royce SECONDED: M.J.Sheppard Vote: All in favour.

 2. Pump Sinking Fund be increased by £500.

PROPOSAL: Add £500 to the Pump Sinking Fund.

PROPOSED: J.M.F.Royce SECONDED: G.Clark Vote: All in favour.

3. Cemetery Maintenance: Annual Maintenance Fund of £150.

PROPOSED: Continuation of the £150 Cemetery annual maintenance fund.

PROPOSED: J.M.F.Royce SECONDED: G.Clark Vote: All in favour.

 4. Railway Walk Capital – £140 Top up fund.

PROPOSAL: Top Up of  £140 towards Railway Walk Capital.

PROPOSED: M.J.Sheppard SECONDED: B.J.Walker Vote: All in favour.

 5. Christmas Tree Decorations the sum of £200. (Item deleted).

 6. Add three extra figures to the Village Sculpture – the sum of £1,500.

PROPOSAL: Additional £1,500 to fund three extra figures to the Village Sculpture.

PROPOSED: B.J.Walker SECONDED: M.J.Sheppard Vote: Three in favour, one against.

7. Recommendation to add any underspends, up to £1,000  from the 2012/13 Environment Budget, as a ‘one off fund’ towards the Village Sculpture.

PROPOSED: B.J.Walker SECONDED: G.Clark. Vote: Three in favour, one against.

12/   + (For discussion at the next meeting).

13/  Any Other Financial Matters to Report: Nil to report.

14/ Date and Time of Next Meeting: 27th November, 2012 in the Weldon Room of the Memorial Hall at 7.30 p.m.

Meeting closed at 10.00 p.m.

Gotham Pantomime: Sleeping Beauty

This year’s production will be Sleeping Beauty.

There will be 3 performances this year, Friday 7th December at 7.30pm, Saturday 8th December at 2.00pm and 7.30pm.

Tickets: Adult £5, Child £2.50 (under 16)

 

Get your tickets from:

  • Jordan – 07519 605158
  • Judith – 0115 846 5262
  • Helen – 0115 983 1017
  • Spar shop

Gotham Nature Reserve Trust

The Lease was signed after 5 ½ months of planning on Thursday 1st November 2012. Saint Gobain / British Gypsum have leased the ‘Sandbanks’ site to the Gotham Nature Reserve Trust in a 99 year lease. The Trustees will be inviting everyone to another Public Meeting when details will be explained about the restoration work that has to be done on the site, and how the working parties will be organised. As before, it will be an opportunity to ask questions and offer suggestions about what is now ‘a piece of real estate that belongs to us — the community’ So why not become a member of this worthwhile organisation?  It’s free, no subscription, but you’ll be kept in touch with what’s happening.

Our first fund raising effort was a ‘gardens open day’ on Sunday 24th June 2012 with tea and cakes in the Church Hall. It was well organised by Karen Steed and enjoyed by all who attended.

Many thanks to Andrew Vickers who led us on a well attended ‘Heritage Walk’ around the village, surrounding hills and paths, on Saturday 8th September 2012, explaining fascinating little-known facts, and history of our village which was all very interesting and well presented.

The Rec gets some new play equipment

The Memorial Hall Chairman, Andrew Vickers, obtained some new play equipment for the Recreation Ground and several Trustees and some willing helpers painted it at Howick’s Farm and then installed it on the Recreation Ground – all in a day. After this great team effort, there is now £10,000 of playground equipment and it is all proving very popular.

Scouts’ Sunday Lunch Fundraiser

Considering the weather we had through the summer you may have thought us crazy to organise an outdoor fundraising activity! But the chance of rain did not dampen the enthusiasm of many people for one of Mary Howick’s Sunday lunches and their faith was justified.

On Sunday 9th September 2012 over 100 people congregated in Mary and Arthur’s back garden to enjoy a fabulous meal. We started with a variety of Mary’s wonderful homemade soups, followed by a choice of lamb dishes or poached salmon with asparagus sauce. There was a truly amazing selection of desserts and we finished with cheese and biscuits.

What’s more, the sun shone throughout so that we had to open the sides on the marquee and the chocolate mints melted before we ate them (with a teaspoon!). It was a lovely event, enjoyed by all — and as an added bonus it raised a magnificent sum for the Scout Hut purchase fund.

Many thanks go to Mary and Arthur for hosting the lunch, our excellent young waiters and waitresses and the many helpers behind the scenes. But mainly of course to Mary for the wonderful meal.

Helen Lomas

Minutes of the Meeting of Gotham Parish Council 2nd October 2012

MAIN MINUTES OCTOBER, 2012

MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF GOTHAM PARISH COUNCIL 2nd OCTOBER, 2012, held in the Memorial Hall, Weldon Room, COMMENCING AT 7.30 P.M.

Present:    R.Muir (Chairman), M.J.Sheppard, (Vice-Chairman),

J.M.F.Royce, B.J.Walker, G.Clark, J.P.Anderson, E.Padden, R.Davis, T.Vennett-Smith, E.Rodgers, D.Bexon

In the Clerk’s absence, E.Padden recorded the minutes of the meeting which commenced at 7.35 p.m.

12/179: Apologies: C.Dabell.  In attendance: Mrs. K. Steed.

12/180: Acceptance of Apologies:

PROPOSED: R. Davis SECONDED: D.Bexon.  Vote: All in favour.

12/181: Declaration of Interest:

Trustees, M.J.Sheppard, E.Padden and G.Clark in matters relevant to the Memorial Hall/Recreation Ground.

British Legion members, J.M.F.Royce and T.Vennett-Smith on Agenda item 6. Civic Wreath.

12/182: Minutes of the previous meeting:

2/165: delete 7.40pm and insert 7.35 pm in its place.

12/166: last sentence of first paragraph: delete £562 and insert £674.40 in its place.

12/167: delete “amounted” to “estimated” in the fourth sentence.

12/168: in the last sentence, insert “by Trustees” after “submitted and before “to”.

12/176:  in the fourth sentence, insert “, British Gas” after “Telecom” and before “and”.

Resolved: That the previously circulated Minutes of the Meeting of the Parish Council held on the 4th September 2012, be amended as noted above and afterward accepted as a true record.

Progress from the Minutes:

12/66: Regarding the bill for printing costs from Caine Douglas, J.P.Anderson requested a copy for presentation to Barton Parish Council for its records and to allow payment of half the amount to Gotham Parish Council.

12/171: The following Councillors requested a paper copy of the Code of Conduct: T.Vennett-Smith, J.M.F.Royce, and E.Rodgers. C.Dabell had also requested a copy.

12/173: A cheque in payment of a Gotham News advertisement was returned to Richardson’s Carpets due to a payee error. This was still outstanding.

12/183. Casual Vacancy

Resolved: that the Vice-Chairman (M.J.Sheppard) would take the chair during this item.

Proposed: R. Muir Seconded E. Rodgers.

C. Dabell arrived at 7.50pm.

K.Steed left the room during the discussion and returned after the vote.

Resolved: that the meeting go into camera due to the nature of the discussion.

Proposed: J.M.F.Royce   Seconded: J.P. Anderson.

Council voted using ballot papers. There were four applicants.

Following discussion and voting, Mrs Karen Steed was elected by the required majority.

Resolved: the meeting should return to full session.

Proposed: T. Vennett-Smith. Seconded: J.M.F.Royce.

12/184: Finance Monthly Payments and Receipts:

Receipts and Payments: RESOLVED: That the receipts, since the last meeting, are noted and the Accounts in Appendix F1 be confirmed and authorised for payment. (The October payment sheet would be circulated to Council, as soon as possible). The Cheques were signed for payment.

PROPOSED: J.P.Anderson SECONDED: J.M.F.Royce Vote: All in favour.

12/185: Civic Wreath.

Resolved: That a Civic Wreath be obtained through the Gotham and District Branch of the British Legion and that GPC’s donation of £250 be given as in previous years, the cheque to be dated after 11th November 2012.

Proposed: B.J.Walker Seconded: J. P. Anderson. Vote: Ten in favour, Two abstentions (due to interest): T. Vennett-Smith, J.M.F.Royce.   Carried.

12/186: Playground Equipment and letter from Trustees.

A quotation by Wick steeds for a replacement “Sputnik” was received along with a letter from the Trustees advising of its suitability. The item cost was £2,912 plus VAT, the delivery charge being £145.60 plus VAT.  Resolved: that above item is purchased for the playground using funds in the Capital Budget.

Proposed: J.P.Anderson Seconded: J.M.F.Royce. Vote: All in Favour.

12/187: Report by Chairman of Planning and Development Committee (J.P.Anderson).

A training meeting on Localism had been attended by E. Padden and B.Walker which they had found informative and reported to the last Planning subcommittee meeting.

E.Rodgers reported that there was evidence of a traffic survey in the village being carried out in the village, and that David Prior thought it would be unhelpful data given the works at Clifton.  J. P. Anderson felt it was likely to be NCC and offered to try and find out more details.

The Local Plan process appears to have stalled. It was suggested that we write to ask Rushcliffe Borough Council (RBC) for an up to date schedule of all the relevant projected events and activities.  J. P. Anderson plans to investigate the possibility of joining with Barton representatives in meeting with RBC to further our understanding of the procedures after meeting with Ken Mafham.

The Village Walk aimed to identify suitable sites for building affordable homes.  Waterloo Housing Association had completed its report and the results have been received, though from Waterloo Housing Association rather than directly from RBC.  In addition, Midland Housing had already contacted landowners of the four most promising sites from a planning point of view without passing their information to us first.  Some of these have responded but the picture is not clear yet.  Investigations continue with regard to our preferred site behind the British Legion.

12/188:  Planning Decisions Received:     Nil.

12/189:  Planning Applications Received:

 (Ref: 12/01596/FUL) 12/11 Oaklands, Eyres Lane – single storey front and side extension.

PROPOSED: NO OBJECTION.

PROPOSED: R.Muir SECONDED: E.Rodgers. Carried.

12/190: Environmental Matters:

Village Sculpture Quotation: A meeting is being arranged to enable the representatives appointed by the Environment Committee to meet with the relevant professionals assisting with the practical aspects of the project.

Post Box: It is a significant problem that a central post box is no longer available in the centre of the village.  With proper strategic planning, the old box might have been relocated, successfully and to the advantage of all, near to the existing telephone box.  The two small post boxes are not sufficient for the village’s needs, although E. Rodgers suggested that increased frequency of collections might offset this problem.  T. Vennett-Smith has written to Royal Mail and awaits a reply.  BW has asked questions and been told that it would take a minimum of two months to implement change.  J.M.F.Royce is to be provided with the relevant phone number to aid our enquiries.

A strong letter is to be sent to the Royal Mail in view of the distress to villagers caused by a stubborn lack of strategy on the part of the company, despite having information to the effect of several months’ notice that changes would be necessary.

Christmas Tree: The committee continues to consider a range of options with a view to providing a Christmas Tree for the village.  Arthur Howick had offered to help make a large planter, to be placed between the pump and the church wall, which would securely hold a large tree during the Christmas season and provide a raised flowerbed at other times.  Since it may be possible to set up a cascade of sectional planters using the central sleeve when the tree is removed, prices are to be obtained for this.  Suitable trees could cost approximately £80 from Oldham’s farm, Costock.

12/191:  Memorial Hall Report:

Notable events being planned at present are a Curling Tournament and a Christmas Cabaret.  The Curling event will be on Saturday 27th October at 7pm, tickets costing £8 and a hot supper being provided.  The Cabaret will be on 24th November, tables of 8 to be booked at £18 per person and a festive dinner to be provided.

Further matters regarding item 11 were held over until after item 12.

T. Vennett-Smith left the meeting at 9.20 p.m. giving his apologies for next month’s meeting.

12/192: Meeting with Memorial Hall Representatives re Recreation Ground responsibilities: (proposed meeting: 23rd October).

This meeting, of representatives of both the Trustees and the Council, was to take place on the date above but will now be held on Tuesday 27th November at 7.30pm: details are still to be confirmed.

Meeting held on 10th July: E. Rodgers reported that initial discussions had shown that the views of Councillors would be useful to bring forward to the next meeting on the 27th November, 2012.

All members agreed that the Trustees have done noteworthy work maintaining, improving and developing the Hall and the Recreation Grounds.  The following discussion centred on how best to support them in the carrying out of their responsibilities.

Approximately £12,000 of the annual precept is  currently spent on assisting with the maintenance of the Hall and Recreation Ground. A number of members felt that that an annual, or monthly grant of this or a similar amount directly to the Trustees might have benefits for that group, including direct control over its own budgetary decisions and quicker availability of funds when required.  (Some members also felt that such a system would be respectful towards the people who give their time to the Hall and Grounds.)  As the Trust cannot claim VAT exemption, money would not buy as much when spent by this way, so this independence could be expensive, adding to either the fundraising burden of the Trustees or to the tax burden on parishioners.

It was pointed out that if we are to make such an arrangement, the amount should be in line with the proportion of the precept we currently devote to this end, so might be subject to increases or decreases accordingly.  However, some members wished to make it clear that, as Councillors we have a responsibility to support this important facility and should the Trustees need further support in the future this should not be refused purely on the basis that they had been awarded their funds.

B. J. Walker left the meeting at 9.50 p.m.

12/193: Memorial Hall Report (continued)

A letter from A.Vickers (Chairman of the Memorial Hall/Recreation Ground Trustees) was read out giving a résumé of the condition of the car park and some options for its improvement.  Quotes and advice had been obtained. To cover the full list of improvements thought advisable, £25,000 plus VAT would be needed.  In the short term, some urgent improvements are called for and our support was requested.  Environment subcommittee is to consider this in more detail.

There was a call for clarity in the headings of the spreadsheets so that items relating particularly to the Memorial Hall might be easily identified by any councillor.

12/194: Policing Matters/Vandalism (E.Rodgers and D.Bexon)

September crime figures not yet circulated.

12/195:  Gotham News & Media   (R.Muir/J.P.Anderson)

The police are making an appeal to all householders to keep access doors closed, thus preventing opportunist thieves from entering their homes.  They would like this subject mentioned in Gotham News.

12/196: Chairman’s Report            R. Muir thanked all Councillors for their work.

12/197: Clerk’s report      Nil.

12/198: Matters to Report

A villager has requested clarification regarding the status of Eyres Lane as a private road or otherwise.  J.P.Anderson to find out more from the Highways authority.

The Clerk had ordered the Winter Salt supply.

12/199: Items for Next Agenda: A quotation for work on the car park.

12/200: Date of Next Meeting: The next meeting will be on 6th November 2012.    Meeting concluded at 10.10 pm.

T.Vennett-Smith recorded his apologies for the December Council meeting.